Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • arrgee
    • By arrgee 7th Feb 18, 10:14 PM
    • 26Posts
    • 9Thanks
    arrgee
    Can't transfer out ISA due to failed eID&V
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:14 PM
    Can't transfer out ISA due to failed eID&V 7th Feb 18 at 10:14 PM
    I put some money into an ISA many years ago. A fortnight I decided to change providers from Janus Henderson to Hargreaves Lansdowne so sold the Unit trusts and requested the transfer. Two weeks later I have failed eID&V and now have to send them Certified copies of my Passport and Driving Licence/Tax coding. The list of persons who can certify are people I would never encounter in my life (Police Officers, Solicitors, Notaries, Army Officers etc,) except my GP who I can't imagine would want to waste her time on it.

What I don't understand is how I could possibly fail eID&V. Home owner, not moved house for nearly 20 years, born in UK, UK passport, NHS record, EHIC card, registered keeper of a car, full DVLA licence, NI number, electoral roll, mortgage, loan, bank accounts, credit cards, married, kids etc. You name it I probably have it and it can be traced online pretty easily. Pretty obvious I exist and no one else in the house has same first name or initials.

Why can't I be identified by Janus Henderson with all this to go on?

Janus Henderson have had my ISA for years and never raised the matter. Hargreaves Lansdown haven't asked for any ID so I assume I pass with them.

eID&V - electronic identification and verification
    Last edited by arrgee; 07-02-2018 at 10:27 PM. Reason: adding some info on new provider
Page 1
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 7th Feb 18, 10:25 PM
    • 3,896 Posts
    • 4,752 Thanks
    ColdIron
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:25 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:25 PM
    except my GP who I can't imagine would want to waste her time on it.
    Originally posted by arrgee
    My GP was only too happy to do it as she charged me £33
    • arrgee
    • By arrgee 7th Feb 18, 10:29 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    arrgee
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:29 PM
    mmm, I think Janus Henderson don't bother with the expense of the ID&V and are just passing the cost on
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 7th Feb 18, 10:29 PM
    • 1,670 Posts
    • 1,136 Thanks
    Alexland
    I have had similar problems this week trying to prove my identity to NatWest.

I have sent them quality passport scans & photos, driving license details, scans and photos, debit card details and multiple bank account details - nothing seems to be good enough for them.

I am going into a NatWest branch at the weekend with my passport and driving license to present myself for their examination.

They were a lot nicer to my wife even though her name has changed several times. I think they are torturing me as they know I am only after the £125 switching bonus.

Alex
    Last edited by Alexland; 07-02-2018 at 10:32 PM.
    • fiisch
    • By fiisch 7th Feb 18, 10:54 PM
    • 236 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    fiisch
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:54 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:54 PM
    I have worked with automated "ID & V" checking tools for insurance companies in the past and it is an inexact science. There are a number of things that can trip up the automated check, which vary by provider and how stringent the rule set is, but can include house name; double-barrelled surname; one record of many having a mismatched DOB (e.g.: one day out).

Can also be due to a historic marker at the address - e.g.: CIFAS victim of identity fraud marker (i.e.: if someone at the house has had their identity stolen previously); gone away warnings (if property has been vacant for a period) etc...

Typically, it's a computer says no deal, so if the automated ID&V fail they'll go straight for asking for documentation. Worryingly, these checks are used by insurance companies and have a fundamental impact on the price you're quoted, yet other than signing up to electoral roll and ensuring all your records are up to date, there isn't much you can do to ensure you will satisfy the electronic check...!!
    Save £6k in 2018: £854.88 / £6000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,445Posts Today

7,638Users online

Martin's Twitter