Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gjd0496
    • By gjd0496 8th Feb 18, 10:55 AM
    • 10Posts
    • 17Thanks
    gjd0496
    eBay won't allow me to contact the seller
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:55 AM
    eBay won't allow me to contact the seller 8th Feb 18 at 10:55 AM
    I recently had an accident on my bike which effectively wrote it off so I searched eBay to find a replacement. As it happens I found one which was only about 10 miles away so I contacted the seller about going to see it and having a test ride. My plan was that if I liked it, I would then pay using my phone, via PayPal, and take it away.

But the seller told me that he was unable to give me his address as a message came up warning him his account would be blocked if he did so. This seemed odd to me so I tried to send him my phone number and had the same result.

So I contacted eBay support about this and it seems this is now policy, i.e. you cannot see an item you want to purchase unless you have first bought it (in this case it was a buy it now). They suggested if I didn't want it I could get a refund but this isn't a great idea as, apart from all the messing about, the seller could then lose any other buyers in the interim.

I think this policy has gone too far and has shades of Big Brother about it. But that said I do understand why eBay might wish to discourage direct contact with a seller for certain items as they don't want people doing deals outside of eBay but in the case of an item you really need to see before you buy it, I don't believe this should apply. In my case I would have even paid a small fee to eBay to be allowed to do so - maybe they need to think on that?

Effectively this policy has prevented a sale through eBay which must surely be counter-productive? The seller informed me he would now take it off of eBay and sell through another route which proves my point.

If the seller had been a business, this wouldn't have happened as you can contact them to view an item in this case.

I also asked eBay support if this policy applied to Classified Ads as I was about to sell a car through this method and was told it does, but further reading suggests that this was incorrect. By the way you can't sell a bike through a Classified Ad as that isn't allowed either!!

So, to cut to the chase, my question was is it legal for eBay to enforce such a policy as it certainly isn't in their best interests or those of private sellers?
Page 1
    • soolin
    • By soolin 8th Feb 18, 11:00 AM
    • 59,889 Posts
    • 42,519 Thanks
    soolin
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:00 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:00 AM
    Here's an existing thread about it:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5757203&highlight=new+policy

Unfortunately if the seller now removes his listing having had your email he will probably get his account temporarily restricted. Many of us already have warnings for even more minor apparent infringements and I certainly would not have risked my account even trying to assist you- unfortunate but true.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • gjd0496
    • By gjd0496 8th Feb 18, 11:41 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    gjd0496
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:41 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:41 AM
    Thanks, odd that I couldn't find that thread when I searched but its very helpful. Like you I wouldn't compromise my account either but I think the seller is safe in this case as his intention was to let it expire, or at least I hope so.
    • pulliptears
    • By pulliptears 8th Feb 18, 11:58 AM
    • 13,563 Posts
    • 23,062 Thanks
    pulliptears
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:58 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:58 AM
    Tell your seller to list it on Shpock or Gumtree simultaneously. You can then view it. That said, if you bought it and he then ended the ebay auction it could cause him issues.
    Stupid policy really.
    "Gggggrrrrrr Rrrraaaahhh Rrrrrrggghhhhnn" - Chewbacca (The Empire Strikes Back)

• soolin
    • By soolin 8th Feb 18, 12:19 PM
    • 59,889 Posts
    • 42,519 Thanks
    soolin
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:19 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:19 PM
    Tell your seller to list it on Shpock or Gumtree simultaneously. You can then view it. That said, if you bought it and he then ended the ebay auction it could cause him issues.
    Stupid policy really.
    Originally posted by pulliptears
    How does the OP contact the seller though to suggest that without going through ebay messages and definitely getting a ban? If OP had the sellers email or other contact details they wouldn't have this issue at all.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • pulliptears
    • By pulliptears 8th Feb 18, 12:35 PM
    • 13,563 Posts
    • 23,062 Thanks
    pulliptears
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:35 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:35 PM
    How does the OP contact the seller though to suggest that without going through ebay messages and definitely getting a ban? If OP had the sellers email or other contact details they wouldn't have this issue at all.
    Originally posted by soolin
    Ebay messages: "hello, just wondered if this is also listed on X site?"

Might be enough for seller to have a lightbulb moment and nothing in eBay policies states that an item cannot be listed elsewhere. Asking if it is shouldn't be an issue, though lately who knows.
    "Gggggrrrrrr Rrrraaaahhh Rrrrrrggghhhhnn" - Chewbacca (The Empire Strikes Back)

• soolin
    • By soolin 8th Feb 18, 12:51 PM
    • 59,889 Posts
    • 42,519 Thanks
    soolin
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:51 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:51 PM
    Ebay messages: "hello, just wondered if this is also listed on X site?"

Might be enough for seller to have a lightbulb moment and nothing in eBay policies states that an item cannot be listed elsewhere. Asking if it is shouldn't be an issue, though lately who knows.
    Originally posted by pulliptears
    I still still that as an almost automatic warning or suspension. Why would a buyer be asking about other sites unless they were planning to buy there? That just seems to me an obvious attempt to deal off ebay.

Also, there are ebay policies that state items cannot be offered elsewhere at the same time, so it's possibly two strikes for the price of one.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 8th Feb 18, 1:55 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:55 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:55 PM
    So, to cut to the chase, my question was is it legal for eBay to enforce such a policy as it certainly isn't in their best interests or those of private sellers?
    Originally posted by gjd0496
    Perfectly legal to have an idiot policy which acts against the interests of buyers, sellers and ebay. Sensible? Of course not.
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 8th Feb 18, 2:18 PM
    • 348 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:18 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 2:18 PM
    ebay just isn't a suitable platform for motors, stick to gumtree/shpock or autotrader
    • Gary123456790
    • By Gary123456790 8th Feb 18, 4:19 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 297 Thanks
    Gary123456790
    The last item I collected, the phone number was sent through as ohsevenseveneightone twofour etc! and that was for an item sold on ebay - everyone is paranoid now.

I recently sold an item which was for collection only, which i dont do very often - I sent my phone number normally but I did choose my words carefully, e.g. i didn't write "my phone number is ...", more like "i'm on ....", not that it should really be an issue as the sale was through ebay but i know they still object if they feel like it...

Gary.
    • gjd0496
    • By gjd0496 9th Feb 18, 9:59 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    gjd0496
    ebay just isn't a suitable platform for motors, stick to gumtree/shpock or autotrader
    Originally posted by seatbeltnoob
    As long as the buyer can contact the seller, which I believe they can if its a classified ad, then eBay would be my first choice for selling a car as I have had good results before. £15 is cheap for this service (but don't tell them in case they put the price up...).
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 10th Feb 18, 7:36 PM
    • 9,056 Posts
    • 55,616 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    The last item I collected, the phone number was sent through as ohsevenseveneightone twofour etc! and that was for an item sold on ebay - everyone is paranoid now.

I recently sold an item which was for collection only, which i dont do very often - I sent my phone number normally but I did choose my words carefully, e.g. i didn't write "my phone number is ...", more like "i'm on ....", not that it should really be an issue as the sale was through ebay but i know they still object if they feel like it...

Gary.
    Originally posted by Gary123456790

If you have already purchased an item on Ebay it is perfectly okay to exchange contact details.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

171Posts Today

1,624Users online

Martin's Twitter