Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Starman16
    • By Starman16 8th Feb 18, 12:12 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Starman16
    DWP Witness Statement
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:12 AM
    DWP Witness Statement 8th Feb 18 at 12:12 AM
    Hi, I need advice. Can I withdraw a statement made to the DWP regarding benefit fraud(as a witness)? Are there consequences to this and how do I go about it? Iíve never dealt with the law before. They turned up at my house unannounced and There were no police present when making the statement and I was asked if I would stand in court if needed. Iíve decided to no longer be a part of it and want to withdraw my statement. Thankyou.
Page 1
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 8th Feb 18, 12:17 AM
    • 187 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    Bath cube
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:17 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:17 AM
    Why did you do it then?
    • Starman16
    • By Starman16 8th Feb 18, 5:30 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Starman16
    • 8th Feb 18, 5:30 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 5:30 AM
    I have only asked a question. If your not going to help answer then do not comment. I am sure ur not that stupid to understand I cannot divulge information about a fraud investigation to a random nosey stranger online.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 8th Feb 18, 7:20 AM
    • 16,439 Posts
    • 40,815 Thanks
    FBaby
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:20 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:20 AM
    You were asked if you'd stand in court, not summoned. Unless they do, they can't make you do anything. However, you deciding not to have any further involvement won't stop them taking the case further if they agree with you that fraud was committed.

What you can't do is that everything back and expect them to stop whatever they've started.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 8th Feb 18, 7:55 AM
    • 4,586 Posts
    • 4,848 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:55 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 7:55 AM
    If the case is proceeding to court it's likely that they have more evidence than your statement. You refusing to testifiy may weaken the case, but it would have to be very weak anyway if it couldn't go ahead without you.
    What you should do is inform DWP as soon as possible that you are no longer to attend court as a witness.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

377Posts Today

5,057Users online

Martin's Twitter