Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bristleposh
    • By bristleposh 9th Feb 18, 4:51 PM
    • 80Posts
    • 69Thanks
    bristleposh
    Is it possible
    • 9th Feb 18, 4:51 PM
    Is it possible 9th Feb 18 at 4:51 PM
    To open a bank account, have a debit card, with no ingoings and no direct debits.

The reason I ask is having received a lump sum and having no savings accounts, the money is resting in one of two current accounts I have. Both have to have so much per month going in, and two direct debits going out. One of the accounts is a joint account the other is in just my name. I would like to get one in my wifeís name but other than what I do with my account (taking out £1k from one account and putting it into the other account) and having two set direct debits.

I now have no more direct debits to spread to a third account and fear I may forget to transfer the money one month.
Page 1
    • Wellard Mann
    • By Wellard Mann 9th Feb 18, 5:28 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Wellard Mann
    • 9th Feb 18, 5:28 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 5:28 PM
    Metro Bank will do this. I recently opened an account with them to get the benefit of commission free cash withdrawals in Europe. I didnít need to put any money in, nor have any regular income stream or direct debits. I transferred some funds to the account a few days later to use on a subsequent trip. They also print your debit card on the spot. I opened it in a branch (took under an hour from walking in Ė there is no appointment system). Their branches are in the London area but I note you can now open the account online if you canít get to a branch.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 9th Feb 18, 6:07 PM
    • 4,261 Posts
    • 38,582 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:07 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:07 PM
    I now have no more direct debits to spread to a third account and fear I may forget to transfer the money one month.
    Originally posted by bristleposh
    Set up SOs so that your money is paid automatically- then you won't worry about manually transferring it

There are quite a few ideas on this board (and the savings one) of how to find more DDs so that you could have more of your money earning something in a current account (or a linked RS)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ...840MM (84p) + RK 7p= 91pence
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 9th Feb 18, 6:11 PM
    • 2,523 Posts
    • 3,259 Thanks
    ceredigion
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:11 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:11 PM
    To open a bank account, have a debit card, with no ingoings and no direct debits.
    Originally posted by bristleposh
    IT might be quicker if you list all the accounts you can't open given your criteria
    • bristleposh
    • By bristleposh 9th Feb 18, 6:24 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    bristleposh
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:24 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:24 PM
    Thank you for your help
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,057Posts Today

9,843Users online

Martin's Twitter