Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mallen
    • By mallen 8th Feb 18, 8:16 AM
    • 41Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mallen
    Conservatory
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:16 AM
    Conservatory 8th Feb 18 at 8:16 AM
    Hi,
    I am in the process of buying a house and want to put a conservatory on it. It actually looks like there was one there previous but the current vendor says it has been that way for the last 15 years.
    Anyway I'm after a similar style to my neighbours, wall or brick on-side glass the other two..

What style of conservatory is my neighbours?
    I will also be getting the rear of the house rendered. Is this best to do before or after the conservatory?
    The outside wall will become the inside in the conservatory, what do you normally do with this bit? Paint it..
    Last edited by mallen; 08-02-2018 at 8:19 AM.
Page 1
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 8th Feb 18, 8:53 AM
    • 3,971 Posts
    • 8,121 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:53 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:53 AM
    Standard lean-to.

Render before conservatory..

Internal style plaster...

For something like that which is easy to build, get some conservatory bods to quote, and a builder or three... who can do the render as well.
    • Furts
    • By Furts 8th Feb 18, 10:25 AM
    • 3,861 Posts
    • 2,459 Thanks
    Furts
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:25 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:25 AM
    Does it have cavity wall construction? If so you need to render in conjunction with your conservatory design. The wall needs opening up, a cavity tray building in, with weep holes and discharging onto a flashing upstand. This can only be established, height wise, once you have established your conservatory details.

Even if a panel/concrete/whatever home you still need to consider how and where you are cutting in your flashing.

With all the work the savvy way forward is to build an extension. A conservatory is not a durable, insulated. quality way to build. Numerous people regret ever having a conservatory put on their homes for these, and other, reasons.
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 9th Feb 18, 7:07 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    PhilE
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:07 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:07 PM
    Do yourself a favor and get a proper extension, that will add value to your property and not start to fall apart after 10 years or less.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th Feb 18, 10:26 AM
    • 24,265 Posts
    • 90,915 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:26 AM
    • 10th Feb 18, 10:26 AM
    Your neighbour looks to have a garden room with a solid roof, rather than a conservatory.

That's good, in the sense that solid roofs can be insulated and the building can form a proper extension, if built to the regulations.

On the other hand, a solid roof can make the rooms within the rest of the house rather dark, and unacceptably so in certain circumstances. There are ways of overcoming this, but they will mean careful design and, very likely, an increased cost.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

224Posts Today

1,732Users online

Martin's Twitter