Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JEN22
    • By JEN22 9th Feb 18, 5:06 AM
    • 377Posts
    • 69Thanks
    JEN22
    Do i really neeed McAfee?
    • 9th Feb 18, 5:06 AM
    Do i really neeed McAfee? 9th Feb 18 at 5:06 AM
    Doi really need to pay for MCAfee or Kaspersky or can you do without it
Page 1
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 9th Feb 18, 6:06 AM
    • 5,124 Posts
    • 2,763 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:06 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:06 AM
    You certainly don't need McAfee!

Windows Defender comes with Windows 10 and is quite decent.
    Avast!, AVG or Avira are third-party free antiviruses, but they nag you to upgrade to their paid-for companions. Some of this nagging can be turned off but it annoys some people intensely.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Feb 18, 7:22 AM
    • 24,288 Posts
    • 90,980 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:22 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:22 AM
    I have AVG.

It does nag, but I tell it to b*ggar-off..... and it does, for a while at least.

I could have BT's 'free' protection suite, but last time I looked, that was just McAfee in disguise and I decided I'd rather live without it.

When I once had malware, about 6 years ago, I was running paid-for McAfee. Having failed to protect me, they then wanted an extra £60 to help me out. Malwarebytes sorted it with me for nothing.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 9th Feb 18, 8:22 AM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 707 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 9th Feb 18, 8:22 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 8:22 AM
    Doi really need to pay for MCAfee or Kaspersky or can you do without it
    Originally posted by JEN22
    No you don't. Microsoft's own AV solution (built into Windows 10, free download for Windows 7) is perfectly good and less intrusive.
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 9th Feb 18, 8:53 AM
    • 5,727 Posts
    • 2,205 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    • 9th Feb 18, 8:53 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 8:53 AM
    you haven't needed a 3rd party av for windows since winxp as microsoft has provided one to download and now its built into win10.

the days of 3rd party av are over as the security should be built into the os imo.
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 9th Feb 18, 4:24 PM
    • 3,287 Posts
    • 2,401 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 9th Feb 18, 4:24 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 4:24 PM
    Do i really need to pay for MCAfee or Kaspersky
    Originally posted by JEN22

NO

There are plenty of free alternatives that provide all the protection you need and wont slow your machine down anywhere near as much as these horrible suites.

If you are using windows 10 then you alrerady have one built in.

(Dont listen to the misleading "stats" tables that state defender is 0.0021% worse at detecting viruses because in real world scenarios that is completely meaningless - just marketing techniques from the big AV companies who have to resort to these tactics as they realise their software is becoming obselete)

As long as they can scan for heuritics then you are golden because the big threat these days is NOT from viruses but rather from malware.

You should be more concerned with a malware solution.

I suggest the free version of this :-

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Run that once a week, or when you have had a lapse and clicked on something that you shouldnt have
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 9th Feb 18, 4:43 PM
    • 26,616 Posts
    • 10,689 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 9th Feb 18, 4:43 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 4:43 PM
    NOBODY needs McAfee.

Only recommended to people i REALLY dislike.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 9th Feb 18, 5:07 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 657 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 9th Feb 18, 5:07 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 5:07 PM
    I suggest the free version of this :-

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Run that once a week, or when you have had a lapse and clicked on something that you shouldnt have
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    The problem with the free version of Malwarebytes is that it doesn’t run in the background, by the time you run a scan it’s often too late.

Some AV/anti malware software locks down programs and folders to reduce the likelihood of malware infections doing damage.

Another protective measure is to mostly run Windows under a user account, NOT as an Administrator that helps to reduce the risk.

Whether one solution is better than another is hard to determine, as tomorrow’s malware isn’t known about today...
    • ClippTube
    • By ClippTube 9th Feb 18, 5:34 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ClippTube
    • 9th Feb 18, 5:34 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 5:34 PM
    No, Windows Defender works fine, and if you want, you can install avast browser checker add-on on google chrome and other major search engines to check if the website is safe
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 9th Feb 18, 6:34 PM
    • 3,287 Posts
    • 2,401 Thanks
    AndyPix
    The problem with the free version of Malwarebytes is that it doesn’t run in the background, by the time you run a scan it’s often too late.
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north

Agreed - That's why I often add the caveat "coupled with a dose of common sense"

If you are more of the "click happy" persuasion then I would advise that the premium may be a worthwhile investment - Certainly over and above any paid AV
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • DesertWind
    • By DesertWind 10th Feb 18, 8:49 AM
    • 142 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    DesertWind
    Try the 90 Day Free Trial with Bitdefender Total Security https://www.bitdefender.com/site/Facebook/redFreeDownload

I use it.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 10th Feb 18, 10:42 PM
    • 26,616 Posts
    • 10,689 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    You use the 90 day free trial, what will you use after 90 days?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,008Posts Today

7,829Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's surreal Friday twitter poll: If you had a choice between aging on the inside or the outside, for the rest? https://t.co/gabklHJ0w1

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Final shoot for this series of The Martin Lewis Money Show! Have loved meeting & helping empower? https://t.co/MOtvb73nVu

• RT @LaraLewington: Riding a remote control electric skateboard is obviously best done in heels. Max speed 22mph, but maybe trainers for tha?

• Follow Martin