Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Feb 18, 11:14 PM
    • 14,839Posts
    • 41,027Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Cataract treatment - can it really be true?
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:14 PM
    Cataract treatment - can it really be true? 7th Feb 18 at 11:14 PM
    A friend of mine that also moved to Wales recently has been told (via an optician locally - not word of mouth from someone-in-the-street) that she will be made to wait one YEAR between the first eye being done and the second one being done.

The optician said the reason is the powers-that-be in the Welsh NHS are refusing to take on people for those jobs if they don't speak Welsh and the posts are being left vacant!!!!!!!!!

I've heard of someone other than the best person for the job being taken on. I've heard of the best person for the job being taken on and made to agree they will learn Welsh (in, say, 2 years).

I've not heard the situation is as best as refusing to take on anyone suitable for these jobs if they can't find a Welsh speaker and then imposing a year wait on patients because of the resultant lack of staff (instead of the normal 3? months wait between eyes).

Is that really true? - though I know it is an optician that said it ....so one must assume it is the truth.

Has anyone any evidence of these posts being left unfilled for this "reason"?

Has anyone been made to wait for more than 3 months to get their second eye done?
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 07-02-2018 at 11:17 PM.
    NOT dancing to anyone else's tune.

It's the 21st century now....
Page 2
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 8th Feb 18, 7:15 PM
    • 8,788 Posts
    • 5,224 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Their is no reason she can't drive when one eye has been done as long as she mights the visual standards. Assuming only a private car you only need one eye.
    Originally posted by kirtondm

Quite true. A former neighbour lost the sight of one eye after an accident and was allowed to drive his own car, but lost his HGV licence.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 8th Feb 18, 7:16 PM
    • 2,335 Posts
    • 6,437 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    99 yo with dementia and bed bound? The rationale was they could enjoy watching television with improved vision.
    Originally posted by wondercollie
    Sounds like a perfectly good reason to me, can't see why anybody would be opposed to improving somebody's quality of life a little bit when it was so restricted already.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 8th Feb 18, 7:19 PM
    • 2,335 Posts
    • 6,437 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    This sounds a policy which could be viewed as racist.

Asian and African medics are unlikely to speak Welsh, so you are restricting the job opportunities to white people only.
    Originally posted by Beenie
    If you want to work in the NHS at all, there is a requirement to speak English to a certain standard. It makes sense to extend this to Welsh wherever possible in an area where Welsh is an official language of equal standing and is the first language for lots of people.

The OP has moved to Wales but for some reason seems to hate everything about the country including the Welsh people and the fact that they have the temerity to speak a language that she doesn't understand! Her posts in the housing board about the issue make that clear.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th Feb 18, 8:30 PM
    • 14,839 Posts
    • 41,027 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    It would be so nice not to be wilfully mis-interpreted sometimes...... It would be highly illogical to be against someone that is the same nationality as myself I feel (ie as British as I am). It would make no more sense to me (as a Westcountry person) than having illogical feelings about someone from the next county over to myself. Devon, Dorset, Cornwall, Somerset - is all the same in my mind. I regard Britain in exactly the same way - as in it would be totally illogical to have any opinions whatsoever about someone from a different part of my country to myself.

What I hate is discrimination (of any type). Always have - whatever part of our country I live in....
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 08-02-2018 at 8:37 PM.

• Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 8th Feb 18, 8:52 PM
    • 2,335 Posts
    • 6,437 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Wales is a country though, our nation is a union made up of little ones. I!!!8217;m not sure why that bothers you so much!
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th Feb 18, 9:34 PM
    • 14,839 Posts
    • 41,027 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    It doesn't bother me. I'm aware some people regard Wales as separate country. Others of us regard the whole country as "our country" and don't draw such distinctions. Some of this may be down to having spent many years with our whole country being regarded/treated as one country basically - before all sorts of "splintering" started up - and many of us take no account of the "splintering" that's happened in latter years. There's some going on in Spain. Some going on in France. In pretty much everyone's books - we still think of Spain as Spain and with one language (ie Spanish) and France as France and with one language (ie French) and so regard Britain as one country in exactly the same light.

We're all entitled to our personal opinions on that matter. We're told Britain is a free country...

• Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 8th Feb 18, 9:58 PM
    • 2,335 Posts
    • 6,437 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    We are all entitled to our own opinions, we are not entitled to our own facts.

Wales is a country, categorically.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countries_of_the_United_Kingdom

Spain and France both have several languages too. They don't not exist because you don't like that fact!
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 9th Feb 18, 5:40 AM
    • 6,401 Posts
    • 11,539 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    Wales, Scotland and Ireland are definitely countries. Its attitudes like the OPs that fan independence referendums and !!!8220;them and us!!!8221; attitudes. I mean how can you live in Wales and not even acknowledge that its a country with its own language? Youre exactly like the English people who move up here and complain that you dont understand what anyone is saying or moan that no one supports England in the football, well why the hell would we?
    Last edited by GlasweJen; 09-02-2018 at 1:54 PM. Reason: Removing apostrophes
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 9th Feb 18, 6:24 AM
    • 6,029 Posts
    • 11,223 Thanks
    GwylimT
    It doesn't bother me. I'm aware some people regard Wales as separate country. Others of us regard the whole country as "our country" and don't draw such distinctions. Some of this may be down to having spent many years with our whole country being regarded/treated as one country basically - before all sorts of "splintering" started up - and many of us take no account of the "splintering" that's happened in latter years. There's some going on in Spain. Some going on in France. In pretty much everyone's books - we still think of Spain as Spain and with one language (ie Spanish) and France as France and with one language (ie French) and so regard Britain as one country in exactly the same light.

We're all entitled to our personal opinions on that matter. We're told Britain is a free country...
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    France and Spain have more than one language.

France and Spain are individual countries, unlike the UK which is made up of four different countries. Splintering? If you think that is the case I assume you must have been around in 1057?!

I've never been told Britain isn't a free country, after all it isn't a country.
    • hunters
    • By hunters 9th Feb 18, 9:14 AM
    • 757 Posts
    • 2,133 Thanks
    hunters
    Will be interesting to see these none countries when they compete in the Commonwealth Games in Oz or indeed the 6 Nations Rugby.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 9th Feb 18, 9:24 AM
    • 23,444 Posts
    • 60,975 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Wales, Scotland and Ireland are definitely countries. It!!!8217;s attitudes like the OPs that fan independence referendums and !!!8220;them and us!!!8221; attitudes. I mean how can you live in Wales and not even acknowledge that it!!!8217;s a country with its own language? You!!!8217;re exactly like the English people who move up here and complain that you don!!!8217;t understand what anyone is saying or moan that no one supports England in the football, well why the hell would we?
    Originally posted by GlasweJen

Well said, Jen!

Money can!!!8217;t see that her attitude is seen as patronising and dismissive by we Welsh. Her location says it all.

The three examples she gives in her OP are ludicrous, especially the sacked teacher - who probably had the boot for incompetence or something.

There!!!8217;s also a thread that has become anti-Welsh thread on DT. Someone thinks he can call us 'natives'.
    Last edited by pollypenny; 09-02-2018 at 1:43 PM.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • stoozie1
    • By stoozie1 9th Feb 18, 1:28 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 350 Thanks
    stoozie1
    Whilst I obviously feel sorry for the friend waiting between the 2 operations, I think that the ideology of preserving NHS Wales jobs in certain areas for Welsh-speaking staff is very important politically.

As a migrant myself into Wales, and a dysgwraig at present, I understand that the Government pledge to see one million Welsh-speakers by 2050 can only be achieved if all areas of politically shaped life support it. Such as a massive employer like the NHS ring-fencing jobs for Welsh-speakers.
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 9th Feb 18, 1:36 PM
    • 4,089 Posts
    • 3,725 Thanks
    brook2jack
    Except jobs are not ringfenced for Welsh speakers. It is difficult enough to recruit young practitioners to Wales and always has been.

Many places in North Wales are not well served by public transport etc, and are isolated .

Dentists have to be registered in the Welsh system so it involves alot of bureaucracy to get a job.

There is only one medical/dental school and thats in Cardiff. Young graduates famously tend to work close to where they graduate.

The pay,conditions are worse than in England.

If there was a blanket requirement to speak Welsh then you would hardly recruit any medical staff.Indeed in many areas there are many more languages it would be useful to speak.

Welsh language aspirations have nothing to do with the health crisis in Wales. It is money pure and simple.
    • stoozie1
    • By stoozie1 9th Feb 18, 1:39 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 350 Thanks
    stoozie1
    No, I know there isn't a ring-fencing policy my husband is a non Welsh-speaking Dentist working for NHS Wales!

I just mean one role having Welsh as an essential criteria, if that is the case here, would be understandable, politically, from my POV.
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Feb 18, 7:55 AM
    • 14,839 Posts
    • 41,027 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Fingers crossed all round that it's only logical reasons that are causing these shortages of staff then - and not a "You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs (ie breaking people)" reasons.

EDIT; Had to look it up - but translation of dysgwraig = learner.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 10-02-2018 at 8:06 AM.

• pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 10th Feb 18, 8:47 AM
    • 23,444 Posts
    • 60,975 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Fingers crossed all round that it's only logical reasons that are causing these shortages of staff then - and not a "You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs (ie breaking people)" reasons.

EDIT; Had to look it up - but translation of dysgwraig = learner.

I thought you were learning Welsh, money.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 10th Feb 18, 10:17 AM
    • 1,693 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    My MIL had cataract surgery on the NHS about 6 months ago. It was made clear to her, even before the surgery, that they will only do one eye. Ever.

It's to do with money, or the lack of it, in the NHS, and it's the usual postcode lottery. I am not in Wales so it's nothing to do with language/finding staff either. Or age. I know others in their early 60's (so not exactly 'old') who had the same experience. Apparently they think one eye is all you need.

Very little surprises me with the NHS but I have to admit, this one did.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Feb 18, 11:09 AM
    • 14,839 Posts
    • 41,027 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I thought you were learning Welsh, money.
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    I was originally - until I started having people telling me about jobs refused/training refused/jobs they were kicked out of because of the language and I do not approve of that. I also sympathise with how little money there is for things sometimes - so I hate seeing any of it spent to allow for personal preferences and want it to go on things we all need.

I also started counting how many versions of Welsh there are - I thought there was "two in the process of becoming one". When I got to about 16 different versions and finding I seemed to be expected to learn 3 of them (North Welsh, South Welsh, local version) there was also an element of "Blow this for a lark - I was only prepared to learn one language - not three".

I only know a few words of my own dialect - from back along maid, and I speak standard English/what I gather is probably "received pronunciation". Makes life much easier for everyone to understand me..
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 10-02-2018 at 11:12 AM.

• By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Feb 18, 11:15 AM
    • 14,839 Posts
    • 41,027 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    My MIL had cataract surgery on the NHS about 6 months ago. It was made clear to her, even before the surgery, that they will only do one eye. Ever.

It's to do with money, or the lack of it, in the NHS, and it's the usual postcode lottery. I am not in Wales so it's nothing to do with language/finding staff either. Or age. I know others in their early 60's (so not exactly 'old') who had the same experience. Apparently they think one eye is all you need.

Very little surprises me with the NHS but I have to admit, this one did.
    Originally posted by ripplyuk
    My parents had to have both eyes done and there was a (think it was short-lived??) attempt to lie to my mother and tell her she "didnt need the second eye done after all". At which point my quiet little mother got informed by me in no uncertain terms that they were lying to her and she had the proof they'd told her the second one needed doing too. Followed by telling her that she had two choices: either fight them or pay. Lying down and accepting it was not an option on the table. She fought. She won

• Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 10th Feb 18, 11:46 AM
    • 2,335 Posts
    • 6,437 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    I was originally
    Those are some of the maddest excuses I've ever heard for not bothering to learn the language of the country you've settled in.

You just didn't want to, did you? Be honest!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,350Posts Today

9,267Users online

Martin's Twitter