Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • steveyme
    • By steveyme 9th Feb 18, 1:58 PM
    • 42Posts
    • 8Thanks
    steveyme
    Should I claim on a £1200 keying?
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:58 PM
    Should I claim on a £1200 keying? 9th Feb 18 at 1:58 PM
    Had my car keyed across three panels yesterday. Quotes are coming in circa £1200. I do have that money available to me, but that doesn't mean I can afford it, I just save hard. But should I claim on insurance? I'm cynical, and fully believe that over the next 5 years of having to declare that claim, they will increase my premium not only to cover it, but profit, too, probably by 10-15%. I also doubt the claim would fully disappear from my records, ever. Thoughts?!
    Last edited by steveyme; 09-02-2018 at 2:01 PM.
Page 1
    • missile
    • By missile 9th Feb 18, 3:43 PM
    • 9,248 Posts
    • 4,545 Thanks
    missile
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:43 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:43 PM
    Some insurers do not charge excess for vandalism claim.

You are correct, your base premium will increase, but I doubt if it will increase by £1200.

Easy to check by how much. Enter your details for an online quote, with and without declaring this "claim".
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 9th Feb 18, 4:20 PM
    • 2,642 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 9th Feb 18, 4:20 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 4:20 PM
    Some insurers do not charge excess for vandalism claim.

You are correct, your base premium will increase, but I doubt if it will increase by £1200.

Easy to check by how much. Enter your details for an online quote, with and without declaring this "claim".
    Originally posted by missile
    I have had a number of claims over the years, and the premiums have never increased by anything like the repair costs, even over 5 years.

Claim, that's what you're paying them for.
    • mbwoy84
    • By mbwoy84 9th Feb 18, 5:42 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    mbwoy84
    • 9th Feb 18, 5:42 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 5:42 PM
    What car is it?

£1200 seems like a lot of money for repainting 3 panels. It!!!8217;s only if a panel was peppered with dings that it should cost that sort of money and not a scratch. Speaking as a body shop owner.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 9th Feb 18, 6:01 PM
    • 2,232 Posts
    • 1,605 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:01 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:01 PM
    What car is it?

£1200 seems like a lot of money for repainting 3 panels. It!!!8217;s only if a panel was peppered with dings that it should cost that sort of money and not a scratch. Speaking as a body shop owner.
    Originally posted by mbwoy84
    Then as a bodyshop owner you would be aware that if it was a metallic paint then in order for the repair not to stick out like a sore thumb you'd need to repaint the whole side of that car.

If you are truly a bodyshop owner which I doubt then I hate to think about what the quality of your work looks like.
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 9th Feb 18, 8:15 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    • 9th Feb 18, 8:15 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 8:15 PM
    How do you know it won't happen again after spending £1200?
    • ritesh
    • By ritesh 9th Feb 18, 10:08 PM
    • 348 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    ritesh
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:08 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:08 PM
    As above, you don't know if this is malicious damage.

Can you live with it and have it repaired when you come to sell the car? Depending on the value of the car you can have all repairs done in one go which will be cheaper.
    "I think I spent 72.75% of my life last year in the office. I need a new job!!"
    • missile
    • By missile 10th Feb 18, 10:13 AM
    • 9,248 Posts
    • 4,545 Thanks
    missile
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:13 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:13 AM
    I have had a number of claims over the years, and the premiums have never increased by anything like the repair costs, even over 5 years.

Claim, that's what you're paying them for.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    Read my post, before misquoting me with your idiot comments.

We cannot make such glib assertions. We don't know OPs circumstances. A young / new driver with a poor record and an expensive car will have a higher premium than an experienced driver with good record and 10 year old Nissan Micra. A percentage increase in his base premium could be significant, but as I said it seems unlikely that it will be more than £1200.
    Last edited by missile; 10-02-2018 at 10:39 AM.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 10th Feb 18, 10:47 AM
    • 2,642 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:47 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:47 AM
    Read my post, before misquoting me with your idiot comments.

We cannot make such glib assertions. We don't know OPs circumstances. A young / new driver with a poor record and an expensive car will have a higher premium than an experienced driver with good record. A percentage increase in his base premium could be significant, but as I said it seems unlikely that it will be more than £1200.
    1. Where did I misquote you? The words came directly from your post via the "Quote" function.

2. Where did I disagree with you or criticise you?

3. Which of my comments is "idiot"? I merely recounted my own experience, factually, together with my advice to the OP to claim.
    • vikingaero
    • By vikingaero 10th Feb 18, 11:03 AM
    • 10,369 Posts
    • 13,066 Thanks
    vikingaero
    What's your excess? £100? £500? £1,000?
    The man without a signature.
    • missile
    • By missile 10th Feb 18, 1:31 PM
    • 9,248 Posts
    • 4,545 Thanks
    missile
    1. Where did I misquote you? The words came directly from your post via the "Quote" function.

2. Where did I disagree with you or criticise you?

3. Which of my comments is "idiot"? I merely recounted my own experience, factually, together with my advice to the OP to claim.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    Why did you choose to quote my post when making your comment? Most do this, if and when they disagree with or wish to respond to a.n.others post
    Last edited by missile; 10-02-2018 at 2:19 PM.
    Ride hard or stay home
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 10th Feb 18, 2:53 PM
    • 13,392 Posts
    • 8,499 Thanks
    arcon5
    Why did you choose to quote my post when making your comment? Most do this, if and when they disagree with or wish to respond to a.n.others post
    Jeeze calm the f down will ya.
    What a complete overreaction.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 10th Feb 18, 3:16 PM
    • 2,642 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    Car 54
    If I'd known you were hyper-sensitive, I wouldn't have quoted it If you read my post you'll see I didn't disagree with you.

Can I assume you have no answers to my questions?
    • mbwoy84
    • By mbwoy84 10th Feb 18, 5:01 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    mbwoy84
    Then as a bodyshop owner you would be aware that if it was a metallic paint then in order for the repair not to stick out like a sore thumb you'd need to repaint the whole side of that car.

If you are truly a bodyshop owner which I doubt then I hate to think about what the quality of your work looks like.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Wow. There is some competition for the dumbest post on the internet, but I think the one above just about takes it! But then again, judging by the rest of your posts in almost every thread in this section, it doesnít surprise me...

You doubt that I own a bodyshop? If someone on the internet claims to be an Arabian Prince or a Billionaire property magnate then I can understand why one may be sceptical. I donít think owning a bodyshop ranks up there with that sort of glamour...

Secondly, as I am well aware in my profession, you DO NOT necessarily need to paint the whole side of a car to blend fresh paint in if you know how to do the job properly. If you paint the whole side of a car willy nilly, then itís MORE likely to stand out than if it has been correctly blended.

Thirdly, £1200 still seems expensive for painting out the side of most cars. I asked what car it was as if it was exceptionally large or if it had a 3 stage pearl finish then that may be fair enough. If there were a lot of small dents to repair on the panels, which adds a lot to repair work then fair enough, but thereís minimal repair work involved in scratches.

Lastly, we have a long list of concours-winning classic cars and magazine features to our name, including a very famous ex-Jaguar race car once piloted by Stirling Moss, the story of the restoration of which is very well-documented and we are based in the English Midlands, but have had customers come to us from as far away as Malta, so I wonít comment on the quality of our work, but in the digital age, itís very easy to find things out and anyone is more than welcome to come and visit us...

Anyway, the original point to the OP before the usual clown piped up is to shop around as you might get a better deal elsewhere!
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 10th Feb 18, 6:34 PM
    • 13,392 Posts
    • 8,499 Thanks
    arcon5

What are you even arguing over?

The guy merely offered a personal experience in support of your comment.

If this is how you react to somebody agreeing then i really wanna see your reaction to a difference of opinion
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 11th Feb 18, 7:42 AM
    • 34,543 Posts
    • 18,517 Thanks
    Quentin

Take care over this advice.

Whenever you want to play with motor quotes don't enter your details but use dummy details.

The insurers use software that spots any manipulation and records that you previously declared a claim then tried a quote without declaration of the claim.

You do agree that info given is true ( which it can't be in both scenarios)
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 11th Feb 18, 7:57 AM
    • 516 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    I keep reading that as "claim for a £1200 Key RING!!!!

Wow, what's it make of, solid gold, encrusted with diamonds!!!!
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
    • steveyme
    • By steveyme 11th Feb 18, 4:04 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    steveyme
    My premium is £440 with an excess of £200. But it is a modified car, so I have only a few insurance companies to play off each other with price. Chips away gave me a price oc £1k+ and a local independent £1.4k: Here is the damage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyjwVDnL0vI
    • steveyme
    • By steveyme 15th Feb 18, 9:32 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    steveyme
    Time to call a wrap on this one - I spoke to the APlan insurance guy. Very helpful. He said that regardless of the size of the claim, as long as it was between £1000 and effectively total loss, it would put future premiums up by appx 20% per year for five years, after which it would not be taken into consideration. This advice being only applicable in the case of it being a claim that did not reflect risky driving, but was an unlucky event. Somehow my excess turned out to be £100 even though all my previous paperwork had said £200. So all in I stand to lose about £500 ish pounds over five years, if he is right, as opposed to the £1400 I was considering myself by not claiming.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,275Posts Today

7,300Users online

Martin's Twitter