Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • starting_again_in_the_sun
    • By starting_again_in_the_sun 9th Feb 18, 10:15 AM
    • 107Posts
    • 507Thanks
    starting_again_in_the_sun
    'Did your item arrive before...?'
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:15 AM
    'Did your item arrive before...?' 9th Feb 18 at 10:15 AM
    When you leave feedback on Ebay you are asked if the item arrived by the estimated date, if you answer no, does this have any negative consequences for the seller?

My item arrived a few dates late but the estimate was totally unrealistic so the seller isn't responsible.

Thanks
Page 1
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 9th Feb 18, 10:32 AM
    • 3,246 Posts
    • 1,856 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:32 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:32 AM
    estimate was totally unrealistic so the seller isn't responsible.
    The estimate is based on criteria that the seller enters such as dispatch time which is processing time and the service used. So it is entirely realistic. (except around bank holidays which we all complain about when ebay gets it wrong)

Yes, there is a negative impact if enough people log it as late, it affects the seller rating.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • By starting_again_in_the_sun 9th Feb 18, 10:41 AM
    • 107 Posts
    • 507 Thanks
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:41 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:41 AM
    Ok thanks.

Ordered item from France Tuesday lunch time, it was expected in Spain by Friday- seems crazily quick to me!
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 9th Feb 18, 10:49 AM
    • 3,246 Posts
    • 1,856 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:49 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:49 AM
    OK, so I didn't know it was airmail. There are some gripes from time to time about that and some specific routes like the one to Russia (hold ups at customs?) which were notoriously unrealistic by eBay. I couldn't tell you which countries are best / worst.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • vacheron
    • By vacheron 9th Feb 18, 10:58 AM
    • 801 Posts
    • 730 Thanks
    vacheron
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:58 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:58 AM
    I'm sure it will negatively affect the seller as this seems to be eBay's primary goal these days.

I put "yes it did" regardless when I am asked because:
    • By the time I come to leave feedback I can't remember if the pack of plastic doorstops or the pack of CR2032 batteries arrived last Wednesday or Thursday.

• Unless I have paid for special delivery and have an understanding with the seller that the item is required urgently, who really cares for most economy purchases.

• As the OP (and others) mentioned eBay estimates can be notoriously optimistic (especially around public holidays) so why should mail delivery problems or other events that the seller is not responsible for impact badly on them?
    Last edited by vacheron; 09-02-2018 at 11:17 AM.
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 9th Feb 18, 11:19 AM
    • 4,537 Posts
    • 3,913 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 9th Feb 18, 11:19 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 11:19 AM
    Each time tracking shows it was dispatched late or if there is no tracking and you say it arrived late, then the seller gets a black mark. It is taken as percentage of their sales so big sellers aren't that bothered.

Should you say it arrived late? Ebay's estimates are sometimes over optimistic. But then there are some sellers who give a one or same day dispatch when they know they won't meet it. These are the sellers who you should say no it did not arrive on time, so they hopefully adjust their dispatch times to something more realistic before they end up in bother.
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 9th Feb 18, 11:54 AM
    • 2,432 Posts
    • 2,047 Thanks
    donnac2558
    • 9th Feb 18, 11:54 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 11:54 AM
    A few times items have arrived later that stated perhaps a day or two, but usually around holiday periods. I just don't tick the box asking me if it arrived on time. Fill in the rest saying I am happy with the product etc.

Now, I have sometimes wondered what happens?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 9th Feb 18, 3:03 PM
    • 59,886 Posts
    • 42,516 Thanks
    soolin
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:03 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 3:03 PM
    I have a slightly different view of this as I think these late defects are one of the most important things for a seller, even more important than poor feedback. For a small seller as few as 2 late defects can push them towards below standard and even for a larer seller a few can severely impact their standing.

For example to retain TRS status a business seller must stay below 3% for their late defects. However, this isn't 3% of total sales, which would be easy- it is 3% of those buyers who answer the question- so for me it looks as though only around 1 in 4 people respond to the question- and a single defect can be quite a large percentage of the ones who respond.

Ebay estimates are also somewhat strange, there are plenty of glitches with delivery estimates - for a while after Christmas they were showing as taking an extra two days , but usually it is the other way round with ebay estimating things the day after they are due to be dispatched- even if seller shows 2nd class. At one point last year I was continually complaining to ebay that if someone bought something from me say on a Monday night at 1pm with a 1 day dispatch2nd class they were showing a delivery estimate as early as the Wednesday- which is nonsense.

I would urge all sellers big or small to make a habit of watching their percentage , losing sight of a poor percentage is the quickest way to being suspended so it needs to be caught and rectified before it gets bad. usually I would suggest that if your percentage starts to look poor to increase your handling time but post quicker than the system suggests. So state a 3 day dispatch but send next day.

I currently have 2 defects both were sent a day earlier than my dispatch time allowed but both were parcels and were not collected from the sorting office until the weekend , so the system automatically marked them late. usually ebay will remove this defects when I show proof of posting , but this time they are saying they can no longer do that.
    Last edited by soolin; 09-02-2018 at 3:07 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 9th Feb 18, 7:09 PM
    • 26,613 Posts
    • 10,686 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:09 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:09 PM
    I almost always click yes because the date are often stupid, order something on a Thursday or Friday night and it says Monday even though its a Bank Holiday.

The only time i have ticked no was an item bought from a UK seller that took longer to arrived than item from China I ordered at the same time.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • By starting_again_in_the_sun 9th Feb 18, 10:22 PM
    • 107 Posts
    • 507 Thanks
    Thank you to everyone for the replies.

I said the item arrived on time. It's a shame that EBay are so unfair to sellers sometimes!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,321Posts Today

7,702Users online

Martin's Twitter