Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • economic
    • By economic 7th Feb 18, 10:23 PM
    • 2,676Posts
    • 1,421Thanks
    economic
    HDD or SSD for backup purposes?
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:23 PM
    HDD or SSD for backup purposes? 7th Feb 18 at 10:23 PM
    Hi

In terms of reliability/longevity, which is superior for backups, a hard disk drive or a solid state drive?

Ignoring price and data capacity etc. Just purely based on how long the drive lasts before breaking down, failure etc Given it will be used as a regular (every month) backup, which would be least likely to cause any sort of problem?

Also any brand/model that anyone recommends?

thanks
Page 2
    • economic
    • By economic 8th Feb 18, 10:02 PM
    • 2,676 Posts
    • 1,421 Thanks
    economic
    Murphy's Law dictates that if anything can go wrong it will go wrong. Therefore as I said previously you need to back things up regularly and separately from the computer - if you have a break in for example and the computer gets nicked, if your backup drive is next to it it'll probably end up in the burglar's swag bag too.

Take it out and put it in a caddy, like this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/CiT-3-5-inch-SATA-Enclosure/dp/B00647A4KY

Note that you won't be able to boot from the HDD while its in a caddy.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    Thanks.

So my plan is:
    Apart from the original data in the actual PC, i will have two backups, 1 would be a HDD backup and the other a pen drive backup. I will leave one of them at my parents place. I will also backup every few weeks on both the mediums. Does this seem sensible to you?

For the caddy - so i will be able to replace my existing HDD with an internal SSD that i will buy, and use a caddy to enclose the HDD so i can use it externally via USB? Could there be any issues with this, easily damaged, more prone to failure etc?
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 8th Feb 18, 11:17 PM
    • 1,139 Posts
    • 642 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    Oh yeah regarding pen drives I probably should have said this earlier: Do not depend on them for long term data storage - they are cheap for a reason and that reason is they break easily. They're fine for taking stuff to and from home/work and for temporary storage - ie you can afford to lose what's on them.

Re Caddy - yes to answer your first question and to the second question, it would be the same as when you buy standalone external drives already - the only difference is you can swap the drive out for a bigger one later whereas with one you buy ready made you can't do that. Its no more reliable or unreliable than any other way of doing it. Mine's lasted 14 years. But it isn't plugged in very often.
    • bsod
    • By bsod 8th Feb 18, 11:45 PM
    • 1,222 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    bsod
    they are cheap because there's hardly anything in them, and it's the value the marketplace places on them, nothing to do with longevity. I've never had one fail, or a hdd for that matter, but they both can (often due to user error in the case of flash)

The chances of the original, the primary backup, and further backups failing, all at the same time, when they are refreshed and checked monthly, are minute - if you are still worried, throw another hdd into the cycle.

A greater risk probably, is not backing up properly in the first place, or attaching everything in the middle of a virus outbreak
    Last edited by bsod; 09-02-2018 at 12:06 AM.
    Don't you dare criticise what you cannot understand
    • economic
    • By economic 9th Feb 18, 12:17 AM
    • 2,676 Posts
    • 1,421 Thanks
    economic
    they are cheap because there's hardly anything in them, and it's the value the marketplace places on them, nothing to do with longevity. I've never had one fail, or a hdd for that matter, but they both can (often due to user error in the case of flash)

The chances of the original, the primary backup, and further backups failing, all at the same time, when they are refreshed and checked monthly, are minute - if you are still worried, throw another hdd into the cycle.

A greater risk probably, is not backing up properly in the first place, or attaching everything in the middle of a virus outbreak
    Originally posted by bsod
    cool thanks so i will go with my plan of original, backup1: HDD in a caddy, backup2: pen drive
    • Oblivion
    • By Oblivion 9th Feb 18, 11:23 AM
    • 19,217 Posts
    • 58,355 Thanks
    Oblivion
    My favourite backup media has always been the Western Digital 'My Passport' USB hard drives. Lovely and small and in my experience incredibly reliable. I have several of them and use them in rotation.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LQQHI8I/ref=sr_ob_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1518174931&sr=8-7
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 12th year of leisure

I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Bring me sunshine in your smile
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,833Posts Today

9,107Users online

Martin's Twitter