Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Labtec81
    • By Labtec81 7th Feb 18, 11:49 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Labtec81
    Neighbour turned off gas supply
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:49 PM
    Neighbour turned off gas supply 7th Feb 18 at 11:49 PM
    My neighbour for the last week minimum has been going into my gas meter box and shutting off my gas supply between 7 and 8.30pm and turning it back on at 6am when he leaves for work!! So at night I've had no hot water or central heating and after exhausting every other thing it might be I finally clicked what's been going on and I was right!! When I opened the box that houses the gas meter and checking what position the handle should be with a neighbours gas meter it was obvious mine had been deliberately turned off.

Funnily enough he'd complained about the boiler vibrating after the heating has been on for a few hours and he said he couldn't get a proper nights sleep, well whenever I heard it usually literally 5 minutes after it started making the vibrating noise I turned the tap on which relieved the pressure and stopped the boiler from vibrating!

But for my neighbour to take it upon himself to turn my gas off is surely against the law? Tampering with someone else's gas supply being the offence?

Had I not had a backup form of heating in the form of an electric fan heater I would have been freezing and 1 of the nights before I got the fan heater I was so cold because the temperature was -4 outside that my skin even changed colour to a purply blue colour, this is due to long term illness which has led to poor circulation.

I have emailed the landlord to broach this subject with my neighbour even though I've no actual proof it was definitely him, but the times it goes off and comes back on all coincide with when my neighbour leaves for work (when the gas supply comes back on) and when he comes home from work it mysteriously turns off between 7pm and 8.30pm, I got picked up by a friend of mine tonight at 8.15pm and as we drove off to go to the supermarket I saw my neighbour clear as day come out of the front door and when I checked the gas meter shortly after I'd got back at around 10pm the gas supply had been turned off!

Does anybody else have any further advice I need to be aware of??
Page 1
    • Fisa002
    • By Fisa002 7th Feb 18, 11:54 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    Fisa002
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:54 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:54 PM
    I suggest you install a small hidden camera and catch him. That!!!8217;s all the proof you would need. Am pretty sure it!!!8217;s illegal what he is doing.
    • stator
    • By stator 7th Feb 18, 11:56 PM
    • 6,021 Posts
    • 3,971 Thanks
    stator
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:56 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:56 PM
    Stick a padlock on the meter box

Tell him to stop
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • Labtec81
    • By Labtec81 8th Feb 18, 12:13 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Labtec81
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:13 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:13 AM
    Stator would I be able to do this? As it would include drilling holes in the side of the meter box at both the front and side of the box, to accommodate a padlock, I just wondered if this was illegal to do as it would then restrict access to the gas supply company as well who wouldn't be able to get access if I wasn't at home should they need to for any reason.

Also drilling the box would cause damage to it and I don't really know who owns the gas meter box as in the gas supplier or whoever.

I'm happy to put a padlock on it of course, just don't want to break any laws while doing so.

And I would tell the neighbour doing it to stop but he's the type of person who'd deny it anyway and just carry on doing it... Also he's said things about me in the past while walking upstairs to his flat like I wouldn't hear him, along the lines of I'm a f*cking cripple which he denied saying to the landlord when confronted by him but soon back tracked when he was told I'd recorded him saying it, even though I actually hadn't.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 8th Feb 18, 12:18 AM
    • 15,858 Posts
    • 40,039 Thanks
    elsien
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:18 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:18 AM
    What's it got to do with the landlord? Why are you expecting them to broach it with the neighbour - it's not their responsibility what your neighbour gets up to.

Might be more effective to ask them to get the boiler looked at if it's vibrating so much it can be heard next door.
    Last edited by elsien; 08-02-2018 at 12:24 AM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Labtec81
    • By Labtec81 8th Feb 18, 12:32 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Labtec81
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:32 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:32 AM
    Well obviously one of his other tenants is interfering with my gas supply!! And of course it's their responsibility to confront my neighbour if he's causing a nuisance by what he's doing!

So ask me again what it's got to do with the landlord, hmm let's see... It's one of HIS tenants interfering with another tenants gas supply, who do you suggest to contact if not the landlord!!

Clearly the landlord should get involved, if I were a landlord I'd want to know if I had multiple tenants if one of them was causing a nuisance to another of my tenants! And obviously the landlord has the power to do something about it, even just having a word with him might stop it from happening again.

And the boiler is being looked at BUT the fact it vibrates does NOT give my neighbour the right to turn off my gas supply!!!!
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 8th Feb 18, 12:57 AM
    • 5,124 Posts
    • 7,193 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:57 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:57 AM
    I agree that the only thing you can do is lock the box the meter is in. Its the same as having a meter behind a locked front door, the meter guy wouldn't be able to access it without you being there.

But perhaps you could leave the padlock off if you know when the meter needs looking at, just for that one day. Or phone and see if you can get an appointment for meter reading. or give a key to a trustworthy neighbour with instructions to only give it to someone official.

But I am afraid there is no 'of course' in this instance with what a LL has to do. He doesn't 'have to' chastise another tenant in a case like this. Sorry. All you can do is obtain evidence and see if the police will chase it up. No guarantees there I'm afraid with murders, robberies, car crashes etc going on much as what your neighbour may be doing is interfering with your gas supply and creating a situation for you.
    Last edited by deannatrois; 08-02-2018 at 1:00 AM.
    • AFF8879
    • By AFF8879 8th Feb 18, 1:07 AM
    • 280 Posts
    • 722 Thanks
    AFF8879
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:07 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:07 AM
    I'd probably be more concerned about the state of the boiler if it's vibrating so much that it causes a neighbouring flat in your block to complain. Not so much for their benefit, more my own safety!
    • Labtec81
    • By Labtec81 8th Feb 18, 1:46 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Labtec81
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:46 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:46 AM
    Thanks for the advice deannatrois, I'll proceed with the padlock and hopefully that will be an end to it.

And AFF8879 I agree with you but the boiler doesn't actually vibrate that loud, I think it's more the pipes with trapped air, I did what others have suggested in the past and bled all the radiators to get rid of any trapped air but very little came out of the radiators at all, it's just that the proximity to my neighbours flat is very close, from door to door you're talking not even 1 metre, so he can hear the slightest noise and vice-versa.

Anyway since I turned the gas back on and restarted the boiler I've had the heating on for the last 4 hours with no noises whatsoever.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 8th Feb 18, 6:25 AM
    • 24,285 Posts
    • 90,966 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Well obviously one of his other tenants is interfering with my gas supply!! And of course it's their responsibility to confront my neighbour if he's causing a nuisance by what he's doing!
    Originally posted by Labtec81
    It might be 'obvious' to you, but as you still have no direct proof at present, it's a little premature to be expecting your landlord to intervene.

Your landlord isn't your parent and you're not a child, so in the first instance it's your responsibility to ascertain who's turning the gas off and then to confront the person doing it.

Depending on the reaction you get, you might then decide inform the police, especially if it keeps happening, because actions like that are harrassment.

You would then tell the landlord for their information, or if you wanted to install some kind of locking device on the box.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 8th Feb 18, 8:03 AM
    • 4,937 Posts
    • 21,830 Thanks
    Slinky
    If you're going to confront the neighbour, I suggest you do record the conversation, even if it's with a phone in a pocket, so you have some record of it.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 8th Feb 18, 8:17 AM
    • 6,820 Posts
    • 6,759 Thanks
    davidmcn
    I just wondered if this was illegal to do as it would then restrict access to the gas supply company as well who wouldn't be able to get access if I wasn't at home should they need to for any reason.

I'm happy to put a padlock on it of course, just don't want to break any laws while doing so.
    The valve for everywhere I've lived has been inside the property, so if they can cope with getting through a locked front door I expect they can handle a padlock.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 8th Feb 18, 8:59 AM
    • 16,429 Posts
    • 14,687 Thanks
    AdrianC
    The valve for everywhere I've lived has been inside the property, so if they can cope with getting through a locked front door I expect they can handle a padlock.
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    That's far from universal - many properties have external meter boxes.

OP - look on the bright side. Now you know what's happening, when your heating goes off next time, you can turn it back on. Then lurk near the meter boxes for a while...

(Or, if you know which one's his, turn that off.)
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 8th Feb 18, 9:07 AM
    • 6,820 Posts
    • 6,759 Thanks
    davidmcn
    That's far from universal - many properties have external meter boxes.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    I know they do, but that doesn't mean it's a big deal for them to encounter a meter/valve they can't easily access. The OP only needs a flimsy padlock to deter the neighbour, assuming the next step isn't bolt-cutters.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 8th Feb 18, 9:12 AM
    • 6,650 Posts
    • 5,421 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Cheeky !!!!!!!!. If the boiler noise is a problem he should speak to you then the landlord. He hasn't got the right to turn your gas off and putting it back on without knowing a gas appliance isn't on which could cause a gas explosion which is potentially lethal.
    Explain the situation to the landlord and ask if you can put a lock on the meter box.

Because of this I would now be as difficult as possible with regards to the noisy boiler.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • paddycharlie
    • By paddycharlie 8th Feb 18, 9:34 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 92 Thanks
    paddycharlie

So ask me again what it's got to do with the landlord, hmm let's see... It's one of HIS tenants interfering with another tenants gas supply, who do you suggest to contact if not the landlord!!

Clearly the landlord should get involved, if I were a landlord I'd want to know if I had multiple tenants if one of them was causing a nuisance to another of my tenants! And obviously the landlord has the power to do something about it, even just having a word with him might stop it from happening again.

And the boiler is being looked at BUT the fact it vibrates does NOT give my neighbour the right to turn off my gas supply!!!!

Well it would have helped if you had stated that he was also a tenant of your LL.

But even though the LL owns both properties the LL has no responsibility to confront the neighbour about it if the LL doesn't want to get involved.

It is a dispute between neighbours not a problem within the property that you are complaining to the LL about. You probably should have tried to resolve it with your neighbour first before escalating it to your LL. Now you have gave your neighbour more of a reason to be a nuisance to you
    • Alfrescodave
    • By Alfrescodave 8th Feb 18, 9:40 AM
    • 541 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    Alfrescodave
    I would try the subtle approach first - big stick later and say to neighbour that someone has been switching your gas supply off and has he experienced a similar problem?
    Also that if it continues you will be contacting the police as it is a criminal offence /H&S issue.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 8th Feb 18, 9:41 AM
    • 670 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    Margot123
    I'd have thought your neighbour's actions were deemed 'anti social'. Your landlord has a duty to inform their tenant of this and take remedial action if necessary.

Not only that, the gas supply has been interfered with other than for reasons of an emergency.

OP don't start messing with the box yourself, that might be criminal damage if you start drilling holes etc, and putting locks on it to impede the supply. You'd be as bad as them!
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 8th Feb 18, 9:42 AM
    • 206 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    need an answer
    When is your next gas safety check due?

I would be inclined to write to the LL to say you have been having intermittent problems with the boiler and gas feeds to the property.
    Detail the times that the gas is off and advise the LL of the issue at least with a view to ensuring that these issues are addressed.

At this point I would not be inclined to point the finger directly at the other tenant as I agree with others that it is not the LL's responsibility to deal with "personal and personality "issues between the pair of you as neighbours,however it is the LL's responsibility to provide you with the ability to use gas within your property at your choosing.

You could also mention that on occaision it appears that the lever to control the gas supply is "slipping " to the off position and therefore to eliminate any foul play by others perhaps the LL would either arrange to fit a padlock or combination lock to the meter cupboard or allow you permission to do so.
    Last edited by need an answer; 08-02-2018 at 9:46 AM.
    in S 11 T 8 F 16
    out S 14 T 3 F 14

2017 -32

2018 Wombling entrant No: 5 £53.44
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 8th Feb 18, 9:43 AM
    • 30,145 Posts
    • 56,644 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    Why don't you just turn it on again instead of freezing?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

171Posts Today

1,624Users online

Martin's Twitter