Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • NeonLabsUK
    • By NeonLabsUK 8th Feb 18, 8:23 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    NeonLabsUK
    Two Jobs
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:23 PM
    Two Jobs 8th Feb 18 at 8:23 PM
    Hello.

I am currently working for one company that gave me an 8-hour contract. I was working between 20 - 50 hours a week, but since Christmas, this has gone down to 4 - 8 hours so already giving me fewer hours that contract. As a means to work more, I have got another job at a different company that is contracted as 4 hours, but I shall be working more. Both companies know about each other, but the first company is starting to give me more hours again over my contract which may start conflicting with my new job.

Is there a way that I can ensure that I only work my contracted hours or work on set days? My first job is retail so hours do go up and down. One company can't give me the hours and money I want and need, but both combined do.

What advice or help is available for me?

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 8th Feb 18, 8:32 PM
    • 38,055 Posts
    • 34,551 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:32 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:32 PM
    If you have an 8 hour contract, then they ought to be paying 8 hours, and it could be worth reminding them of this, but gently if the job otherwise suits you.

If you also have a 4 hour contract, are those hours regular / fixed?

Because if either was a genuine zero hours contract, then you would be legally allowed to turn work down. If neither are ZHC, then your best bet is to see if you can get at least some fixed hours in one or both jobs, and tell the other that you are never available to work those hours.

If neither will do this, then it's going to be a matter of negotiation each time hours are offered - easier when adequate notice is given - is it?
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats and 1 balaclava for seamen ...
    Current projects: another balaclava, must find a mohair cardigan pattern ...
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 8th Feb 18, 8:39 PM
    • 4,562 Posts
    • 4,817 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:39 PM
    Speak to management at both locations and try to get some of your working hours defined e.g. Monday & Tuesday morning at A, Thursday pm at B. Let each know the times you will not be available for them and juggle the rest accordingly.
    • NeonLabsUK
    • By NeonLabsUK 8th Feb 18, 8:39 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    NeonLabsUK
    Hello.

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

When my 8 hours contract turned out to some weeks of having 4 hours, we were told we would have to take holiday to cover the shortfall. I feel it's wrong as I like to save holiday for when I genuinely need it. That's not much of a concern, but do tell me if I have a right to say something about this?

Both jobs are not fixed. Job 1 is 8 hours and Job 2 is 4 hours, but I generally will work over this usually. As they're not fixed it's hard to tell each employer what I can and can't work.

So far Job 2 is letting me tell them the hours of Job 1 and working around this which is great, but from the past Job 1 may pick up hours meaning I may not be available to work much at Job 2 and they have already said they want commitement from me which is understandable. I feel like I am trying to better myself, but being held back by jobs that are not fixed hours.

I want to say to Job 1 that I only want to work my contract hours without more hours, even though the contract states I should be available so I don't know where I stand. I don't want to quit one as I got another job to boost income overall. I am confident that Job 2 will be better for me so if Job 1 can't give me the flexibility I may have to leave and focus on one job although that's not what I ideally want.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 8th Feb 18, 9:19 PM
    • 38,055 Posts
    • 34,551 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:19 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:19 PM
    When my 8 hours contract turned out to some weeks of having 4 hours, we were told we would have to take holiday to cover the shortfall. I feel it's wrong as I like to save holiday for when I genuinely need it. That's not much of a concern, but do tell me if I have a right to say something about this?
    Originally posted by NeonLabsUK
    It may depend how much notice of this they give you, but an employer can dictate when you take your annual leave.

I want to say to Job 1 that I only want to work my contract hours without more hours, even though the contract states I should be available so I don't know where I stand. I don't want to quit one as I got another job to boost income overall. I am confident that Job 2 will be better for me so if Job 1 can't give me the flexibility I may have to leave and focus on one job although that's not what I ideally want.
    Can you post exactly what Job 1 says about flexibility? And how much notice do they each give of what they want you to work?

How long have you worked at Job 1?

There's certainly nothing to stop you asking if you can just work 8 hours, or even asking if you can have fixed shifts as a starting point. However, I don't think an employer has to agree - but you might be better off with a genuine ZHC in one job or the other. Having said that, if you turn too many hours down you may find what you're offered goes down.

It is a minefield.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats and 1 balaclava for seamen ...
    Current projects: another balaclava, must find a mohair cardigan pattern ...
    • anamenottaken
    • By anamenottaken 8th Feb 18, 9:27 PM
    • 4,035 Posts
    • 3,510 Thanks
    anamenottaken
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:27 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:27 PM
    Hello.

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

When my 8 hours contract turned out to some weeks of having 4 hours, we were told we would have to take holiday to cover the shortfall. I feel it's wrong as I like to save holiday for when I genuinely need it. That's not much of a concern, but do tell me if I have a right to say something about this? Your employer can say exactly when you take holiday - you have no right in law to say when you want to take it. However it does have to be paid.

. . . .
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 8th Feb 18, 10:04 PM
    • 4,552 Posts
    • 7,609 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:04 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:04 PM
    Hello.

I am currently working for one company that gave me an 8-hour contract. I was working between 20 - 50 hours a week, but since Christmas, this has gone down to 4 - 8 hours so already giving me fewer hours that contract. As a means to work more, I have got another job at a different company that is contracted as 4 hours, but I shall be working more. Both companies know about each other, but the first company is starting to give me more hours again over my contract which may start conflicting with my new job.

Is there a way that I can ensure that I only work my contracted hours or work on set days? My first job is retail so hours do go up and down. One company can't give me the hours and money I want and need, but both combined do.

What advice or help is available for me?

Thanks in advance.
    Other than the employer agreeing in writing, there is no way your can enforce this. These contracts exist for the employers benefit, not yours, and they generally aren't going to care about what suits you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,941Posts Today

8,880Users online

Martin's Twitter