Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Nikiya
    • By Nikiya 8th Feb 18, 1:31 PM
    • 496Posts
    • 437Thanks
    Nikiya
    Help with buying a laptop
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:31 PM
    Help with buying a laptop 8th Feb 18 at 1:31 PM
    Need to replace my battered 7 year old Dell Inspiron before it packs up altogether.
    A friend adviced me to go for i5 and 8 GB for long lasting service. He also recommended the Lenovo brand. But in the last few days most of the laptops I had shortlisted have gone up in price. My friend also changed his advice on Lenovo after learning they have some problems.
    At the same time, I have found some very good options in refurbished laptops. I have read they are well tested and a good option.
    I was ready to go for a HP with https://maximumcomputers.co.uk/ which have very good reviews in Trust Pilot. But I noticed www.mycheaplaptop.co.uk which do NOT have good reviews, say “Microsoft Authorized Refurbished”. Is that an assurance you MUST look for?
    I would be grateful for any pointers since the more I research the more confused I am.
    My budget is not strict. I am prepared to spend up to around 500 pounds for the right choice, but if I can get the same service for less money I’d rather go for that option.
    I use mostly Word and do quite a bit of research online but I do not need graphics. Many thanks in advance!
Page 2
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 11th Feb 18, 8:56 PM
    • 8,396 Posts
    • 6,334 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    What single component would you replace that would give a bigger performance increases than an ssd ?
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Andy, you gave me an open goal, and I don't miss those, checked the linesman no flag so here we go

Linux

But before the OP spends money on h/w, spending time on discerning what makes him think it is in imminent danger of failing may be a zero cost option(other than his time)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,350Posts Today

9,267Users online

Martin's Twitter