Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Amystopher
    • By Amystopher 8th Feb 18, 3:00 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Amystopher
    Debenhams Store Card Refund help...
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:00 PM
    Debenhams Store Card Refund help... 8th Feb 18 at 3:00 PM
    Hi newbie here!

I have a situation and Debenhams/Newday are so unhelpful. I wanted to ask for advice before I go ahead and do anything that will have a lasting effect.

I purchased a coat from Debenhams.com and paid using my Debenhams store card. I then proceeded to paying it off straight away which is something I've been doing for years with no issues. So the coat came and there's buttons missing all over, so I got in touch with Debenhams Head Office who have offered a refund which is what I want. However now that I've paid my store card which has a 0 balance, I would rather have the money back on my Debit Card, but Debenhams are not allowing this saying that the money will be refunded automatically back to the original payment method. Now I'm at a £65 loss and to be honest, the money would help me a lot this month, so they suggested I ring up NewDay who are the credit providers and do a balance transfer. Is this correct? Is this the right thing to do? Alternatively is there anything else I can do?

Thanks in advance x
Page 1
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 8th Feb 18, 3:03 PM
    • 1,634 Posts
    • 5,927 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:03 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:03 PM
    Usually a retailer will refund in the original payment method. Would the refund not actually put your card in credit so to speak so you have £65 on the card to use?
    Hiraeth
    • zx81
    • By zx81 8th Feb 18, 3:05 PM
    • 15,522 Posts
    • 16,466 Thanks
    zx81
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:05 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:05 PM
    Ask them to refund you the credit to your account, or send you a cheque.
    • Amystopher
    • By Amystopher 8th Feb 18, 3:11 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Amystopher
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:11 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:11 PM
    Usually a retailer will refund in the original payment method. Would the refund not actually put your card in credit so to speak so you have £65 on the card to use?
    Originally posted by Oakdene
    I very rarely shop at Debenhams now, so the £65 would just stay on the card hence why I wanted it back to my bank account instead.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 8th Feb 18, 3:31 PM
    • 1,634 Posts
    • 5,927 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:31 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:31 PM
    Could you call up & close the account if you don't use it, that would perhaps force them to send you a cheque.
    Hiraeth
    • Amystopher
    • By Amystopher 8th Feb 18, 4:02 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Amystopher
    • 8th Feb 18, 4:02 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 4:02 PM
    Could you call up & close the account if you don't use it, that would perhaps force them to send you a cheque.
    Oh please, they would never ever do that.
    • Amystopher
    • By Amystopher 8th Feb 18, 4:03 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Amystopher
    • 8th Feb 18, 4:03 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 4:03 PM
    Ask them to refund you the credit to your account, or send you a cheque.
    Originally posted by zx81
    I just asked and they said for security reasons they won't issue a cheque. This is very frustrating I've just wrote to their complaints department
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 8th Feb 18, 4:04 PM
    • 1,634 Posts
    • 5,927 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 8th Feb 18, 4:04 PM
    Originally posted by Amystopher
    Have you tried?
    Hiraeth
    • zx81
    • By zx81 8th Feb 18, 4:04 PM
    • 15,522 Posts
    • 16,466 Thanks
    zx81
    They would - they're required to return the funds to you.
    • Amystopher
    • By Amystopher 8th Feb 18, 4:06 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Amystopher
    Have you tried?
    I don't want to close my account down, I've had it for years and I'm happy to use it during sales as cardholders get benefits.
    • msallen
    • By msallen 8th Feb 18, 4:17 PM
    • 708 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    msallen
    Refunds are always made back to the original card in order to stop people spending money on a stolen card and then getting it refunded back to them in cash or to another account.

The "Debenhams card" is a credit card not a card that can olny be used in Debenhams. If so then you can use it anywhere, e.g. for your normal food shopping.

Alternatively you can ask them (the Debenhams card, not Debenhams the shop) to refund any positive balance. I assume you asked the store rather than the card for the refund in post #7.

As for your claim that "they would never do that". You are completely and utterly wrong.
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 8th Feb 18, 4:18 PM
    • 1,634 Posts
    • 5,927 Thanks
    Oakdene
    I don't want to close my account down, I've had it for years and I'm happy to use it during sales as cardholders get benefits.
    Then leave the money on the card until the sales.
    Hiraeth
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,275Posts Today

7,300Users online

Martin's Twitter