Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tom_Hendo
    • By Tom_Hendo 8th Feb 18, 2:33 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Tom_Hendo
    LISA - First Time Buyer question
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:33 PM
    LISA - First Time Buyer question 8th Feb 18 at 2:33 PM
    Hi All

My girlfriend bougt a house in which I moved into and pay her rent towards. In a year her mortgage is up, and if we got a new place, I would be entitled to use my LISA to purchase it (as I am a first time buyer). This part I understand.

If we instead decide to pay off the full mortgage and outright own the current place, what are my options? I presume that would not qualify as a first purchase and hence I couldnt use the LISA for that money? Would I still be able to qualify for first time purchase on the first house I actually buy (rather than just contribute towards the mortgage?).

TL;DR: Basically what is my option with my LISA balance if we decide to jointly pay off the mortgage on a house that is currently owned by just my girlfriend?
Page 1
    • Ed-1
    • By Ed-1 8th Feb 18, 3:11 PM
    • 2,023 Posts
    • 1,122 Thanks
    Ed-1
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:11 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:11 PM
    Hi All

My girlfriend bougt a house in which I moved into and pay her rent towards. In a year her mortgage is up, and if we got a new place, I would be entitled to use my LISA to purchase it (as I am a first time buyer). This part I understand.

If we instead decide to pay off the full mortgage and outright own the current place, what are my options? I presume that would not qualify as a first purchase and hence I couldnt use the LISA for that money? Would I still be able to qualify for first time purchase on the first house I actually buy (rather than just contribute towards the mortgage?).

TL;DR: Basically what is my option with my LISA balance if we decide to jointly pay off the mortgage on a house that is currently owned by just my girlfriend?
    Originally posted by Tom_Hendo
    Until you are the legal owner (and therefore have a legal interest in property) you can use your LISA for a first time property purchase. Paying off the mortgage for a house owned by someone else is not owning a house yourself (unless you are added as a legal owner of it).
    • Tom_Hendo
    • By Tom_Hendo 14th Feb 18, 1:51 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tom_Hendo
    • 14th Feb 18, 1:51 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 1:51 PM
    Thanks for the info.

So if we contacted the bank to completely re-mortgage and add me to the deed, would I be able to use the ISA funds as that is my first purchase of my first property.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 14th Feb 18, 7:38 PM
    • 1,575 Posts
    • 1,082 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:38 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 7:38 PM
    No you would need to use a solicitor to purchase a share of the property and your partner would need to do the same to sell their share of the property - this would probably cost more than the bonus is worth.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

978Posts Today

7,456Users online

Martin's Twitter