Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ANNA
    • By ANNA 9th Feb 18, 12:31 PM
    • 163Posts
    • 21Thanks
    ANNA
    eBay Hermes postal mystery...
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:31 PM
    eBay Hermes postal mystery... 9th Feb 18 at 12:31 PM
    I sold an item on eBay and posted it using eBay's Hermes service.

It shows on my account as delivered. It was even signed for.

My buyer got in touch and opened a case: he doesn't have it and the scribble of a signature is not his.

I phoned eBay customer services. Explained all. Ebay tells me I have fulfilled my seller obligations. Nothing more I need do except add the tracking no. to the case.

But I get in touch with Hermes via webchat somewhere in India. They will pass it to their investigations team and respond within 48hrs.

In less than 24hrs I got an email with this vague comment:

"We are sorry to inform you that this parcel has been deemed lost. We have tried to locate the whereabouts of the parcel by contacting the courier and their manager, however, were unsuccessful."

I really doubt anyone spoke to the courier or his manager. They can post to the wrong house or even keep the packet. It's a sham investigation I suspect.

Page 1
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 9th Feb 18, 1:12 PM
    • 302 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:12 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:12 PM
    At least now Hermes will refund you and you can refund the buyer, so what's the issue?
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 9th Feb 18, 2:07 PM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 3,913 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 9th Feb 18, 2:07 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 2:07 PM
    I would be careful. Webchat seem to be very quick to deem a parcel as lot. However when you make a claim it is a very different team who will investigate it fully rather than just looking at the tracking which webchat appear to do.

I have had about 5 people (out of 1000's of parcels) claim non delivery when it shows delivered. Once it gets to the investigation stage, all 5 have suddenly discovered it was delivered when tracking shows.

I have also had a parcel not get any further than the main hub for three weeks. After speaking to webchat informing me it was lost, I refunded the buyer through the case they had opened. I put it in a claim for lost parcel and it was delivered two weeks later and the claim closed.

So really I would wait and get your compensation from My Hermes before refunding. If the buyer opened a case, then they will lose as the tracking shows delivered.
    • F&L
    • By F&L 9th Feb 18, 7:05 PM
    • 516 Posts
    • 563 Thanks
    F&L
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:05 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:05 PM
    I would agree with the above. I've raised a handful of cases with Hermes and every time they've come back with a generic reply about it having been delivered successfully. The buyers have always gone away once I've advised that Hermes tracking shows successful delivery but plenty of buyers try it on.

You say your buyer has opened a case - they will lose due to the delivery confirmation you have. By all means pursue Hermes if you believe your buyer. You can often tell by their communications whether they're genuine or not.
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 9th Feb 18, 7:17 PM
    • 5,373 Posts
    • 4,630 Thanks
    mgdavid
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:17 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:17 PM
    I sold an item on eBay and posted it using eBay's Hermes service.

It shows on my account as delivered. It was even signed for.

My buyer got in touch and opened a case: he doesn't have it and the scribble of a signature is not his.

I phoned eBay customer services. Explained all. Ebay tells me I have fulfilled my seller obligations. Nothing more I need do except add the tracking no. to the case.

But I get in touch with Hermes
    via webchat somewhere in India. They will pass it to their investigations team and respond within 48hrs.

In less than 24hrs I got an email with this vague comment:

"We are sorry to inform you that this parcel has been deemed lost. We have tried to locate the whereabouts of the parcel by contacting the courier and their manager, however, were unsuccessful."

I really doubt anyone spoke to the courier or his manager. They can post to the wrong house or even keep the packet. It's a sham investigation I suspect.

Originally posted by ANNA
    I am mystified in the extreme; having been told you need to add Tracking number and nothing else, why did you then contact Hermes?
    A salary slave no more.....
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 9th Feb 18, 9:15 PM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 3,913 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:15 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:15 PM
    I am mystified in the extreme; having been told you need to add Tracking number and nothing else, why did you then contact Hermes?
    Originally posted by mgdavid

Well you might want to make sure you are sitting for this so the shock doesn't knock you over. But some sellers will do more than they need to help buyers out. I know it is crazy but apparently it does occasionally happen.
    • Carer
    • By Carer 10th Feb 18, 10:55 AM
    • 262 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    Carer
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:55 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:55 AM
    I was on the receiving end of this just this week. Was expecting a parcel from Ebay at work but it didn't arrive (there was someone in the office at all times).
    When I checked the tracking it said "delivered to reception". It definitely wasn't!
    I tried almost all the other business in the Industrial estate and then gave up. I knew that because tracking was showing as delivered there was no point contacting the seller, so I don't necessarily believe that those who said it didn't arrive were lying or trying it on, maybe they just realised they had no hope of a refund the same as I did.

We buy an awful lot of supplies from Ebay for work but I won't buy from any seller again who uses Hermes.
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 10th Feb 18, 5:01 PM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 3,913 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 10th Feb 18, 5:01 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 5:01 PM
    I was on the receiving end of this just this week. Was expecting a parcel from Ebay at work but it didn't arrive (there was someone in the office at all times).
    When I checked the tracking it said "delivered to reception". It definitely wasn't!
    I tried almost all the other business in the Industrial estate and then gave up. I knew that because tracking was showing as delivered there was no point contacting the seller, so I don't necessarily believe that those who said it didn't arrive were lying or trying it on, maybe they just realised they had no hope of a refund the same as I did.

We buy an awful lot of supplies from Ebay for work but I won't buy from any seller again who uses Hermes.
    Originally posted by Carer
    So instead of asking the seller who may be able to get more information on where it was delivered, you are just going to write it off and never use anyone who uses Hermes? That is a brilliant idea and in no way will massively restrict who you can buy from.
    • martindow
    • By martindow 11th Feb 18, 11:02 AM
    • 7,439 Posts
    • 4,193 Thanks
    martindow
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:02 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 11:02 AM
    How can you tell who the carrier is going to be? Economy delivery could be Hermes or RM 2nd class or many others.
    • kev25v6
    • By kev25v6 11th Feb 18, 11:27 AM
    • 156 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    kev25v6
    Yodel signed a parcel as delivered to another house in my street where the guy is not in till gone 10pm so couldn!!!8217;t have dropped it there. The eBay seller is a complete waste of time, Yodel only deal with the seller who won!!!8217;t help so the only way is a PayPal claim back. It!!!8217;s no good getting a signature from the wrong address and saying it!!!8217;s now not their problem. Until you get a signature from the buyer it!!!8217;s the sellers problem to refund/replace and then claim back from the courier.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 11th Feb 18, 12:35 PM
    • 11,880 Posts
    • 8,066 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Yodel signed a parcel as delivered to another house in my street where the guy is not in till gone 10pm so couldn!!!8217;t have dropped it there. The eBay seller is a complete waste of time, Yodel only deal with the seller who won!!!8217;t help so the only way is a PayPal claim back. It!!!8217;s no good getting a signature from the wrong address and saying it!!!8217;s now not their problem. Until you get a signature from the buyer it!!!8217;s the sellers problem to refund/replace and then claim back from the courier.
    Originally posted by kev25v6
    I can't decipher that easily but if you are the buyer and the tracking shows delivery, you won't win a PayPal claim. No signature is required under £750, just a proof of delivery.
    • Sam Fallow
    • By Sam Fallow 12th Feb 18, 1:03 AM
    • 832 Posts
    • 1,912 Thanks
    Sam Fallow
    Well you might want to make sure you are sitting for this so the shock doesn't knock you over. But some sellers will do more than they need to help buyers out. I know it is crazy but apparently it does occasionally happen.
    Originally posted by mrcol1000
    Yay, that's me. Buyer never recieved his Hermes delivery and I asked Hermes for coordinates of delivery location.
    Meanwhile buyer bought and paid for a replacement item and I refunded them for the first purchase.
    Still waiting for compensation for Hermes after submitting a Denial of Receipt form.
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
    • greedbay
    • By greedbay 12th Feb 18, 11:14 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    greedbay
    Deemed lost after 24 hours is certainly a better outcome that what I received with Yodel for a missing parcel. For about a month they did everything but claim the parcel went missing. They kept replying with their standardised 'we are waiting to hear back from the delivery depot'.
    • ANNA
    • By ANNA 19th Feb 18, 3:16 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    ANNA
    Hi, original poster back here...

Hermes investigations now claim it was lost (despite signature). Hermes passing the buck to ebay and ebay stating I must claim from Hermes!

Buyer getting impatient. Wants his refund before I get refunded by Hermes.

His tone is unpleasant, which I objected to. My buyer now wants part refund but right away. I see he has left a neg (which appears by the sold item only, as ebay blocks neg where INR claim is found in favour of the seller0.

After the neg I've lost the will to help further, especially as I can't get the refund from Hermes/ebay.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 19th Feb 18, 3:41 PM
    • 11,096 Posts
    • 23,188 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    How can you tell who the carrier is going to be? Economy delivery could be Hermes or RM 2nd class or many others.
    Originally posted by martindow
    Where is says Economy on the listing it has after it 'see details'.

If you click on this is will show who the carrier is.
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 19th Feb 18, 4:19 PM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 3,913 Thanks
    mrcol1000

Hermes investigations now claim it was lost (despite signature). Hermes passing the buck to ebay and ebay stating I must claim from Hermes!

His tone is unpleasant, which I objected to. My buyer now wants part refund but right away. I see he has left a neg (which appears by the sold item only, as ebay blocks neg where INR claim is found in favour of the seller0.

After the neg I've lost the will to help further, especially as I can't get the refund from Hermes/ebay.
    If the tracking still shows as delivered then the buyer really needs to keep you on side otherwise you could just ignore them.

Why did My Hermes blame Ebay? Did they send you a claim form? They may ask you to get the buyer to fill in a form to confirm they have not received the item.
    • Tealblue
    • By Tealblue 19th Feb 18, 5:45 PM
    • 702 Posts
    • 1,059 Thanks
    Tealblue

Put yourself in the buyer's shoes - of course he's getting impatient. You've been given the runaround by Hermes and ebay, but he hasn't a clue what to believe and clearly worries he will lose his money.

The situation isn't your fault - but it certainly isn't of his making either. 'Objecting to' his tone doesn't help anything and saying that getting a negative means you have 'lost the will to help' is entirely understandable but again, doesn't actually resolve anything... Stay in there if you can bear it and try to sort things out, because you sound a really decent type.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 20th Feb 18, 7:23 AM
    • 11,880 Posts
    • 8,066 Thanks
    theonlywayisup

What is the state of the ebay case? If it is passed the 8 days, you need to escalate it. Protect your account first.

Escalation will go in your favour if the tracking shows as delivered. When the case is closed, your funds will be released back to you AND the negative feedback will be removed.

Then, if you can sort out the Hermes issue, you can help the buyer. Why are you saying "hermes are passing the buck to ebay". Did you buy the postage through ebay (Shutl)? If so, then you claim from Shutl not from Hermes.
    • ANNA
    • By ANNA 20th Feb 18, 11:03 AM
    • 163 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    ANNA
    Thanks for the last 3 posts.

Yes, the postage was Hermes from the ebay site.

On the eBay site orders page, I clicked on the tracking no. It showed in the window as "delivered - signed by customer."

I then clicked on the tracking no. in this window and it opened the Hermes website page. That showed delivered and you can view signature. (It's a scribble).

So it was from the opened Hermes page that I went on to do webcat. The chatter said it was delivered with signature. Then agreed to put it to their investigations team. I got an email back stating they wee unable to reach their courier or his manager. They deemed it lost.

Hermes stated I could claim but only from ebay, as it was Shutl.
    I called ebay cs who stated it was delivered, case closed in my favour, nothing more could be done.

Then I got messaged by my buyer in a tone that said it wasn't worth his time. He really wanted the item, the £10 refund was less important but how did I let it go missing?
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 20th Feb 18, 11:31 AM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 3,913 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    Thanks for the last 3 posts.

Yes, the postage was Hermes from the ebay site.

On the eBay site orders page, I clicked on the tracking no. It showed in the window as "delivered - signed by customer."

I then clicked on the tracking no. in this window and it opened the Hermes website page. That showed delivered and you can view signature. (It's a scribble).

So it was from the opened Hermes page that I went on to do webcat. The chatter said it was delivered with signature. Then agreed to put it to their investigations team. I got an email back stating they wee unable to reach their courier or his manager. They deemed it lost.

Hermes stated I could claim but only from ebay, as it was Shutl.
    I called ebay cs who stated it was delivered, case closed in my favour, nothing more could be done.

Then I got messaged by my buyer in a tone that said it wasn't worth his time. He really wanted the item, the £10 refund was less important but how did I let it go missing?
    I would just tell them that Ebay have said it was delivered and they refuse to compensate, so they need to take it up with Ebay. Ebay might refund the buyer directly from their own pockets. After that I would just ignore their messages.

It may still been delivered. My Hermes seem to declare something lost in situations where they show it as tracked delivered but the recipient says it hasn't been delivered.

The problem is that the contract is between Ebay/Shutl and My Hermes. It would be Ebay that needs to make a claim with My Hermes not you. However if Ebay have decided it has been delivered and won't make a claim then there is nothing more you can do.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,239Posts Today

9,022Users online

Martin's Twitter