Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • peadar
    • By peadar 7th Feb 18, 7:57 PM
    • 29Posts
    • 24Thanks
    peadar
    Can I put my credit card in credit?
    • 7th Feb 18, 7:57 PM
    Can I put my credit card in credit? 7th Feb 18 at 7:57 PM
    Halifax Clarity is a good deal for foreign currency.

But it would be an even better deal if we could pay credit into it in advance, so as not to pay the interest charges that apply to cash withdrawals from the day it's withdrawn.

Would this work?
Page 1
    • Edi81
    • By Edi81 7th Feb 18, 8:01 PM
    • 393 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    Edi81
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:01 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:01 PM
    No.
    Please refer to the multiple other threads asking the same question.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 7th Feb 18, 8:20 PM
    • 29,904 Posts
    • 17,777 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:20 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:20 PM
    If you missed the clause prohibiting such pre-loading in your T&Cs, what else did you miss?
    • peadar
    • By peadar 7th Feb 18, 8:30 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    peadar
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:30 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:30 PM
    If you missed the clause prohibiting such pre-loading in your T&Cs, what else did you miss?
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    It just says they may apply credit to any recent transactions not yet shown on my account, or to transactions made after the date my account goes into credit.

Which sounds similar to what I would like to happen?
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 7th Feb 18, 10:05 PM
    • 3,181 Posts
    • 2,153 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:05 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:05 PM
    It just says they may apply credit to any recent transactions not yet shown on my account, or to transactions made after the date my account goes into credit.

Which sounds similar to what I would like to happen?
    Originally posted by peadar
    https://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/help-guidance/terms-and-conditions/clarity-card/:

You must not pay us more than you owe when you make payments to your account, or transfer funds from another credit or store card if this creates a credit balance on your account.
    That's a must, not a should.

We may refuse a payment to your account if:

the payment would create or increase a credit balance on the account;
    You'll usually get away with pre-loading your card and there are accidental ways to do it that don't break the T&Cs.

The biggest danger with pre-loading is that you might find your card blocked while you're abroad.
    • peadar
    • By peadar 8th Feb 18, 9:08 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    peadar
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:08 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:08 AM
    https://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/help-guidance/terms-and-conditions/clarity-card/:

That's a must, not a should.

You'll usually get away with pre-loading your card and there are accidental ways to do it that don't break the T&Cs.

The biggest danger with pre-loading is that you might find your card blocked while you're abroad.
    Originally posted by SnowTiger
    Thanks. I had read the T&C's, and having previously gone into significant credit with no adverse effects, was hoping to learn of people's actual experiences of what they mean in practice: did you have your card blocked? Or did it just get applied to subsequent transactions, like the T&Cs say?
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 8th Feb 18, 10:14 AM
    • 3,154 Posts
    • 1,458 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:14 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:14 AM
    Some people say they do what you suggest all the time, regardless of it violating the T&Cs, but why take the risk of any problems when the interest payable will be zero or miniscule if you pay it off when the withdrawal appears settled on your account, or soon after.

If you search for 'clarity preloading' or similar it should bring up the countless threads where this has been debated at length already.
    • anythingbutordinary
    • By anythingbutordinary 8th Feb 18, 10:33 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    anythingbutordinary
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:33 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:33 AM
    When I have used the card abroad, I have withdrawn the cash and then gone on to the app and viewed the pending transactions and immediately made a payment for the appropriate amount sterling. I've never paid a penny in interest on my foreign cash withdrawals by doing it this way.

Just note that if you haven't paid the previous statement in full yet, the payment will instead go towards that, so when you go, owe nothing on the card from before the current statement period.
    • vacheron
    • By vacheron 8th Feb 18, 10:47 AM
    • 801 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    vacheron
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:47 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 10:47 AM
    I really don't see the need to take the risk for the pitiful amounts of interest involved.

I'll quote myself from a similar thread on this issue a few months back:

As an example I spent 12 days in Greece last month and used my Clarity card for payments and for withdrawing about 400-500 euros from cash machines .

I paid off the balance about 10 days in to the holiday and the second when I came home and all outstanding payments had settled down.

The total interest came to 42 pence. It would have been less had I paid the balance off every couple of days or so, but even I can live with 42p.

Statement Link Here:
    Last edited by vacheron; 08-02-2018 at 10:54 AM.
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
    • Fortyfoot
    • By Fortyfoot 8th Feb 18, 7:37 PM
    • 1,759 Posts
    • 896 Thanks
    Fortyfoot
    I pre load my clarity card all the time, once I asked at the counter and they said "No problem". I do it 4 or 5 times a year and have never had a problem.

Fortyfoot
    • No_6
    • By No_6 8th Feb 18, 9:49 PM
    • 582 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    No_6
    tight ar...s...!
    but if it saves you ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

171Posts Today

1,624Users online

Martin's Twitter