Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 8th Feb 18, 2:18 PM
    • 3,307Posts
    • 5,166Thanks
    another casualty
    Thinking of opening a basic account with HSBC
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:18 PM
    Thinking of opening a basic account with HSBC 8th Feb 18 at 2:18 PM
    Howdy!
    Slightly complicated stare of Affairís .
    I recently made settlement payments to my creditors when on a dmp
    Iím now mortgage free also. Wow
    I have all my eggs in one basket with nationwide . I want to keep the current flex account with them , as I am happy with their service . No problems with direct debits etc. I do have some savings there also.

What I would like to do , is open 2 accounts with HSBC . One being a basic current account with no overdraft , credit card or loan needed.
    The other being a savings account .

Why HSBC ? Well , if they are not related to Santander, Barclays , rbs Mbna then I will feel confident that although my settlements were accepted ( partial and full and final ) then any savings will not be snatched from me .
    I am not currently in employment ( not signing on either)
    I am recovering from illness and aim to look for part time employment in March all going well.
    I donít want to do internet banking initially as I prefer a branch to pay money in when I wish to.
    I have approx £7,000 that I could afford to pay into said accounts.
    I could pay that in instalments or just chuck it all in at once.

Interest rates for savers is bad as we all know .

As I say, the minus points are being unemployed / being on a dmp 2012-2017. Plus points: Homeowner , debt free and x amount of savings
    Please advise
    Thanks
Page 1
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 8th Feb 18, 3:33 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    18cc
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:33 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:33 PM
    HSBC have fairly high income requirements so you may find they won't accept you.

You could apply for a HSBC basic account but since you already have a bank account I don't think they would open one.

If you have a smartphone you could apply for one of the new challenger bank account eg Starling (or Monzo but I prefer Starling). You download the Starling app and apply using the app.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 8th Feb 18, 3:55 PM
    • 3,307 Posts
    • 5,166 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:55 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 3:55 PM
    HSBC have fairly high income requirements so you may find they won't accept you.

You could apply for a HSBC basic account but since you already have a bank account I don't think they would open one.

If you have a smartphone you could apply for one of the new challenger bank account eg Starling (or Monzo but I prefer Starling). You download the Starling app and apply using the app.
    Originally posted by 18cc
    Forgot to mention that I have £5k in an isa with Nationwide . I could transfer that perhaps .

Thanks for that .
    I just looked at both starling and monzo . Yes, starling does look better . The only thing there, is that I can not make any interest there .
    The reason I mentioned HSBC , is because their savings account have better interest . The good thing for myself technically is that I have never had an Iva or gone bankrupt . HSBC do mention Iva as being a rejection .
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 8th Feb 18, 7:31 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    18cc
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:31 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:31 PM
    HSBC saver pays 0.1%. You won't qualify for the regular saver 5% as I don't think you will get an Advance account.

Starling pay 0.5% I think.

If it is interest you want then recommend you look at TSB for example. But I still think Starling is best and maybe open a savings account elsewhere (tesco internet saver pays 1.3%)
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 8th Feb 18, 8:39 PM
    • 4,261 Posts
    • 38,582 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:39 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:39 PM
    Are you using Nationwide RS which is paying 5%?
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ...840MM (84p) + RK 7p= 91pence
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 8th Feb 18, 10:14 PM
    • 4,352 Posts
    • 1,343 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:14 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:14 PM
    Are you using Nationwide RS which is paying 5%?
    Originally posted by Katiehound
    They seem to have a FlexAccount with no regular income.
    The OP would have to convert it to a FlexDirect to be eligible.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,350Posts Today

9,267Users online

Martin's Twitter