Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • blueye
    • By blueye 7th Feb 18, 9:11 PM
    • 299Posts
    • 78Thanks
    blueye
    advice regarding default needed please
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:11 PM
    advice regarding default needed please 7th Feb 18 at 9:11 PM
    Hi we started a DMP back in 2009 with close to 70k debt, we are around the 15k mark now and looking at having that cleared within 18 months.
    Recently TSB defaulted an overdraft account we had with them (now sold on) as we are approaching the end of the DMP and looking at a possibility of interest hikes we were contemplating trying to fix our mortgage once out of the DMP but now with this default that doesnít look like a possibility.
    We have had a rough ride with TSB over the course of the DMP they have been one massive headache to deal with and our last telephone conversation was basically them saying that after 7 years they wouldnít accept we were with StepChange and the only way we could continue making reduced payments was by setting up an arrangement directly with them and changing our account which would mean being charged £10 per month (our payment is £13) I didnít agree and so they have defaulted the account and sold it on.........on our credit report it states our account was OK every month (in credit and upto date) even though we were obviously in arrears and now obviously defaulted.
    Is there anyway to get this changed to an earlier date? Or removed altogether?
    I understand it is entirely our fault for being in this position but we have at least made an effort to pay back our debts, I feel now we would have been better off just not bothering paying as if we didnít we would have at least been defaulted in the beginning and not now facing another 6 years of bad credit
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 8th Feb 18, 12:08 AM
    • 13,204 Posts
    • 12,628 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:08 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 12:08 AM
    Your approach to this should be a written complaint to the bank first.

They knew you were in financial difficulty, yet continued to ignore your requests to work with the debt charities, this is regarded as unfair treatment.

If you remain unhappy, escalate your complaint to the ICO.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • blueye
    • By blueye 8th Feb 18, 4:21 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    blueye
    • 8th Feb 18, 4:21 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 4:21 PM
    Thank you. I just hope they either make it earlier or remove it altogether, itís been hard enough over the years on the DMP, itís a kick in the teeth getting a default so close to the end!
  • National Debtline
    • 8th Feb 18, 4:36 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 4:36 PM
    Hi blueye

I can understand your frustration in getting a default so close to the end of your DMP. Although a default should usually be registered when you have fallen into 3 to 6 months of arrears, overdrafts are slightly different as monthly arrears do not build up like they do with a credit card.

You can still try and make a complaint that registering a default so far into your DMP is unfair. It is possible TSB will claim the default is marking the breakdown in your relationship, evidenced by them passing the debt on to a debt collection agency. However it's still worth you trying to raise the issue.

As sourcrates says, if you are not happy with their response get in touch with the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO). Good luck with it all.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,941Posts Today

8,880Users online

Martin's Twitter