Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 8th Feb 18, 8:14 AM
    • 7,910Posts
    • 5,674Thanks
    esuhl
    Android apps running in background (and on boot)
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:14 AM
    Android apps running in background (and on boot) 8th Feb 18 at 8:14 AM
    Various apps that I rarely use seem to start on boot and run in the background.

I know Android is quite efficient at allocating memory and that background apps use few system resources, but...

If I only use the app once a month, then every single time I boot my phone, all these apps have to load even though I won't use them. It seems very inefficient, and must drain the battery significantly during boot.

Is there some way I can stop these kinds of apps from starting at boot and loading themselves into memory at all until I manually run them? My phone is rooted if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any tips!
Page 1
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 8th Feb 18, 9:40 AM
    • 2,644 Posts
    • 1,494 Thanks
    RumRat
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:40 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:40 AM
    In the new phones you can sleep apps and have more control etc. via the battery section in settings.
    In older ones you may need to put it into developer mode and stop the apps from within there.
    I've never done this by the way and on my S8+ I don't need to, so I'd Google developer mode a bit before starting.
    Here is one to start you off...
    How to stop apps running in Android
    All that said, you will be doing this for ever more as they will all probably restart on their own quite quickly.
    My phone indicates that they use very little power on startup, so choice is yours....
    Good luck.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 8th Feb 18, 10:00 AM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 706 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:00 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:00 AM
    It'll make very little difference to your battery, certainly nothing close to (for instance) keep restarting your phone.
    • tronator
    • By tronator 8th Feb 18, 10:12 AM
    • 2,640 Posts
    • 1,464 Thanks
    tronator
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:12 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:12 AM
    If you run LineageOS, you can do this in the Privacy Guard.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 8th Feb 18, 10:34 AM
    • 7,910 Posts
    • 5,674 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:34 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:34 AM
    If you run LineageOS, you can do this in the Privacy Guard.
    Originally posted by tronator
    Ah -- I am running LineageOS.

Thanks. I'll have a play with those settings.
    • glennevis
    • By glennevis 8th Feb 18, 11:02 AM
    • 142 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    glennevis
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:02 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:02 AM
    I've a rooted phone and use Titanium Backup Pro to freeze annoying apps. This effectively kills then uninstalls an app with a couple of clicks. Apps can be defrosted when needed but unlike an uninstall/reinstall, all the app settings are preserved. Works on system apps too.

TBPro is a very powerful tool.
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 8th Feb 18, 11:10 AM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 708 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:10 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:10 AM
    OP, Why are you rebooting your phone so much?
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 8th Feb 18, 11:40 AM
    • 7,910 Posts
    • 5,674 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:40 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 11:40 AM
    I've a rooted phone and use Titanium Backup Pro to freeze annoying apps. This effectively kills then uninstalls an app with a couple of clicks. Apps can be defrosted when needed but unlike an uninstall/reinstall, all the app settings are preserved. Works on system apps too.

TBPro is a very powerful tool.
    Originally posted by glennevis
    Cheers -- I'll have a look.

OP, Why are you rebooting your phone so much?
    Originally posted by wongataa
    Am I? How much is too much?

As I see it, there is no reason whatsoever for a random, user-installed, non-system app to run on every boot and load itself into RAM. It's a waste of resources; a crazy idea.

Why not have apps load themselves into memory on first use?
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 8th Feb 18, 12:13 PM
    • 5,232 Posts
    • 17,456 Thanks
    indesisiv
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:13 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:13 PM

As I see it, there is no reason whatsoever for a random, user-installed, non-system app to run on every boot and load itself into RAM. It's a waste of resources; a crazy idea.

Originally posted by esuhl
    I reboot my phone every month or so, so apps starting up isn't exactly using much power!
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 8th Feb 18, 1:59 PM
    • 2,644 Posts
    • 1,494 Thanks
    RumRat
    I reboot my phone every month or so, so apps starting up isn't exactly using much power!
    Originally posted by indesisiv
    To be fair, he's using an old phone that, presumably, doesn't manage power all that well.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 8th Feb 18, 5:12 PM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 708 Thanks
    wongataa

I can go months without rebooting so I wouldn't actually notice apps being loaded on boot, because it last happened months ago. If you are noticing that you are rebooting more often. You shouldn't need to reboot very often so I was wondering what issues were causing you to require rebooting.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 8th Feb 18, 5:58 PM
    • 7,910 Posts
    • 5,674 Thanks
    esuhl
    I can go months without rebooting so I wouldn't actually notice apps being loaded on boot, because it last happened months ago. If you are noticing that you are rebooting more often. You shouldn't need to reboot very often so I was wondering what issues were causing you to require rebooting.
    Oh -- I turn my phone off every night when I don't want to be woken up. Or if I'm busy and would prefer to conserve battery life.
    • J B
    • By J B 8th Feb 18, 6:00 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    J B
    Oh -- I turn my phone off every night when I don't want to be woken up. Or if I'm busy and would prefer to conserve battery life.
    Same here ...
    • toshi
    • By toshi 8th Feb 18, 9:51 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    toshi
    I have used below.

Boot manager (xposed module)

https://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/modules/app-bootmanager-t2432359

You will need to install Xposed framework first.

Extra (radical!) option:
    MicroG : lightweight Open-source alternative to Google Play services : https://microg.org/

This is not so straightforward, but for Lineage user, install MicroG instead of Gapps. Run faster, better privacy, longer battery life.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/microg-unofficial-installer-t3432360

The easiest way to configure this may be
    1) Xposed framework
    2) FakeGApps
    3) microg unofficial installer

Enjoy Happy Hacking
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 9th Feb 18, 8:20 AM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 708 Thanks
    wongataa
    What's wrong with just muting the phone if you don't want to be disturbed?
    • J B
    • By J B 9th Feb 18, 9:32 AM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    J B
    What's wrong with just muting the phone if you don't want to be disturbed?
    Simpler to just switch it off IMHO
    And a reboot never did any harm ... did it?
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 9th Feb 18, 9:59 AM
    • 1,241 Posts
    • 708 Thanks
    wongataa
    Simpler to just switch it off IMHO
    And a reboot never did any harm ... did it?
    Originally posted by J B
    Rebooting doesn't do any harm but it is a lot lot quicker to mute and un-mute.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 9th Feb 18, 10:01 AM
    • 7,910 Posts
    • 5,674 Thanks
    esuhl
    I have used below.

Boot manager (xposed module)

https://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/modules/app-bootmanager-t2432359

You will need to install Xposed framework first.
    Originally posted by toshi
    Thanks. Actually it looks like the Privacy Manager in LineageOS does what I want -- there are options to disable "start on boot" and "run in background".

Extra (radical!) option:
    MicroG : lightweight Open-source alternative to Google Play services : https://microg.org/

This is not so straightforward, but for Lineage user, install MicroG instead of Gapps. Run faster, better privacy, longer battery life.
    Originally posted by toshi
    It looks interesting, although I'm currently using GApps Pico (which just includes Google Play, and some basic framework services), so... would there really be much difference...?

There's also a warning that MicroG is alpha-grade software and that there are quite a few bugs remaining. :-/

Have you used it yourself?
    • toshi
    • By toshi 9th Feb 18, 4:04 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    toshi
    It looks interesting, although I'm currently using GApps Pico (which just includes Google Play, and some basic framework services), so... would there really be much difference...?
    Yes, it is interesting for you but If you are happy with Gapp, then you don’t need to use it (as an Extra)

(Edit)
    Essentially microG is for people who do need (want) to integrate their Smartphone with Google Account services.
    Essentially microG is for people who do not need (want) to integrate their Smartphone with Google Account services.
    (Edit ends)

I personally don’t need Google account, Google searchbar, voice assistance etc, but I love still some of Google Apps such as Google Map. Then microG is the solution.

Yes, microG memory usage is much smaller than Google Play services, this would be an advantage for older devices as well. (I have got a Galaxy S from my friend. I would like to play with it )

There's also a warning that MicroG is alpha-grade software and that there are quite a few bugs remaining. :-/

Have you used it yourself?
    Yes, I have been using microG environment more than 1 year, I actually recently updated from the original microG old version to the latest “unstable version” via the above unofficial installer. The latest “unstable version” is better compatibility and more stable than the old version.

This is the Free and Open-source replacement of propriety Google services, therefore it will remain as "unstable", I suppose.

P.S. I also turned off my Smartphone night (with various reasons!) and the alarm setting wakes my smartphone and myself up in the morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm69ik_Qdb8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4XKNeOtzl4
    Last edited by toshi; 09-02-2018 at 6:16 PM. Reason: added "not" !!!
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 9th Feb 18, 4:16 PM
    • 3,287 Posts
    • 2,402 Thanks
    AndyPix

It depends on the developers intentions and obviously the purpose of the app ..

For example, if some functionallity of the app needs to be started by an event - or trigger - then the monitor for that event or trigger has to be loaded and running or it will never happen.

Obviously, for apps that you only need to interact with when they are running, and dont rely on information that can happen when they are not running - then there is no reason for them to have autostart ..

But something like whattsapp, for example, needs to sit there and "listen" for incoming messages - so it will start on boot and run a service that polls a certain url every second or so ...
    Running with scissors since 1978
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,417Posts Today

7,255Users online

Martin's Twitter