Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • suchgreatheights
    • By suchgreatheights 9th Feb 18, 4:23 PM
    • 39Posts
    • 23Thanks
    suchgreatheights
    Additional compensation for failure to supply
    • #1
    • 9th Feb 18, 4:23 PM
    Additional compensation for failure to supply 9th Feb 18 at 4:23 PM
    Question: does anyone have experience of a similar situation, and can offer advice as to likely success and/or if the effort was worthwhile.

    Situation: I am building an extension to my home including a new set of patio doors. I sourced the doors through a separate company (not through the builder). The door company failed to supply the doors on the promised installation date nor for a further month, at which point I cancelled the order and my deposit was refunded. I went to a different company who supplied the same doors within 1 month.

    The delay has cost me: 2 months additional interest on building loan, 2 months delay re-mortgaging (stuck on SVR, house unfinished), I paid builder extra to work weekends in order to meet the installation date for the doors, the house remained unsecured and uninsulated (in winter), to say nothing of the fact I had to make do without a kitchen or utility room for another 2 months and the hassle etc of sorting everything out.

    I am not by nature litigious and part of me thinks 'just move on', but I feel I have a good case! My first step would be to simply present the costs, request compensation and take it from there.

    Any similar experiences would be interesting to hear.
Page 1
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 9th Feb 18, 8:22 PM
    • 4,884 Posts
    • 7,837 Thanks
    Gavin83
    • #2
    • 9th Feb 18, 8:22 PM
    • #2
    • 9th Feb 18, 8:22 PM
    How much was the interest on the building loan?

    Thats the only listed issue I feel you may potentially have a case on as the others you either didnt lose out financially on or really had nothing to do with the doors.

    Also I feel at best your claim is for 1 month. Your decision to cancel and then having to wait a further month for another company to produce was your decision. Im not saying it was the wrong one but they wont be liable for this further delay as once you cancelled the contract its no longer their responsibility.
    • suchgreatheights
    • By suchgreatheights 9th Feb 18, 9:57 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    suchgreatheights
    • #3
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:57 PM
    • #3
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:57 PM
    Hi Gavin83 - thanks for the reply!

    I think the other issues are relevant because the doors were the only thing which prevented us from completing on schedule. I see what you!!!8217;re saying about it being my decision to cancel but it was with good reason because having failed to deliver on the day they showed no ability to fulfil the order or offer a viable alternative, whereas another company was able to do so easily (within 4 weeks, as opposed to the 10 weeks we finally gave the first company).

    Surely the compensation should be based on the additional costs I incurred between the date of the failure to supply and the date I was able to remedy it (at my own cost and time)? I.e so that I am in no worse a position than I would have been had the original order been fulfilled?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 10th Feb 18, 6:17 PM
    • 10,365 Posts
    • 8,496 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • #4
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:17 PM
    • #4
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:17 PM
    As it was your decision to cancel the order, then at that date you have no contract with the door supplier. Therefore anything that happens after that date is not their responsibility.

    I agree with Gavin, I think the most you could claim for is 1 month's interest on the loan. It's worth a request, followed by a Letter Before Action, but may not be worth an actual MCOL claim.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 10th Feb 18, 6:30 PM
    • 11,894 Posts
    • 9,150 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • #5
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:30 PM
    • #5
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:30 PM
    Hi Gavin83 - thanks for the reply!

    I think the other issues are relevant because the doors were the only thing which prevented us from completing on schedule. I see what you!!!8217;re saying about it being my decision to cancel but it was with good reason because having failed to deliver on the day they showed no ability to fulfil the order or offer a viable alternative, whereas another company was able to do so easily (within 4 weeks, as opposed to the 10 weeks we finally gave the first company).

    Surely the compensation should be based on the additional costs I incurred between the date of the failure to supply and the date I was able to remedy it (at my own cost and time)? I.e so that I am in no worse a position than I would have been had the original order been fulfilled?
    Originally posted by suchgreatheights
    Did you make them aware (before you entered the contract with them) that you were funding it via a building loan and had a completion date of x? Or did you just tell them you needed the doors for x date?
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • suchgreatheights
    • By suchgreatheights 10th Feb 18, 10:38 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    suchgreatheights
    • #6
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:38 PM
    • #6
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:38 PM
    Thanks all.

    I!!!8217;m not sure why it makes a difference if I informed them of my source of funding or not? It!!!8217;s none of their business. They gave me an installation date. We geared the build program around this date. They then failed to supply. I allowed them another month to fulfil their obligations which they failed to do. All the costs listed are a direct consequence of their failure to supply as contracted to do so. Probably worth mentioning that the contract specifically states that in the event of me cancelling I may be due additional compensation.
    Last edited by suchgreatheights; 10-02-2018 at 10:40 PM.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 10th Feb 18, 10:48 PM
    • 11,894 Posts
    • 9,150 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • #7
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:48 PM
    • #7
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:48 PM
    Thanks all.

    I!!!8217;m not sure why it makes a difference if I informed them of my source of funding or not? It!!!8217;s none of their business. They gave me an installation date. We geared the build program around this date. They then failed to supply. I allowed them another month to fulfil their obligations which they failed to do. All the costs listed are a direct consequence of their failure to supply as contracted to do so. Probably worth mentioning that the contract specifically states that in the event of me cancelling I may be due additional compensation.
    Originally posted by suchgreatheights
    Because damages are only recoverable under 2 limbs.
    1) losses that would arise naturally - in other words if it would be obvious to the world at large that such a loss would occur from the breach of contract
    2) losses that would have been in the contemplation (or should have been in their contemplation) at the time the contract was entered into - in other words losses that wouldn't be obvious to the world at large but that arise from special circumstances of which the parties were aware of.

    imo the losses you've mentioned would not be obvious to the world at large that they would occur from such a breach therefore you'd be reliant on them being recoverable under the 2nd limb - which requires them to be aware of it when they entered the contract. Any other losses are deemed too remote.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 10th Feb 18, 11:17 PM
    • 4,884 Posts
    • 7,837 Thanks
    Gavin83
    • #8
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:17 PM
    • #8
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:17 PM
    Well lets go through each of your points:

    2 months additional interest on building loan - already covered that, partial claim IMO.

    2 months delay re-mortgaging - I dont see what financial loss youve suffered here but happy to be corrected.

    I paid builder extra to work weekends - Theyll argue that if you were short on time you should have had the builder start earlier and theyve probably got a case. It isnt their fault you had to employ the builder at weekends.

    the house remained unsecured and uninsulated - Cant see a financial loss here either, except maybe increased heating bills, but this is hard to quantify and frankly a little petty for the small sums involved.

    to say nothing of the fact I had to make do without a kitchen or utility room for another 2 months and the hassle etc of sorting everything out. - again no financial loss.

    Thanks all.
    Probably worth mentioning that the contract specifically states that in the event of me cancelling I may be due additional compensation.
    Originally posted by suchgreatheights
    If you are contracted to receive compensation thats a different matter but its the first time youve mentioned this. Have you raised this with them?

    Saying that its a weird contract term to include, what specifically does it say?
    • suchgreatheights
    • By suchgreatheights 11th Feb 18, 12:11 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    suchgreatheights
    • #9
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:11 AM
    • #9
    • 11th Feb 18, 12:11 AM
    Thanks unholyangel, that!!!8217;s helpful.

    Thanks again to all who replied, still keen to hear of any similar experiences but otherwise I think I!!!8217;ll leave it there and check in with citizens advice rather than get stuck into a debate!

    Cheers.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 11th Feb 18, 5:48 PM
    • 10,365 Posts
    • 8,496 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    I'll leave it there and check in with citizens advice rather than get stuck into a debate!
    Originally posted by suchgreatheights
    Be aware that CAB won't necessarily have legal experts who can help you. I speak from experience as in the past they have phoned me for advice.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 12th Feb 18, 1:46 AM
    • 26,595 Posts
    • 10,680 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    CAB will advise you to get legal advice. What about your home insurance?

    What does your contract say about the fitting/delivery date?

    Left insecure, it would take a builder 1/2 an hour to secure the doorway, even if it was just some ply and a cheap frame.

    Did you get the contract quote backwards? If YOU cancel you may still owe them money?

    Cannot see a company having a term where the customer cancels they can get back more than they paid?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

    My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

    Due to me being a tight git.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 12th Feb 18, 11:42 AM
    • 2,176 Posts
    • 2,054 Thanks
    steampowered
    Generally, you can claim for financial losses suffered as a result of the company breaching its contract with you by failing to deliver the doors.

    The fact that you terminated the contract does not limit you to claiming for only 1 month. If you terminate a contract because the defendant breached the contract, you would usually be entitled to all of your losses flowing from the termination. The only counter-argument the defendant could use in response would be trying to say that going to a new supplier was failing to 'mitigate your loss'.

    As unholyangel mentioned, you have a problem with the law around 'remoteness'. I think the building loan is too remote and can't be claimed for - unless you could prove that you told the building company about the loan.

    Did you sign a set of T&Cs when you purchased the doors? If so, that is likely to have terms excluding liability for the kind of losses you mention.

    So all in all, it sounds like you could have a valid claim. But there are a number of legal roadblocks. It is sounding 50/50. Up to you whether you issue a court claim and take your chances, or whether you decide it isn't worth the hassle and walk away.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,945Posts Today

9,850Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've been asked a few times if I'd been approached about chairing or being on the independent panel on post 18/stud? https://t.co/LpWASObp9k

  • Just finished on @bbc5live talking student finance. So complex talking all the iterations

  • On @bbc5live now half way through explaining how student finance reallyw orks

  • Follow Martin