Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • anxious18
    • By anxious18 8th Feb 18, 9:40 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    anxious18
    builder quote vs estimate advice please
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:40 PM
    builder quote vs estimate advice please 8th Feb 18 at 9:40 PM
    hey, Im wanting some advice. I originally asked for a quote from my builder for works i wanted carried out (fitting a kitchen). He said he would email me a 'quote' and i then chased it up when i didnt hear anything via email. I have an email from the day i recieved the quote/estimate saying that it had been sent through. they use the word quote in the email saying it has been sent through. but then i have a seperate email with the price which says etimate and it says estimate at the top of the pdf with the prices.

My builder told me that there would be an additonal cost for my ceiling and i asked how much and he said no more than £100 (which is fine and i dont mind paying as agreed to.)

he has now sent me an invoice demanding payment on a set date (he hasn't completed the work yet) which is 1.5 times the original quote/estimate.

he is saying he told me he was carrying out works but they were all things that i thought were already covered by the original estimate. and he is insisting are extras. but even if they were not in the original shouldn't he have informed me of the potential cost before undertaking them.

wondering if anyone else can suggest if this was a quote or an estimate considering the builders interchangable use of language.

want to come to a civil agreement but not comfortable speaking after the last time he phoned. he was very aggressive and uncivil. but still need the work completing.

thanks in advance
    Last edited by anxious18; 08-02-2018 at 9:57 PM. Reason: update title
Page 1
    • anxious18
    • By anxious18 9th Feb 18, 6:44 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    anxious18
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:44 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 6:44 PM
    update: the builder phoned my mum yesterday and said they have emailed me. I still have no email.
    I have also texted and asked for an update on what is going on with the kitchen work (as no work has been done for a week now). They are still not responding and am unsure how to proceed.

I have sent them an email on advice from another builder asking that if work doesnt recomence by next friday i would like them to remove the cost of uncompleted tiling from my invoice and i will finish the tiling work myself. (I have a freind who is very handy and has offered to finish the work)

I just want it finished as currently cant use my kitchen and the house is in dissaray. was told by the installer the job would take 2 weeks. it has now been over 3 with no progress in the last week.

any advice on how to proceed? thanks
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 9th Feb 18, 7:25 PM
    • 24,438 Posts
    • 67,307 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:25 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:25 PM
    Have you paid anything?

An estimate is an estimate. A quote is a fixed price.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • anxious18
    • By anxious18 10th Feb 18, 11:32 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    anxious18
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:32 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 11:32 PM
    Paid 50% upfront but having issues deciphering which due to them using both terms.

Now getting phone calls late in the evening saying money is now due (even though work still snt complete)
    • Socajam
    • By Socajam 11th Feb 18, 4:01 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Socajam
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:01 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:01 PM
    Make sure you take pictures/video just in case you have to go to court.
    If he returns, pay him half of the 50%, and the remainder when the job is complete.
    Pay him by cheque, make sure to take a copy of the cheque for your records.
    Save emails and text messages.
    I would also write a letter to him outlining all that needs to be completed and if not completed by a certain date, you will take over the project.
    Send letter by certified mail, to ensure that some have to sign for it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,086Posts Today

9,919Users online

Martin's Twitter