Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DLC2013
    • By DLC2013 8th Feb 18, 8:24 PM
    • 41Posts
    • 1Thanks
    DLC2013
    Internet back up recommendations
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:24 PM
    Internet back up recommendations 8th Feb 18 at 8:24 PM
    Hi all,

We happen to have a pretty good Internet connection at home with BT, however, like most people we are liable to a loss of connectivity from time to time.

So I was looking into getting a cheap, for want of a better phrase "emergency-like", back up connection in order to mitigate against those dreaded occasions.

I'm gravitating towards some kind of mobile broadband pay as you go dongle? I imagine we would only need something that can keep us online until any faults were fixed/engineer visit. Just browsing, surfing etc..no labour intensive stuff.

Can anyone advise any further?

P.s I'm not really looking into any kind of contract or commitment, Ideally I'm just hoping there is something out there I can call upon and pull out of the drawer and stick into the laptop in my hour of need.
Page 1
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 8th Feb 18, 8:38 PM
    • 1,638 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:38 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:38 PM
    If you're seriously considering a 'backup' BB supplier due to dropouts then I'd suggest that you need to leave BT, I've had (I think) just one brief downtime with Sky in 10 years.
    • DLC2013
    • By DLC2013 8th Feb 18, 8:47 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    DLC2013
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:47 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:47 PM
    No, I'm not thinking of leaving BT, they have been excellent from my experience. I'm merely interested in some kind of emergency pay as you go dongle or something of that description to act as a precaution in the event of any fault. I know they are rare but I'm perhaps not the most patient when it comes to broadband restoration delays!

I was just wondering if anyone knew of anything they could recommend?

I realise this probably speaks volumes of how dependent I am and apologies If I'm perhaps not articulating myself very well here!
    Last edited by DLC2013; 08-02-2018 at 8:50 PM.
    • Roland Sausage
    • By Roland Sausage 8th Feb 18, 9:06 PM
    • 527 Posts
    • 389 Thanks
    Roland Sausage
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:06 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:06 PM
    If you have a smartphone, you can activate the internet hotspot function on it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,350Posts Today

9,267Users online

Martin's Twitter