Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • funnymonkey
    • By funnymonkey 9th Feb 18, 8:47 AM
    • 93Posts
    • 12Thanks
    funnymonkey
    What stocks and shares/ funds to invest in right n
    • 9th Feb 18, 8:47 AM
    What stocks and shares/ funds to invest in right n 9th Feb 18 at 8:47 AM
    Good morning.
    With the stocks decreasing quite significantly over the last few days where would you put your money?
    I'm looking at long term growth, 8-10 years stocks or funds.
    Thank you
Page 1
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 9th Feb 18, 8:51 AM
    • 3,495 Posts
    • 2,021 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    • 9th Feb 18, 8:51 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 8:51 AM
    Good morning.
    With the stocks decreasing quite significantly over the last few days where would you put your money?
    Thank you
    Originally posted by funnymonkey
    In to stocks and shares.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
    • Linton
    • By Linton 9th Feb 18, 9:22 AM
    • 9,015 Posts
    • 9,095 Thanks
    Linton
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:22 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:22 AM
    You should invest in exactly the same things that you would have invested in two weeks ago, except you get more of them for your money. You are investing for the long term, whatever is going up or down now is irrelevent.
    • ChopperST
    • By ChopperST 9th Feb 18, 9:25 AM
    • 1,091 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    ChopperST
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:25 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:25 AM
    Its crazy that interest rates returning to normal and QE being switched off, accompanied with high productivity and low unemployment seems to be the "bad news" that is result in this correction.

Interesting times ahead.
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 9th Feb 18, 9:28 AM
    • 3,495 Posts
    • 2,021 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:28 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 9:28 AM
    I'm not sure that is what's causing the 'nervousness'; this is being driven by increase in bond yields. The bonds market is multiple times bigger than equity and so a flight from stocks in to bonds could be very significant.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
    • Economic
    • By Economic 9th Feb 18, 10:43 AM
    • 187 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    Economic
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:43 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:43 AM
    Its crazy that interest rates returning to normal and QE being switched off, accompanied with high productivity and low unemployment seems to be the "bad news" that is result in this correction.

Interesting times ahead.
    Originally posted by ChopperST
    Crazy? Low interest rates and quantitative easing have boosted asset (shares and bonds) prices so when QE starts to be unwound asset prices have to adjust!
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 9th Feb 18, 11:56 AM
    • 91,016 Posts
    • 58,017 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 9th Feb 18, 11:56 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 11:56 AM
    Its not significant. Around 8%. A correction is classed as 10% and a crash is classed as 20%. Both the dot.com extended period and the credit crunch fell be over 40%.

That is not long term. It isnt even a complete economic cycle. Its medium term at best.

Nothing has happened recently that should change any investment strategy
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. Different people have different needs and what is right for one person may not be for another. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 9th Feb 18, 12:14 PM
    • 57,404 Posts
    • 50,695 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:14 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:14 PM
    You should invest in exactly the same things that you would have invested in two weeks ago,
    Originally posted by Linton
    Some would argue that this part of the problem. Investors are simply following the herd. Without due consideration.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • ChopperST
    • By ChopperST 9th Feb 18, 12:55 PM
    • 1,091 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    ChopperST
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:55 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:55 PM
    Crazy? Low interest rates and quantitative easing have boosted asset (shares and bonds) prices so when QE starts to be unwound asset prices have to adjust!
    Originally posted by Economic
    That was my point...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,664Posts Today

9,717Users online

Martin's Twitter