Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Simba-ali34
    • By Simba-ali34 7th Feb 18, 7:34 PM
    • 164Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Simba-ali34
    Flooring construction
    • 7th Feb 18, 7:34 PM
    Flooring construction 7th Feb 18 at 7:34 PM
    Hello,

I have a quick question about floor joists and plasterboard ceilings.... A floorboard was lifted and I noticed the the ceiling below is not connected directly to the joist because I can see the bottom of the I-joist. What other method is used in residential new build to secure ceilings?

Regards
Page 1
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 7th Feb 18, 11:01 PM
    • 2,523 Posts
    • 3,259 Thanks
    ceredigion
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:01 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:01 PM
    Resilient bars
    http://www.british-gypsum.com/products/gypframe-sound-insulating-bars?tab0=0
    • Simba-ali34
    • By Simba-ali34 8th Feb 18, 9:29 AM
    • 164 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Simba-ali34
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:29 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 9:29 AM
    Is this the same kind of thing as "metal stud ceiling"?
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 8th Feb 18, 6:14 PM
    • 2,523 Posts
    • 3,259 Thanks
    ceredigion
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:14 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:14 PM
    No not really. they are used as a sound suppressant system. They are mounted at 90 degrees to the joists and the plaster board is screwed to them. You end up with what is affectively a sprung ceiling so any knocking isn't transmitted directly.
    • Simba-ali34
    • By Simba-ali34 9th Feb 18, 8:09 AM
    • 164 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Simba-ali34
    • 9th Feb 18, 8:09 AM
    • 9th Feb 18, 8:09 AM
    The joist has a piece of metal attached to the side running parallel. Then another piece of metal runs perpendicular between this joist and what looks like another piece of metal. I couldnt see any more due to all the insulation. I believe there is a metal stud wall directly below. I was just confused to not see plasterboard attached to the bottom of the joist.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,125Posts Today

10,036Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I'm a little torn tonight with #mcfc on BBC1, but I will be watching ITV at 8pm!

• Have you set the Betamax? If not just watch @itvMLshow tonight 8pm. On the best way to save for your child (or gran? https://t.co/fFER6xIFpa

• I've been asked a few times if I'd been approached about chairing or being on the independent panel on post 18/stud? https://t.co/LpWASObp9k

• Follow Martin