Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Goldeagle1
    • By Goldeagle1 9th Feb 18, 7:29 AM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Goldeagle1
    Buying agricultural land
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:29 AM
    Buying agricultural land 9th Feb 18 at 7:29 AM
    This seemed the closest forum to ask this question...

I am looking to buy a small piece of land (about 3 acres) and want to know before I buy it whether I can grow crops on it.

The land is advertised as a 'paddock' - is this a formal classification that means anything? There is no mention about it being designated for equestrian use, so assume it is just agricultural.

Are there any restrictions with what you can do on agricultural land? (except the obvious like building a house). Or can you use land for whatever you want, whether that's grazing or for growing crops?

Thanks
Page 1
    • enjoyyourshoes
    • By enjoyyourshoes 9th Feb 18, 7:49 AM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 1,275 Thanks
    enjoyyourshoes
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:49 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:49 AM
    Assuming you are not claiming any subsidy or SFP ?

If its above 2 Ha and has been grassland for 15 years then you have apply to natural England.

You can grow crops but probably need a local contractor to:-

1.0 Kill off all the grass

2.0 Plough

3.0 Till

4.0 Seed

4.0 Harvest

as its a small acreage you will be behind on the queue of larger farmers, so harvesting may be an issue?
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Feb 18, 7:52 AM
    • 24,290 Posts
    • 90,990 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:52 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:52 AM
    One should apply for a change of use if going from agricultural to equestrian, but I'm not sure if it works the other way round, or if anyone would get particularly upset if you did.

With councils being ever more cash-strapped, I wonder how much enforcement goes on, beyond the obvious requirement for permission to site permanent stables on fields. I see plenty of fields being used temporarily for horses, or for mixed use with other animals, which blurs the boundaries even further!

Goverment agencies know what's going on at any rural location through satellite imagery much better than you or I could access. For example, new fences soon appear on the maps they use.

Certainly, there are no restrictions on growing crops on agricultural land or putting it to mixed use, such as vegetable growing with orchard fruits etc.
    Last edited by Davesnave; 09-02-2018 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Added para regarding aerial surveillance
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Feb 18, 7:54 AM
    • 24,290 Posts
    • 90,990 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:54 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:54 AM
    Assuming you are not claiming any subsidy or SFP ? They won't be.

If its above 2 Ha and has been grassland for 15 years then you have apply to natural England. It isn't.
    Originally posted by enjoyyourshoes

Have you read the post carefully?
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • enjoyyourshoes
    • By enjoyyourshoes 9th Feb 18, 7:58 AM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 1,275 Thanks
    enjoyyourshoes
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:58 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:58 AM
    Davesnave Providing full information (OP can convert Ha to Acre if they so desire)

If you want animals on the land, you mentioned grazing, you will need a CPH number
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
    • Goldeagle1
    • By Goldeagle1 9th Feb 18, 8:32 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Goldeagle1
    • 9th Feb 18, 8:32 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 8:32 AM
    Hi

Thanks for the replies so far.

For clarification - no subsidies or anything, and no grazing - just buying a small piece of land to plant on; actually planning to plant a permanent crop rather than an annual crop (not sure what the correct terminology is).

The land will be less than 2 hectares as my budget is £50k which means most likely will be able to get 3 to 4 acres.

I will get guidance from a solicitor before I commit to any purchase, was initially just trying to inform myself as far as possible before going any further.

All the land around it appears to be laid to grass rather than used for crops, otherwise I wouldn't have been too concerned. There is also a farm house immediately adjacent to the field so didn't want to go annoying anyone by growing something if I'm not allowed to.
    Barclaycard - starting £380 reclaim (letter 2 - 20/3/07)
    - so far been refunded £152
    Capital One - started £200 reclaim (letter 2 - 20/3/07)
    - so far been refunded £80
    Barclays - thinking about reclaiming £500
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Feb 18, 8:34 AM
    • 24,290 Posts
    • 90,990 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 9th Feb 18, 8:34 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 8:34 AM
    Davesnave Providing full information (OP can convert Ha to Acre if they so desire)

If you want animals on the land, you mentioned grazing, you will need a CPH number
    Originally posted by enjoyyourshoes
    2 ha is much larger than this paddock, so I don't see the point of adding the complication. They won't be eligible for SPF either.

For your info, it's possible to have animals grazing land without it having a CPH number, provided the owner of the animals has one and records the movement and location via field number etc, but we are just straying into territory which probably isn't helpful here, at least for the moment.
    Last edited by Davesnave; 09-02-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,502Posts Today

8,273Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks for all the tweets this week. I'm about to sign off for the weekend. See you next week. Have a good one. Martin

• RT @TimesMoney: Is this how you feel about your student loan? @MartinSLewis has some advice for you. Read our exclusive interview in @Times?

• RT @brokenbottleboy: @MartinSLewis I look better now than I did when I was in my twenties. Grey hair has been a good thing!

• Follow Martin