Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AnxiousTheElephant
    • By AnxiousTheElephant 9th Feb 18, 5:02 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 2Thanks
    AnxiousTheElephant
    Advice on unknown debt
    • 9th Feb 18, 5:02 PM
    Advice on unknown debt 9th Feb 18 at 5:02 PM
    Been contacted about a debt which I hadn't no idea about. Requested CCA which has been emailed. No date so can't see when it's from. Checked credit report and can't see it on there...?

Not sure where to go with this next
Page 1
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 9th Feb 18, 5:19 PM
    • 30,944 Posts
    • 19,567 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 9th Feb 18, 5:19 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 5:19 PM
    Been contacted about a debt which I hadn't no idea about. Requested CCA which has been emailed. No date so can't see when it's from. Checked credit report and can't see it on there...?

Not sure where to go with this next
    Originally posted by AnxiousTheElephant
    What is the debt for ?
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
  • National Debtline
    • 9th Feb 18, 5:28 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 5:28 PM
    Hi there

Does the response to your CCA request show this is your debt? And have you checked all 3 credit reference agencies? It is possible for them to show different information.

If this is a very old debt it could be one reason it's not showing on your credit file. Debts drop off 6 years after the default is registered. If that's the case it might also suggest they could be out of time to collect the debt. Any more information you can provide will help us give you further advice.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 9th Feb 18, 5:47 PM
    • 13,227 Posts
    • 12,641 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 9th Feb 18, 5:47 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 5:47 PM
    What does it actually say on the credit agreement ?

Are they your details ?

May be out of time to collect on this, but, as others have said, we wont know for sure until we know more, can you provide more details ?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • AnxiousTheElephant
    • By AnxiousTheElephant 9th Feb 18, 7:21 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    AnxiousTheElephant
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:21 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:21 PM
    It's a 6 page document but yes the details are correct.. not sure what other info you may need
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 9th Feb 18, 7:27 PM
    • 13,227 Posts
    • 12,641 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:27 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:27 PM
    It's a 6 page document but yes the details are correct.. not sure what other info you may need
    So its a debt you recognise yes, what was the original debt for, credit card, loan, catalogue account, bank account ????

You may be able to use the limitations act to your advantage here.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 10-02-2018 at 12:00 AM.
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

• AnxiousTheElephant
    • By AnxiousTheElephant 9th Feb 18, 7:31 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    AnxiousTheElephant
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:31 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:31 PM
    No I do not recognise it. I have been contacted by opos limited. They say their client is kapama limited. The credit agreement is with Microcredit.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 9th Feb 18, 7:52 PM
    • 13,227 Posts
    • 12,641 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:52 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:52 PM
    No I do not recognise it. I have been contacted by opos limited. They say their client is kapama limited. The credit agreement is with Microcredit.
    So its not youre debt ?

Send the provit letter to them.

Available here :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2607247

You must dispute liability.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 10-02-2018 at 9:05 AM.

• fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 9th Feb 18, 10:30 PM
    • 11,943 Posts
    • 9,024 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:30 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:30 PM
    So it’s not you’re debt ?

Sent the provit letter to them.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    For future reference, if anyone gets contacted about a debt they do not recognise...

send the prove-it first and then consider a CCA request.

Fermi explains the logic here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2607247
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,841Posts Today

7,057Users online

Martin's Twitter