Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VintageBelle
    • By VintageBelle 9th Feb 18, 1:30 PM
    • 267Posts
    • 205Thanks
    VintageBelle
    Gift to send abroad
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:30 PM
    Gift to send abroad 9th Feb 18 at 1:30 PM
    Hi all

I'm trying to come up with gifts that I can send to my boyfriends mom in Romania. It's her birthday in 3 weeks and rather than just send her a card I'd like to send some small gifts. She likes little nic nacs like magnets, but then I'm stuck. She doesn't wear costume jewellery and I don't think she's really into candles or fancy toiletries. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Page 1
    • savvy
    • By savvy 12th Feb 18, 6:40 PM
    • 29,747 Posts
    • 45,366 Thanks
    savvy
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:40 PM
    • 12th Feb 18, 6:40 PM
    Hm tough one with postage costs, and personal taste, interests etc. What about some things that are unique to the UK? London gifts like a tea towel (it's practical if she doesn't like it lol), or does she like our Royals, royal wedding momentoes? I forget what we are reknowed for nowadays apart from fish and chips and the Royals lol!
    Is there anything in Romania that she likes that you could send a gift voucher for?
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm

I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones

• VintageBelle
    • By VintageBelle 14th Feb 18, 12:52 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    VintageBelle
    • 14th Feb 18, 12:52 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 12:52 PM
    It is very tricky. I did buy her a tea towel actually which I had forgotten about as I was going to take it when I next go over. I don't think she is particularly bothered by the Royals but does like us sending British things to her. I am going to London next week so could look for something. They live in quite a rural area so there isn't anywhere I could really send her a voucher for which is a shame.
    • scottishminnie
    • By scottishminnie 14th Feb 18, 3:01 PM
    • 2,909 Posts
    • 57,315 Thanks
    scottishminnie
    • 14th Feb 18, 3:01 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 3:01 PM
    If you are going to London what about popping into Harrods or Fortnum and Mason and picking up a shopping bag - something like this?

https://www.fortnumandmason.com/t/categories/homeware/homeware-and-accessories/kitchen-and-dining/fortnums-bag-for-life

I've taken a few to the US and they have been well received - particularly the jute ones as they are sturdy.

https://www.harrods.com/en-gb/souvenirs/harrods-accessories/harrods-shopper-bags
    Last edited by scottishminnie; 14-02-2018 at 3:05 PM.
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
    • chanie
    • By chanie 14th Feb 18, 7:51 PM
    • 1,891 Posts
    • 9,663 Thanks
    chanie
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:51 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:51 PM
    Cath kidston has some nice accessories - shopper totes, key rings, bus pass holders and scarves. I think they make nice presents if you want to see something !!!8216;British!!!8217;.
    2018 challenge to save £1000
    Spend less - £189.44
    Live more - £1569.05
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • VintageBelle
    • By VintageBelle 19th Feb 18, 12:50 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    VintageBelle
    • 19th Feb 18, 12:50 PM
    • 19th Feb 18, 12:50 PM
    Thanks peeps, some lovely ideas
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,856Posts Today

9,157Users online

Martin's Twitter