Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Glover1862
    • By Glover1862 8th Feb 18, 8:39 AM
    • 254Posts
    • 125Thanks
    Glover1862
    Offset mortgage- depositing additional funds
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:39 AM
    Offset mortgage- depositing additional funds 8th Feb 18 at 8:39 AM
    If I apply for a offset mortgage with additional funds can I simply hold the additional funds in the linked savings accounts? this way I will have the money should I need it but it won't cost me any interest, any issues with this plan? I am thinking of building an extension but just not sure when ( or if I really want to do it) and now is remortgage time so ideal time to apply for additional funds.
Page 1
    • minimike2
    • By minimike2 8th Feb 18, 8:43 AM
    • 1,933 Posts
    • 1,441 Thanks
    minimike2
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:43 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:43 AM
    Yes entirely possible.

Your only blocker will be getting someone to provide you advice to borrow money which you do not need. You will need to give a valid reason as to why you need to borrow the money. Putting it into savings just in case is hard to justify for an advisor.
    I am a mortgage industry professional. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice
    • Glover1862
    • By Glover1862 8th Feb 18, 9:10 AM
    • 254 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Glover1862
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:10 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:10 AM
    Thanks, as I mentioned it is for an extension which I'm 90% certain I'll do just not sure when, borrowing the extra now will mean I'll know how much I can spend.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 8th Feb 18, 11:33 AM
    • 31,358 Posts
    • 18,789 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:33 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:33 AM
    Offsets are ideal for this sort of situation

You still have to watch the LTV and rate boundaries.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

877Posts Today

7,325Users online

Martin's Twitter