Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • conductor71
    • By conductor71 9th Feb 18, 1:43 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 5Thanks
    conductor71
    Sudden 2G network shut down - Airtel Jersey
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:43 AM
    Sudden 2G network shut down - Airtel Jersey 9th Feb 18 at 1:43 AM
    I was shocked to get a text yesterday from my main PAYG service provider in Jersey, Airtel-Vodafone, advising me that that they are switching off their 2G network on 1st April. Their Twitter page has never said anything about this. After some searching, I found a quiet notice hidden away on their website. They are offering a "free" 3G handset but it's not free because I would have to purchase £30 or £40 credit, which is way more than I would ever use before it expires.

I briefly checked the regulatory situation and all I can find is a Consumer Code of Conduct for Airtel from 2014 on the web page of the local Regulator about making a complaint but it is worryingly wooly and doesn't even mention 2G, nor require them to provide a 2G service, or any other service for that matter. Other than a requirement to give a month's notice of any change, it is hard to see on what grounds I could complain.

I choose not to use smartphones - I can access internet services on other devices including an i-Pad if I want to - and some other elderly members of my family use the same basic feature phones as me. I've very recently bought some newer 2017 feature phones (but not directly from Airtel) and I'm really angry that I won't be able to use them on Airtel come April. I feel cheated. Until a couple of weeks ago, Airtel were offering big incentives (e.g. £60 free PAYG credit) for customers of other networks to port their numbers to Airtel but there was no mention at all that they were about to shut down their 2G service.

There are 2 other mobile networks in Jersey and this obviously raises the question of whether they could also choose to shut down their 2G services at very short notice in the future without breaking the terms of their license. Surely the public has the right to know of any future plans to switch off parts of the network well in advance, say a year or so before the planned switch off? I have also heard that some mobile networks in Europe have even switched off their 3G service as well so this might be a possibility in Jersey too.

How does this compare to the UK mainland mobile networks - what sort of notice period did they have to provide before switching off 2G and has anyone complained to their local Trading Standards about the lack of advance notice given?

Another unrelated grumble - why am I still not allowed to post links in my posts despite being a member of this site for years? It is telling me I'm a "new user". Can Admin not sort this out?
Page 2
    • conductor71
    • By conductor71 14th Feb 18, 4:18 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    conductor71
    I was very relieved to learn today that Jersey's other 2 mobile network providers, Sure (C&W) and the publicly-owned Jersey Telecom (JT) apparently don't have plans to switch off their 2G networks 'for a few years yet'.

It just proves that it is not absolutely inevitable that all 2G networks must shut down straight away just because others elsewhere have done so. Both companies also operate in the neighbouring island of Guernsey (JT = 'Wave') and Sure operates in the Isle of Man, so hopefully that is a good sign for their customers in those locations too (although this strictly only refers to their plans in Jersey, not anywhere else).
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 16th Feb 18, 1:05 PM
    • 4,366 Posts
    • 1,346 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    I was very relieved to learn today that Jersey's other 2 mobile network providers, Sure (C&W) and the publicly-owned Jersey Telecom (JT) apparently don't have plans to switch off their 2G networks 'for a few years yet'.

It just proves that it is not absolutely inevitable that all 2G networks must shut down straight away just because others elsewhere have done so. Both companies also operate in the neighbouring island of Guernsey (JT = 'Wave') and Sure operates in the Isle of Man, so hopefully that is a good sign for their customers in those locations too (although this strictly only refers to their plans in Jersey, not anywhere else).
    Originally posted by conductor71
    A 3G network does everything a 2G does plus it's supports higher speed data and HD voice calls.

Do you have the horseless carriage on the Channel Islands yet?
    • boatman
    • By boatman 16th Feb 18, 4:12 PM
    • 3,706 Posts
    • 2,607 Thanks
    boatman

Do you have the horseless carriage on the Channel Islands yet?
    Originally posted by Heng Leng
    'Sark is one of the few remaining places in the world where cars are banned from roads'

That'll be a no....

Don't ask where Starbucks is either..

Kind of ironic that a tax haven have effectively rejected a company who also have a colourful tax life.. It never opened, thought it might destroy local business..
    Last edited by boatman; 16-02-2018 at 4:30 PM. Reason: ii
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 16th Feb 18, 5:33 PM
    • 7,935 Posts
    • 5,779 Thanks
    pmduk
    Well I don't mean to cause offence either but please try to embrace other people's likes and dislikes - you might even find a benefit!
    Presumably, you are still using square wheels and have yet to adopt decimal currency?
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 16th Feb 18, 5:42 PM
    • 7,935 Posts
    • 5,779 Thanks
    pmduk
    That doesn't mean they might not introduce plans next month having seen the results of Airtel's lead.
    • Tony5101
    • By Tony5101 22nd Feb 18, 10:00 AM
    • 1,472 Posts
    • 813 Thanks
    Tony5101
    Why don!!!8217;t you just spend £20 of that lovely tax free money and buy a cheap 3G phone...
    Who knows, you might even enjoy the liberation of a fast(er) data service on your phone..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,464Posts Today

8,529Users online

Martin's Twitter