Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Marie Williams
    • By Marie Williams 8th Feb 18, 2:06 PM
    • 85Posts
    • 10Thanks
    Marie Williams
    Virgin
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:06 PM
    Virgin 8th Feb 18 at 2:06 PM
    Can anyone advise, I have been with Virgin a long time, I got a reduction a couple of years ago by lowering my TV package. I am on the lowest now. I am paying £64 per month and would like to reduce this. My TV is HD ready but I do not get freeview.

The thing I specially like about Virgin is I get an hours free call time weekdays and weekends and., as I live on my own, this is a lifeline for me. I use broadband. Is there a better deal where I get use of the phone for an hour per call each day. Would I be better getting freeview and if so how do I go about this. I do not use a mobile phone. I am retired and in my 70's.
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 8th Feb 18, 2:29 PM
    • 10,175 Posts
    • 4,226 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:29 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:29 PM
    Check first your TV is not able to get Freeview via the channels list .
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 8th Feb 18, 7:04 PM
    • 2,634 Posts
    • 720 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:04 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:04 PM
    Free calls is only worth £8 a month. Most suppliers offer this all day for £8/month.

I guess the TV issue depends whether you have an arial and if its plugged into the TV. (largeish round socket)

To keep prices down with virgin, you have to threaten to leave every 12 months and read off alternate prices from other suppliers.

If you do this, you could half your current bill, if not more
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 9th Feb 18, 12:57 PM
    • 765 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:57 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 12:57 PM
    Marie, I've just switched to Virgin from PlusNet - only for the improved BB speeds on their network. We had PlusNet phone and BB with anytime calls - cost about £35 a month including line rental, and you can probably get it cheaper as a new customer. We also had the TV package for a year. The anytime calls is what it sounds like you have now.
    If your telly doesn't have Freeview, you can get an external box to attach to it. PlusNet do a TV package as well which comes with a Freeview box and some extra channels which starts about £5 a month - you should be able to haggle a few free months on that as a new customer. I'm sure there are other companies that do similar deals/packages, but I found PlusNet to be good. We are still using the TV box we got from PlusNet as we didn't opt for virgin TV - we've just lost the subscribed channels as you'd expect.
    • Pikeyp
    • By Pikeyp 14th Feb 18, 5:39 PM
    • 444 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    Pikeyp
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:39 PM
    • 14th Feb 18, 5:39 PM
    Marie, I think your paying much more than you should be!
    I have the 100MB broadband + TV (minimum package) + phone line (with Talk Weekends)
    all for £34 a month!
    On top of that I've got the V6 box free of charge (coming in the post tomorrow as it happens)
    Worth a phone call to see if they have any deals going on (especially if you are 'out of contract' , if you are just tell them you are 'thinking of leaving' and that should wake 'em up!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,038Posts Today

7,740Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's surreal Friday twitter poll: If you had a choice between aging on the inside or the outside, for the rest? https://t.co/gabklHJ0w1

• RT @LauraFrancis9: Final shoot for this series of The Martin Lewis Money Show! Have loved meeting & helping empower? https://t.co/MOtvb73nVu

• RT @LaraLewington: Riding a remote control electric skateboard is obviously best done in heels. Max speed 22mph, but maybe trainers for tha?

• Follow Martin