Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sugarplump
    • By Sugarplump 8th Feb 18, 1:16 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 12Thanks
    Sugarplump
    Plans for a Sea View
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:16 PM
    Plans for a Sea View 8th Feb 18 at 1:16 PM
    Hi All,

I've been reading peoples diaries for a while now and thought it was time to start my own, mainly just for my own ramblings.
    I'm in my mid 30's (feeling 21 still even if I don't look it LOL), mum to DD who is 9 and DD who is 3, and been with DH for many many years and married for nearly 6yrs.

Our mortgage is currently at £57363 on a fixed rate of 3.9% but due to expire in Aug so desperately wishing the time away so I can get a better rate.

DH has a car loan which is due to finish next month and he also has around £1500 debt on a 0% credit card, he sorts this himself so not overly concerned. We both have our own bank accounts but pay a set amount into our joint account each month which covers the bills and mortgage, then any left is our own to do with as we wish.

I currently have a loan of around £7k which we used to buy a static caravan by the coast, I'm paying this at the minute but DH has said he will help when his car is paid off, but I aim to chuck any money he gives me at the mortgage as it is my dream to get us mortgage free in less than 10yrs. We'd then be in a good position to help both children either with Uni or houses.

My dream for paying off the mortgage is to be able to get a better caravan with a Sea View. Its the little things in life.

Well that's enough of my rambling for now, feel free to pop by for more ramblings of which I guess there'll be plenty.
Page 1
    • LadyGnome
    • By LadyGnome 8th Feb 18, 1:46 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,651 Thanks
    LadyGnome
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:46 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:46 PM
    Welcome and best of luck.
    Mortgage
    Start Nov 2012 £310,000
    Dec 2017 £240,758.46 Reduction £69,241.54
    MFW 2017 #42 £3786.90/£3100
    End Oct Sept 2034 but I have a cunning plan...
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Feb 18, 2:07 PM
    • 50,616 Posts
    • 193,732 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:07 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:07 PM
    Happy shiny new diary
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • therocket
    • By therocket 8th Feb 18, 5:09 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    therocket
    • 8th Feb 18, 5:09 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 5:09 PM
    Welcome! Subscribed All the best with your goals!
    MFW - diary incoming!
    • Happier Me
    • By Happier Me 8th Feb 18, 5:21 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 895 Thanks
    Happier Me
    • 8th Feb 18, 5:21 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 5:21 PM
    I can see the appeal of a caravan with a Seaview. I've never owned a caravan but love having a nosy round the new ones when we go on holiday. We had a glorious week in Devon in a Seaview caravan with a south facing deck a couple of yeara ago and now only a sea view will do! It really was food for the soul

Good luck on your journey.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 8th Feb 18, 5:42 PM
    • 2,535 Posts
    • 12,074 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    • 8th Feb 18, 5:42 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 5:42 PM
    I love your goal. Good luck
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/February 2018=795
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Sugarplump
    • By Sugarplump 9th Feb 18, 10:29 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Sugarplump
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:29 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 10:29 AM
    Thanks for all your lovely replies, its nice to have company on this meandering journey. Most people I know think we are slightly mad and should just be spending any extra money we have and not worrying about the mortgage . I've never been one of these life for the moment people, I blame my mum as she's a very big saver.

I can see the appeal of a caravan with a Seaview. I've never owned a caravan but love having a nosy round the new ones when we go on holiday. We had a glorious week in Devon in a Seaview caravan with a south facing deck a couple of yeara ago and now only a sea view will do! It really was food for the soul

Good luck on your journey.
    Originally posted by Happier Me
    I totally agree Happier Me, I love the idea of just sitting and watching the sea, maybe with a book and a glass of wine. Need something to keep me entertained as hubby plans to spend his free time golfing.

Anyway best get back to work, wont be paying much of this mortgage if I get sacked.
    • tootallulah
    • By tootallulah 9th Feb 18, 2:17 PM
    • 2,045 Posts
    • 7,039 Thanks
    tootallulah
    • 9th Feb 18, 2:17 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 2:17 PM
    Sounds like a great plan, good luck.
    Mortgage House £45,000 26 January 2018.
    • Crumpets
    • By Crumpets 10th Feb 18, 9:07 AM
    • 825 Posts
    • 2,597 Thanks
    Crumpets
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:07 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 9:07 AM
    Good luck sugar plump! A sea view is absolutely one of the best goals. Good luck with your journey. You've got me hankering after a trip to the coast now
    Mortgage March 2011 £143,9276
    Mortgage Feb 2018 £91,873.09
    £242.17/£2000
    • Sugarplump
    • By Sugarplump 10th Feb 18, 9:17 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Sugarplump
    Morning all. Trip to IKEA with the kiddies planned for today, boy I do know how to spoil my kids.

In theory it should be money saving in the long run as planning to buy storage so I don't need to buy DD2 a proper bed.

Hope you all have a lovely day.
    • Sugarplump
    • By Sugarplump 19th Feb 18, 4:50 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Sugarplump
    Right need to get my !!! in gear. Started this diary and then did nothing with it, which is obviously not really the point of it all.
    Will try and make time for an action plan tonight and then I'll be cooking on gas.
    First thing is I need to find out how to make overpayments on my mortgage.
    • Sugarplump
    • By Sugarplump 20th Feb 18, 2:03 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Sugarplump
    NSD today, made lunch to bring to work and have no plans for any spending after work.
    Hoping for a NSD tomorrow and Thursday too. Bank account still looks healthy so will hopefully have money to move into a mortgage overpayment account until I find out how to make the overpayment to them.
    • Sugarplump
    • By Sugarplump 20th Feb 18, 9:29 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Sugarplump
    Wahoo £10 win on the postcode lottery! Keeping everything crossed for a winning streak as got a Euromillions ticket.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,275Posts Today

7,300Users online

Martin's Twitter