Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ashe
    • By ashe 9th Feb 18, 12:54 PM
    • 308Posts
    • 188Thanks
    ashe
    When to book the Homebuyers survey?
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:54 PM
    When to book the Homebuyers survey? 9th Feb 18 at 12:54 PM
    We have sold our house and the work on that is progressing, buyer is a private landlord who will rent to his brother and is very flexible on move date with good lines of communication between us directly which is worked great so far.

Today we have had an offer accepted on a property and the EA has said he will only mark Sold STC once we have a survey done and are happy with the results?

At what point do we instruct the survey? Now? Or is it once we have the mortgage offer from the lender? At present we only have the AIP. We are using a broker so will discuss with him but he is away at present so looking for some high level guidance.

Thanks
Page 1
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 9th Feb 18, 1:14 PM
    • 1,413 Posts
    • 1,739 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:14 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:14 PM
    What is the situation with the property you are wishing to buy? Does the vendor need to find somewhere to buy. If the chain is incomplete do not incur any expenses at this stage.

Do you have reason to suspect that you may not be approved for a mortgage? Or is there a problem with the property that may make it unsuitable for mortgage lending?

If yes to either of the above I would be inclined to hold off on the homebuyers and wait for confirmation on the mortgage front. Otherwise you might as well press ahead with the survey.
    • ashe
    • By ashe 9th Feb 18, 1:18 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    ashe
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:18 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:18 PM
    What is the situation with the property you are wishing to buy? Does the vendor need to find somewhere to buy. If the chain is incomplete do not incur any expenses at this stage.

Do you have reason to suspect that you may not be approved for a mortgage? Or is there a problem with the property that may make it unsuitable for mortgage lending?

If yes to either of the above I would be inclined to hold off on the homebuyers and wait for confirmation on the mortgage front. Otherwise you might as well press ahead with the survey.
    Originally posted by Surrey_EA

Should be no issues with the property, it was only built late 90s and is finished to a very high standard in a good area.

Mortgage should be OK based on income and the like, I do have gambling transactions due to doing matched betting (and wasn't expecting us to sell so quickly) however mortgage broker is going to look at a lender less likely to request statements and doesnt think this will be a problem. I know I have a very good credit rating, have never missed any payments for mortgage, credit cards, utilities etc. Never had any arrears.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,994Posts Today

9,836Users online

Martin's Twitter