Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mystic_bertie
    • By mystic_bertie 8th Feb 18, 1:28 PM
    • 525Posts
    • 71Thanks
    mystic_bertie
    1 Bedroom House New Build - Is It A Bad Idea?
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:28 PM
    1 Bedroom House New Build - Is It A Bad Idea? 8th Feb 18 at 1:28 PM
    Hi guys.

I am looking to buy a house, at the moment im in a private rented property, im not a first time buyer. I live between Coventry and Leicester and the standard of pre owned houses it atrocious, to the point i cant find something i like and that meets my requirements.

I have found a detached 1 bedroom bungalow for sale, its a new build for £199k and available through the help to buy scheme. This makes it affordable for me. I would not normally go for a 1 bedroom house but it meets my needs. It has a large living room and 1 upstairs large main bedroom, i mean large by today's new house standard. The alternative is a 2 bedroom semi house for the same price, i dont like these tiny boxes that are all crammed together with no gardens and an allocated parking space. So i have no need for a second bedroom other than to store junk. Is buying a one bedroom bungalow a bad idea. I dont want to buy a house that im going to struggle to sell. I know it wont appeal to most people but is it going to be nearly impossible to sell later on?

As this is a new detached one bedroom bungalow house with the bedroom in the 1st floor it is quite spacious, how do i know what to offer as i cant compare it to anything else that has sold because there is nothing similar. All the other new build bungalows are 2 bedroom. Any i have seen in a wider radius are old and in a bad decorative condition, so you cant compare the prices. I just know i would rather buy this 1 bedroom bungalow that the small 2 bedroom semi detached houses that are available.
Page 3
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 10th Feb 18, 7:46 AM
    • 2,773 Posts
    • 3,121 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    I can't imagine who would buy this house. Young professionals at the start of their career are more transient and prefer to rent. Older people can't have stairs. Too small for families or evwn a couple. Maybe a landlord?

There's no way on this good green earth I'd buy it.

Ps why is a village only having one pub an issue? I think you may need to reassess your priorities if you want to find a house!
    Last edited by glasgowdan; 10-02-2018 at 7:50 AM.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 10th Feb 18, 8:17 AM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 1,536 Thanks
    NeilCr
    Older people can't have stairs.
    Originally posted by glasgowdan
    Yes they can.

I would consider it if it was in the right area. As would a couple of my mid 60s friends.

There are plenty of spiritely older people who are quite happy with stairs.

For me, the biggie is a downstairs loo. I have one now and I do not need to go up and downstairs that much. As and when I get more rickety that will be an even bigger boon.
    Last edited by NeilCr; 10-02-2018 at 10:23 AM.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 10th Feb 18, 3:32 PM
    • 10,369 Posts
    • 8,511 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Ps why is a village only having one pub an issue? I think you may need to reassess your priorities if you want to find a house!
    A single pub is now the norm for many villages now, some don't even have that luxury.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 10th Feb 18, 3:42 PM
    • 1,991 Posts
    • 6,032 Thanks
    Penitent
    A single pub is now the norm for many villages now, some don't even have that luxury.
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    There's a village up the road that had it's one pub knocked down. You can probably guess what they built on the land.
    • mystic_bertie
    • By mystic_bertie 10th Feb 18, 4:04 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    mystic_bertie
    It's also worth bearing in mind that prices are rising at quite a healthy rate, so if you spend forever dithering over the little rooms, you might find your buying power has shrunk by the time you've accepted the reality of the local housing stock.
    Originally posted by Penitent
    Thanks for your feedback. I am giving up on the idea of a new build, none of them seem spacious enough so i dont think its worth getting a help to buy mortgage only to buy something small. Its worth it for something i really like but that is not the case with the new builds i can afford.

a good house came up for sale in Hinckley today at 180k. I called the estate agent right away because its ideal, sadly they wont take lower than 178 so i cant afford it, no point going to see it.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71409737.html

the search goes on and on and on ha ha
    • mystic_bertie
    • By mystic_bertie 10th Feb 18, 4:16 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    mystic_bertie
    I can't imagine who would buy this house. Young professionals at the start of their career are more transient and prefer to rent. Older people can't have stairs. Too small for families or evwn a couple. Maybe a landlord?

There's no way on this good green earth I'd buy it.

If you want a dram at the pub then its nice to have a choice. A lot of the smaller villages dont have trains or good public transport so your tied to your town for going to the pub. If ts rubbish you are stuck with it. If glasgae hud wan boozer naebidi wid gaw er.

Yes they can.

I would consider it if it was in the right area. As would a couple of my mid 60s friends.

There are plenty of spiritely older people who are quite happy with stairs.

For me, the biggie is a downstairs loo. I have one now and I do not need to go up and downstairs that much. As and when I get more rickety that will be an even bigger boon.
    Originally posted by NeilCr
    Im glad you like it too. Sadly im not going for it because of the reasons discussed.

Originally posted by lincroft1710
    For some yes. My small village has 2 pubs. I dont have the problem jumping on a bus or train but not many places have train stations or have buses that are not very frequent.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 10th Feb 18, 4:26 PM
    • 1,991 Posts
    • 6,032 Thanks
    Penitent
    Thanks for your feedback. I am giving up on the idea of a new build, none of them seem spacious enough so i dont think its worth getting a help to buy mortgage only to buy something small. Its worth it for something i really like but that is not the case with the new builds i can afford.

a good house came up for sale in Hinckley today at 180k. I called the estate agent right away because its ideal, sadly they wont take lower than 178 so i cant afford it, no point going to see it.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-71409737.html

the search goes on and on and on ha ha
    Originally posted by mystic_bertie
    That is nice.

The bitterness you may have sensed in the post you quoted wasn't pointed at you, BTW. It came from my own woeful experience of what I could have bought last time I was looking and what I could buy now.

Best of luck with finding somewhere.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 10th Feb 18, 4:35 PM
    • 1,010 Posts
    • 1,986 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    No harm in looking at the Hinckley property. They might not accept a lower offer now but they may in a few weeks.
    • mystic_bertie
    • By mystic_bertie 11th Feb 18, 10:54 AM
    • 525 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    mystic_bertie
    That is nice.

The bitterness you may have sensed in the post you quoted wasn't pointed at you, BTW. It came from my own woeful experience of what I could have bought last time I was looking and what I could buy now.

Best of luck with finding somewhere.
    Originally posted by Penitent
    Its ok i understand but i did not think it was aimed at me. Thanks a lot and the best of luck to you.

No harm in looking at the Hinckley property. They might not accept a lower offer now but they may in a few weeks.
    Originally posted by BorisThomson
    I dont want to waste my time or the sellers. If its still there in a few weeks ill certainly try again.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,427Posts Today

9,373Users online

Martin's Twitter