Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 9th Feb 18, 3:11 PM
    • 12,527Posts
    • 5,177Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    I have not got a parking ticket
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:11 PM
    I have not got a parking ticket 9th Feb 18 at 3:11 PM
    As above this isn't a "how do I get out of this" post.

Our local Tescos have just this week put up signs to the effect that a private parking Co are monitoring their car park. Will post the details later as cannot recall but this is Tesco Clay Cross.

They do not charge for parking over any limits, There are no entry exit cameras although they stae the park is under cctv surveillance.(It is, the local police/authorities installed that 5 years ago, single camera for anpr).

So, no charge for parking just threat that anybody parked in a disabled bay without the relevant badge or parked outside a marked bay will receive a £70 parking CHARGE.

The only reason I post is that this is the first time I've seen a private company embroiled in a supermarket car park system that doesn't charge for parking at anytime or for any length of time??
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.

Always expect the unexpectedand then you won't be dissapointed
Page 1
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 9th Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    • 16,652 Posts
    • 26,044 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:19 PM
    So, no charge for parking just threat that anybody parked in a disabled bay without the relevant badge or parked outside a marked bay will receive a £70 parking CHARGE.
    Tesco were making these statements over 12 months ago, and it was assumed that the trolley collector/pushers would be armed with a camera to snap any miscreant non-badge displayers, and pass to Tesco's preferred car park operator (Highview) for DVLA data access and subsequent enforcement action.

Not one such case has appeared here.

Equality Act issues may have since dawned on Tesco for them to do nothing more than display 'empty threat' notices.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 9th Feb 18, 3:42 PM
    • 26,661 Posts
    • 34,303 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:42 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:42 PM
    Even though they don't say anything at the present I would fully expect them to shortly install ANPR, unless Tesco are actually paying them to "manage" the park they will have to get their money from somewhere and that's us.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 9th Feb 18, 4:41 PM
    • 3,505 Posts
    • 3,936 Thanks
    Johno100
    • 9th Feb 18, 4:41 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 4:41 PM
    Even though they don't say anything at the present I would fully expect them to shortly install ANPR, unless Tesco are actually paying them to "manage" the park they will have to get their money from somewhere and that's us.
    Originally posted by peter_the_piper
    Not sure about that, I suspect Highview are quite happy to have all these 'infractions' landing in their lap courtesy of Tesco trolley pushers, processing them and no doubt getting a cut from those who pay straight up.
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 11th Feb 18, 3:58 PM
    • 12,527 Posts
    • 5,177 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:58 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 3:58 PM
    Yes, as I said "The only reason I post is that this is the first time I've seen a private company embroiled in a supermarket car park system that doesn't charge for parking at anytime or for any length of time??"

I was just wondering how any parking company would have anything to do with a parking scam were the only losers would be tescos own customers when the only revenue was for parking bay transgressors.

I suppose you could throw the disability card in here but it's not what I meant to do. This is very recent as in a week ago so no change of direction as far as I can see.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.

• Johno100
    • By Johno100 11th Feb 18, 4:39 PM
    • 3,505 Posts
    • 3,936 Thanks
    Johno100
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:39 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:39 PM
    Yes, as I said "The only reason I post is that this is the first time I've seen a private company embroiled in a supermarket car park system that doesn't charge for parking at anytime or for any length of time??"

I was just wondering how any parking company would have anything to do with a parking scam were the only losers would be tescos own customers when the only revenue was for parking bay transgressors.

I suppose you could throw the disability card in here but it's not what I meant to do. This is very recent as in a week ago so no change of direction as far as I can see.
    Originally posted by cyclonebri1
    Why not? No employees needed on site, no expensive CCTV or ANPR cameras to install/maintain/monitor, ths kudos of working with an organisation like Tesco and no doubt a fair percentage of 'transgressors' paying straight up. Some parking companies would probably pay for the privilege of such an opportunity.
    Last edited by Johno100; 11-02-2018 at 4:41 PM.
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 12th Feb 18, 2:08 PM
    • 12,527 Posts
    • 5,177 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    • 12th Feb 18, 2:08 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 2:08 PM
    Why not? No employees needed on site, no expensive CCTV or ANPR cameras to install/maintain/monitor, ths kudos of working with an organisation like Tesco and no doubt a fair percentage of 'transgressors' paying straight up. Some parking companies would probably pay for the privilege of such an opportunity.
    Originally posted by Johno100
    But they would need employees on site, there are no in/out cameras just the national anpr that the police monitor Are tesco going to issue the trolley guy with a camera that passes legal scrutiny?, I don't think so.

They cannot "charge" without evidence, there is no infrastructure for that in place. Not saying they can't do in future, may be the thin end, but for mow just seems that Tesco are using a freebie contact to keep their carpark in order????????????????

• pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 12th Feb 18, 2:14 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,279 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 12th Feb 18, 2:14 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 2:14 PM
    But they would need employees on site, there are no in/out cameras just the national anpr that the police monitor Are tesco going to issue the trolley guy with a camera that passes legal scrutiny?, I don't think so.

They cannot "charge" without evidence, there is no infrastructure for that in place. Not saying they can't do in future, may be the thin end, but for mow just seems that Tesco are using a freebie contact to keep their carpark in order????????????????

and why not , they own the land , they can do as they wish , no red cars on a saturday aft , or no VW golfs on a tuesday

YOU cannot tell them what to do , simple as that , they OWN the land not you
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 12th Feb 18, 3:27 PM
    • 8,175 Posts
    • 7,480 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 12th Feb 18, 3:27 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 3:27 PM
    Theses PPCs are out and out scammers. Watch what MPs said about them in the HOC last week

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

Do your bit to bring this industry to its knees, complain in the most robust of language to your MP.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 12th Feb 18, 4:09 PM
    • 3,505 Posts
    • 3,936 Thanks
    Johno100
    But they would need employees on site,
    No they don't when they have Tesco trolley people to do it.

there are no in/out cameras just the national anpr that the police monitor.
    "In/out cameras" are no use if they are going after Disabled and Children & Parent bay 'infractions'. They need to be up close and personal for those. Not sure what you mean in the second part re the police.

Are tesco going to issue the trolley guy with a camera that passes legal scrutiny?, I don't think so.
    "Legal scrutiny" we're on about the private car parking industry here and yes they are going to/have given a camera/smart phone device to the trolley guys who'll upload the photos they take (plus other details) to Highview to do the rest.

They cannot "charge" without evidence, there is no infrastructure for that in place.
    Of course they can, a trolley guy with a camera/smart phone is all the infrastructure they need. "Self Ticketing" where individuals, be they an employee at your local convenience store or a busy body pensioner at a residential housing complex, take photos of 'infractions' and passes them onto a parking company who then issue a charge is a widespread practice.

Not saying they can't do in future, may be the thin end, but for mow just seems that Tesco are using a freebie contact to keep their carpark in order????????????????
    They are doing it primarily for public relations and publicity reasons, they have obviously got some sort of feedback from their customers (or prompting from disability groups or Mumsnet) that has led them to believe there is a problem with the 'abuse' of Disabled and Parent & Child spaces. So they are doing something that will cost them very little and making sure it is well publicised.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 13th Feb 18, 5:34 AM
    • 16,652 Posts
    • 26,044 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    ^^ Excellent analysis ^^
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 14th Feb 18, 2:43 PM
    • 12,527 Posts
    • 5,177 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    ^^ Excellent analysis ^^
    Originally posted by Umkomaas
    You might think so. BUT.

I have done some digging though since my initial post as I visit this Tesco's everyday. I also know a few members of staff and the reason they have put up the signs is nothing to do with customer or disability complaints.
    It appears it has come from the RAC. They like to park their sales tent in one of the hatched areas at the end of one of the double parking bays, the one nearest Tesco's doors. This just happens to be the disabled parking line.

So simply commercial, the RAC pay to park outside a marked bay and complain because a few regulars do the same when they aren't there.

It's not carp park management, it's a threat to Tesco not to pay a residence fee from the RAC.

There is only one loser, Aldi opened up 200 yards away late last year, Tesco's action are now saving me money, not costing me.

• DoaM
    • By DoaM 14th Feb 18, 3:57 PM
    • 3,981 Posts
    • 4,033 Thanks
    DoaM
    They cannot "charge" without evidence,
    As already said ... yes they can. Search this forum for Norris Cole.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • twhitehousescat
    • By twhitehousescat 14th Feb 18, 4:00 PM
    • 920 Posts
    • 1,139 Thanks
    twhitehousescat
    Norris Cole. s working for BPA companies were given P45 on jan 2nd
    Time pretending I was asleep whilst under his desk , has given me insight to this sordid world
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 14th Feb 18, 4:44 PM
    • 3,505 Posts
    • 3,936 Thanks
    Johno100
    You might think so. BUT.

I have done some digging though since my initial post as I visit this Tesco's everyday. I also know a few members of staff and the reason they have put up the signs is nothing to do with customer or disability complaints.
    It appears it has come from the RAC. They like to park their sales tent in one of the hatched areas at the end of one of the double parking bays, the one nearest Tesco's doors. This just happens to be the disabled parking line.

So simply commercial, the RAC pay to park outside a marked bay and complain because a few regulars do the same when they aren't there.

It's not carp park management, it's a threat to Tesco not to pay a residence fee from the RAC.

There is only one loser, Aldi opened up 200 yards away late last year, Tesco's action are now saving me money, not costing me.
    But you do understand this is a national campaign by Tesco? While you may be correct as to one of the reasons they may have implemented it at your local branch this is part of a bigger push by them.

https://www.tescoplc.com/news/blogs/topics/protecting-blue-badge-disabled-parking-tesco/

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/parent-parking-fine-tesco-child-14240946

N.B. That second link refers to Horizon Parking rather than Highway mentioned earlier in this thread.
    • cyclonebri1
    • By cyclonebri1 15th Feb 18, 3:46 PM
    • 12,527 Posts
    • 5,177 Thanks
    cyclonebri1
    But you do understand this is a national campaign by Tesco? While you may be correct as to one of the reasons they may have implemented it at your local branch this is part of a bigger push by them.

https://www.tescoplc.com/news/blogs/topics/protecting-blue-badge-disabled-parking-tesco/

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/parent-parking-fine-tesco-child-14240946

N.B. That second link refers to Horizon Parking rather than Highway mentioned earlier in this thread.
    Originally posted by Johno100
    No. I didn't understand that or know anything about it. I raised the issue just because I didn't understand "why", not trying to doubt anyone on here who knows better.
    I like many have a dislike of these people, my one and only parking "ticket" in a lifetimes driving was 2 years back in a Lidl car park policed by highview parking, you guys helped me beat that one.

But the argument in all the situations i've read have been that the punishment doesn't fit the crime. IE If a shopper should have bought a £1 parking ticket and doesn't, few would argue that a £10 "charge" was inappropriate. The issue being when they try to charge £70, then £140 etc it becomes disproportionate.
    I was puzzled by the fact that if there was no charge at all, where does the parking charge of £70 come from.

Yes I know the real answer, it is simply that this is the first time I've come across it.

And yes, Tescos have lost a regular customer, not that it would bother them.
    (Blue badge holder that sometimes forgets the badge is in the other car, that's my worry.)

The other point that falls in line with what has been said about it being to target disabled bay abuses is that the signs, just 2 smallish ones, are placed at 0ne end off the 2 rows of BB spaces. No warning signs as you enter the car park or at any other point in what is a very large car park.
    Last edited by cyclonebri1; 19-02-2018 at 8:13 AM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

140Posts Today

2,173Users online

Martin's Twitter