Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bluehat1
    • By Bluehat1 8th Feb 18, 2:59 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Bluehat1
    No interview required
    • #1
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:59 PM
    No interview required 8th Feb 18 at 2:59 PM
    Hello everyone.
    I applied for bankruptcy Thursday 1st.Feb.
    Approved the next day.
    Today I received a letter from the OR stating that no interview is required.
    Does that mean that an IPA will not be sought,and my bank account will not be frozen?
    (90%of my income is from benefits,with the other 10% being a pension annuity)
Page 1
  • National Debtline
    • #2
    • 8th Feb 18, 5:07 PM
    • #2
    • 8th Feb 18, 5:07 PM
    Hi Bluehat1


    If you've been told no interview is required, it suggests your case is very straight forward. The Insolvency Service Technical Manual (TM) categorises cases and yours sounds like 'Type 0'. The TM states:


    'Type 0. These are cases where a view is taken that there is no essential information to be gathered and that the necessary recommendations can be made and instructions given without any need to contact the bankrupt. An interview is unnecessary.

    The reason for the insolvency is fully explained in the statement of affairs, and no further information is needed from the bankrupt in respect of any asset or IPA/IPO matters to be dealt with.'


    It will still be down to the OR whether to make an IPA. Your bank could also choose to freeze (and possibly withdraw) your bank account, you'll need to check that with them directly. I hope your bankruptcy goes well.


    Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • Bluehat1
    • By Bluehat1 8th Feb 18, 5:24 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bluehat1
    • #3
    • 8th Feb 18, 5:24 PM
    Thanks
    • #3
    • 8th Feb 18, 5:24 PM
    Thank you for your quick reply.
    That has set my mind at rest.
    Thank you.
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 8th Feb 18, 6:30 PM
    • 2,208 Posts
    • 2,096 Thanks
    TheGardener
    • #4
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:30 PM
    • #4
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:30 PM
    As Susie says, its not the OR who freezes bank accounts - its the banks themselves when they are notified. BR usually takes a couple of weeks to filter down to the BR account teams in banks.
    If you haven't already done so - I would advise you open a new 'basic' account and transfer your income to it.
    • Bluehat1
    • By Bluehat1 8th Feb 18, 7:40 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bluehat1
    • #5
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:40 PM
    Bank account
    • #5
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:40 PM
    Thanks for your reply
    When I knew I was going bankrupt I closed my HSBC account and went to Nationwide.
    The advisor put me on a Flex account and said when I went bankrupt they would move me on to a basic account,so hopefully,when they are informed by the OR that is what they will do. Or should I tell them tomorrow myself and will they then transfer me to basic?
    • Rscott93
    • By Rscott93 9th Feb 18, 1:41 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Rscott93
    • #6
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:41 PM
    • #6
    • 9th Feb 18, 1:41 PM
    If I was you, I would deal with this yourself. You may have been told the bank would sort this for you when the time comes, but in your situation, I wouldn't trust the banks word.

    Always best to have your own assurance
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

171Posts Today

1,663Users online

Martin's Twitter