Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • marialionza
    • By marialionza 9th Feb 18, 2:50 PM
    • 6,101Posts
    • 70,060Thanks
    marialionza
    Forced to change password/ MSE
    • 9th Feb 18, 2:50 PM
    Forced to change password/ MSE 9th Feb 18 at 2:50 PM
    Is it compulsory to change password on MSE now?
    THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HELPS HERE
Page 3
    • randomchiick
    • By randomchiick 11th Feb 18, 9:12 PM
    • 969 Posts
    • 133,376 Thanks
    randomchiick
    Mine was some random number like 1986 or something. I didn't even change it tbh.
    • cornishpasty1
    • By cornishpasty1 14th Feb 18, 6:52 AM
    • 23,861 Posts
    • 1,850,208 Thanks
    cornishpasty1
    Your password is 5 days old, and has therefore expired.

Please change your password using
    this page.

I wonder how often we are going to be forced to change our password!!!
    Huge thanks to all that contribute positively to the forums

• pate-ci0
    • By pate-ci0 14th Feb 18, 7:00 AM
    • 589 Posts
    • 13,895 Thanks
    pate-ci0
    Same here, 5 days. Forced to change password after 5 days? Are you kidding? Even high security MoD sites don't require that.
    • Slade12
    • By Slade12 14th Feb 18, 7:01 AM
    • 291 Posts
    • 1,597 Thanks
    Slade12
    Me too, changed it last week and now again after only 5 days - surely this can't be right. It will drive us all mad if we have to change it every 5 days.
    £2017 in 2017: £1527
    20 prizes worth more than £17:10
    Shower, £100 Love to shop vouchers, 4 Wembley football tickets, bundle meringue nests, 2 nights in Bath, 2 tickets Baby Show, QI box set, 2 Good Food Show, 2 Camp Bestival, 2 Chris Rea tics
    • libra10
    • By libra10 14th Feb 18, 7:04 AM
    • 9,821 Posts
    • 185,000 Thanks
    libra10
    Constant password changing is becoming ridiculous now.

What is going on?
    • Monkey Chinchilla
    • By Monkey Chinchilla 14th Feb 18, 7:30 AM
    • 14,202 Posts
    • 762,237 Thanks
    Monkey Chinchilla
    You can change it to the same password you already had if that helps.
    Most wanted: a lucky newt
    • ben501
    • By ben501 14th Feb 18, 7:44 AM
    • 228 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    ben501
    Same here

Your password is 5 days old, and has therefore expired.

Please change your password using this page.
    by MSE Forums Message
    It's a pathetic waste of time anyway since you don't even have to change your password, you can just re-use your existing one.

So now in the name of 'security' I've re-used my old password twice on an unsecured web page.
    Come on MSE, admit it, this is nothing more than some poorly executed box ticking exercise. You don't want some bored journalist coming along in a few years and spilling the beans.
    Or maybe it's an attempt my the masters at Moneysupermarket to trim some of the excess users here.
    • Enigmatic Me
    • By Enigmatic Me 14th Feb 18, 7:44 AM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 14,174 Thanks
    Enigmatic Me
    What is more ridiculous is the fact that nobody from MSE Towers has answered any of the concerns raised in this thread
    The best things in life are free.....
    • sheils6
    • By sheils6 14th Feb 18, 7:46 AM
    • 15,178 Posts
    • 105,227 Thanks
    sheils6
    5 days!
    Just changed mine to same password as this is going to drive me mad
    February Wins :- £6 Quidco £1 GfK
    • ben501
    • By ben501 14th Feb 18, 7:52 AM
    • 228 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    ben501
    What is more ridiculous is the fact that nobody from MSE Towers has answered any of the concerns raised in this thread
    Originally posted by Enigmatic Me
    Wrong part of the forum. Have a look in feedback

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5791325
    • BlueBella
    • By BlueBella 14th Feb 18, 7:58 AM
    • 9,233 Posts
    • 322,980 Thanks
    BlueBella
    Yes, had to change mine again this morning! Oh dear! I do hope this glitch gets sorted out soon!
    A big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter

Don't judge my path if you haven't walked my journey...
    • Enigmatic Me
    • By Enigmatic Me 14th Feb 18, 8:03 AM
    • 1,402 Posts
    • 14,174 Thanks
    Enigmatic Me
    Wrong part of the forum. Have a look in feedback

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5791325
    Originally posted by ben501
    Thanks, yes I read that too and no answers or explanations in there neither.
    The best things in life are free.....
    • hdh74
    • By hdh74 14th Feb 18, 8:49 AM
    • 1,987 Posts
    • 59,586 Thanks
    hdh74
    Had to do the ruddy thing again this morning,. and what's really annoying is having been logged out I can't see where I was up to easily, driving me nuts now, come on,...
    • booklover500
    • By booklover500 14th Feb 18, 9:03 AM
    • 482 Posts
    • 3,660 Thanks
    booklover500
    I am getting p****d off with this now - having to change password again after just 5 days - what's going on?
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 14th Feb 18, 9:04 AM
    • 670 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    Margot123
    Has the site been hacked, I wonder?
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 14th Feb 18, 9:04 AM
    • 922 Posts
    • 793 Thanks
    Carrot007
    You can change it to the same password you already had if that helps.
    Originally posted by Monkey Chinchilla
    Well this time I could, the previous time it refused my old one for being too short so I was forced to change it.
    • Jinhao159
    • By Jinhao159 14th Feb 18, 9:50 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Jinhao159
    Apparently this is being doe to ensure our passwords are secure. Not sure who they are secure from as the data is being sent in a plain format as the pages isn't secure.

However, we should be reassured as the site isn't any less secure, it is just that browsers now highlight it.

Good news, this has been insecure for years and therefore it doesn't matter.

This is the reply I received

"We’re looking at all areas including asking people to make sure their passwords are secure.

It is not possible to connect to the forums with a https connection at the moment. We hope to provide that in the coming months.

As you might be aware, over the past year many websites have started to offer https connections to improve security, and many browsers, including Firefox, have started to highlight websites that have not yet switched over.

Our forums are not any less secure than they have been in the past. It is your browser that is offering more information on your connections.

Regards,
    MSE Forum Team"
    • dc64
    • By dc64 14th Feb 18, 9:58 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 439 Thanks
    dc64
    People please don't fret so much. Have you seen the news tonight? I'm fine with the problem of changing my password regularly. Not exactly mega problem is it?
    ACDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    • Jinhao159
    • By Jinhao159 14th Feb 18, 10:20 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Jinhao159
    Hello dc64. I am not fretting about changing my password, or having to change it on a regular basis.

I am fretting over having to send it over an insecure page. It is sent as plain text that is easy to intercept.

I use unique passwords for any sites where I may send payment data, such as ebay, Amazon etc. However, many people eith use the same password, or recycle them. This means that although this is bad practice, MSE are actually making them more vulnerable.
    • Jinhao159
    • By Jinhao159 15th Feb 18, 5:50 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    Jinhao159
    So if we are concerned about security we should leave the site, not draw it to anybody's attention.

A lot of the complaints were about changing passwords. I just stated that I can live with the inconvenience of changing passwords, but was worried about the security risk.

If you had had your password stolen in the past you may also be a little more worried about it. I never discovered how it was stolen but it does make me careful about passwords and not wanting to send them unencrypted.

However, I am seriously considering leaving. This used to be a friendly and helpful forum, but now it seems we are not allowed to have opinions or explain why.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,038Posts Today

7,740Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's surreal Friday twitter poll: If you had a choice between aging on the inside or the outside, for the rest? https://t.co/gabklHJ0w1

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Final shoot for this series of The Martin Lewis Money Show! Have loved meeting & helping empower? https://t.co/MOtvb73nVu

• RT @LaraLewington: Riding a remote control electric skateboard is obviously best done in heels. Max speed 22mph, but maybe trainers for tha?

• Follow Martin