Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 8th Feb 18, 8:14 AM
    • 7,897Posts
    • 5,663Thanks
    esuhl
    Android apps running in background (and on boot)
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:14 AM
    Android apps running in background (and on boot) 8th Feb 18 at 8:14 AM
    Various apps that I rarely use seem to start on boot and run in the background.

I know Android is quite efficient at allocating memory and that background apps use few system resources, but...

If I only use the app once a month, then every single time I boot my phone, all these apps have to load even though I won't use them. It seems very inefficient, and must drain the battery significantly during boot.

Is there some way I can stop these kinds of apps from starting at boot and loading themselves into memory at all until I manually run them? My phone is rooted if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any tips!
Page 2
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 9th Feb 18, 4:46 PM
    • 26,603 Posts
    • 10,684 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Rebooting killed my PC once.

It used to be on 24/7. Powered off and it never came back on..
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 9th Feb 18, 5:31 PM
    • 7,897 Posts
    • 5,663 Thanks
    esuhl
    Yes, it is interesting for you but If you are happy with Gapp, then you donít need to use it (as an Extra)
    Essentially microG is for people who do need (want) to integrate their Smartphone with Google Account services. I personally donít need Google account, Google searchbar, voice assistance etc, but I love still some of Google Apps such as Google Map. Then microG is the solution.

Yes, microG memory usage is much smaller than Google Play services, this would be an advantage for older devices as well. (I have got a Galaxy S from my friend. I would like to play with it )
    Originally posted by toshi
    As I say, GApps Pico omits all the superfluous Google apps, leaving just the basic framework and the Play store. It includes Google Text-to-Speech, which I subsequently uninstalled. And I had to install Google Maps separately.

https://github.com/opengapps/opengapps/wiki/Package-Comparison
    https://github.com/opengapps/opengapps/wiki/Pico-Package

My installed Google apps are very stable and perform well. So... would there be anything to gain from using microG instead?

Are there any privacy benefits to using microG? Surely if you're using a Google user account with Play and Maps, you'll be sending the same personal data to their servers as if you used GApps...?

P.S. I also turned off my Smartphone night (with various reasons!) and the alarm setting wakes my smartphone and myself up in the morning
    Same here! I'm not worried about the radiation, but there are times when I don't want/need to be contactable... and battery life is so bad that it's easy to get caught out (especially when you're away from home or travelling).
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 9th Feb 18, 6:01 PM
    • 7,897 Posts
    • 5,663 Thanks
    esuhl
    It depends on the developers intentions and obviously the purpose of the app ..

For example, if some functionallity of the app needs to be started by an event - or trigger - then the monitor for that event or trigger has to be loaded and running or it will never happen.

Obviously, for apps that you only need to interact with when they are running, and dont rely on information that can happen when they are not running - then there is no reason for them to have autostart ..

But something like whattsapp, for example, needs to sit there and "listen" for incoming messages - so it will start on boot and run a service that polls a certain url every second or so ...
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Ah -- good point! I think the National Rail Enquiries app lets you set up notifications so it will remind you when your train is due or if there are any delays.

However, not everyone will use this feature, so I still think it's bad design. This should be an option you can disable.

I remember a time, (late 90s?) when it seemed like every Windows program you installed would automatically install a system-tray component that was supposed to give improve start times and give "easy access" to programs... when all it did was run unnecessary processes, slowing everything down.

Rebooting killed my PC once.

It used to be on 24/7. Powered off and it never came back on..
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Why leave a PC workstation on all the time? That can't be very energy efficient (or environmentally friendly). :-/
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 9th Feb 18, 6:39 PM
    • 3,279 Posts
    • 2,391 Thanks
    AndyPix
    This should be an option you can disable.
    Originally posted by esuhl

Couldn't agree more.
    However there is little incentive for the devs to do this because most users have no clue as to what's going on in the background and the devs think their app deserves 100% of the devices resources

I remember a time, (late 90s?) when it seemed like every Windows program you installed would automatically install a system-tray component that was supposed to give improve start times and give "easy access" to programs... when all it did was run unnecessary processes, slowing everything down.
    Originally posted by esuhl

Ahhhh - the early days #reminisces to self
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • tronator
    • By tronator 10th Feb 18, 1:08 PM
    • 2,637 Posts
    • 1,462 Thanks
    tronator
    I have used below.

Boot manager (xposed module)

https://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/modules/app-bootmanager-t2432359

You will need to install Xposed framework first.

Extra (radical!) option:
    MicroG : lightweight Open-source alternative to Google Play services : https://microg.org/

This is not so straightforward, but for Lineage user, install MicroG instead of Gapps. Run faster, better privacy, longer battery life.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/microg-unofficial-installer-t3432360

The easiest way to configure this may be
    1) Xposed framework
    2) FakeGApps
    3) microg unofficial installer

Enjoy Happy Hacking
    Don't install it on LineageOS if you don't know what you're doing. It can cause problems and posts on reddit about xposed are getting removed as it is not supported by the developers.
    • toshi
    • By toshi 10th Feb 18, 2:24 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    toshi
    Don't install it on LineageOS if you don't know what you're doing. It can cause problems and posts on reddit about xposed are getting removed as it is not supported by the
    developers.
    Originally posted by tronator
    Yes, Xposed is not for everybody's choice, (I should have insisted on this point, but I am pretty sure that esuhl knows what he is doing.)

Since October 2017, the official Xposed framework supports Nougat Android. I actually had been waiting for this release. And it also Orel beta is released on January 2018.

https://www.xda-developers.com/official-xposed-framework-android-nougat/

https://www.xda-developers.com/xposed-framework-for-android-oreo-beta/

As tronator said, I also have to insist you really need know what you are doing exactly with Custom Rom /LineageOS, Rooting, Xposed etc.

Happy Hacking
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

181Posts Today

1,512Users online

Martin's Twitter