Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Akahotpot
    • By Akahotpot 9th Feb 18, 11:28 AM
    • 95Posts
    • 44Thanks
    Akahotpot
    End of chain buying lease
    • 9th Feb 18, 11:28 AM
    End of chain buying lease 9th Feb 18 at 11:28 AM
    Hi all
    Piece of string question sorry

I have sold my house and moved in with family while my house purchase catches up
    Yesterday after chasing up my solicitor I was told the chain was not progressing very well but they had no more info.
    I am in contact directly with the seller so asked what the issue is and he has replied that the house he is buying was listed as freehold but seems was lease and now the owner is buying the lease to correct the mistake

This doesn't sound like a thing that could be turned around quickly and no one seems to want to commit to a likely time frame

I am ok where I am in short term but of course I dont want to inconvenience my sister and brother IL long term
    its only been 7 weeks since my offer

Any insights please on likely time frame please
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 9th Feb 18, 11:41 AM
    • 43,185 Posts
    • 50,751 Thanks
    G_M
    • 9th Feb 18, 11:41 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 11:41 AM
    It can be done pretty quickly is all the parties involved (leaseholder, freeholder, Manco if any, Land registry, various solictors) work together and get their fingers out.

If one or more of them delays, it can take weeks. Or months.
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 9th Feb 18, 11:47 AM
    • 316 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    • 9th Feb 18, 11:47 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 11:47 AM
    Average house transaction lengths when there is a chain are about three months, so only 7 weeks in you're about half way through that. But if the chain above is long and there are complications, as it sounds like, it can easily stretch to 4-6 months.

No one will commit to a time frame because they can't. The legal issue that needs sorting is out of everyone's control, so they perhaps don't know how long it will take.

Your options are to sit it out, probably go into rented rather than continue to lodge with family. Or walk away before exchange and suck up the fees spent so far. It depends how much you want this particular purchase and how long you'll stay in it for, what you've bought it for etc.

You could ask family outright how long you're welcome for. Let the current situation continue but start to look at other houses, the volume of listings is likely to pick up as Feb progresses into March. Good luck
    Hamster in the wheel (London) 1999-2017
    Mortgage free since 2015; Pension pot sorted 2017
    Second career (what TBD!) 2018
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 9th Feb 18, 12:13 PM
    • 5,828 Posts
    • 5,567 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:13 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:13 PM
    It doesn't tend to be the legal process that causes delay - it tends to be the negotiation (and/or tactics, disinterest by the freeholder etc).

For example...
    The freeholder realises that the leaseholder is desperate to buy the freehold, because it's holding up a whole chain of purchases.

So the freeholder sees an opportunity to make money, and asks for a 'silly price' for a quick sale the freehold.
    etc, etc
    • Akahotpot
    • By Akahotpot 9th Feb 18, 4:50 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Akahotpot
    • 9th Feb 18, 4:50 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 4:50 PM
    Food for thought

My sister says I can stay for as long as I like empty rooms due to her kids flying the nest (might get fat from all the home cooking though )
    I work full time and have daughters and grandchildren so am out a lot
    Already lost 1 house when my 1st buyer disappeared when it came time to sign contracts so already lost money
    I started this house moving lark in June 17

So as said sit tight for but monitor the market ,might just target vacant properties if this falls through
    Thanks
    • becominganobsessivesaver
    • By becominganobsessivesaver 9th Feb 18, 7:37 PM
    • 807 Posts
    • 677 Thanks
    becominganobsessivesaver
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:37 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:37 PM
    We've just bought our freehold, started beginning of September, got a price one month later (which we agreed with minimal negotiation). Transaction completed at the end of January. Main delays were the fact the freeholder wasn't in a major rush, so took a month to return anything. Our paperwork was done by the end of November.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,856Posts Today

9,157Users online

Martin's Twitter