Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 7th Feb 18, 5:36 PM
    • 3,030Posts
    • 11,861Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Jack Nicklaus 5 pound note
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:36 PM
    Jack Nicklaus 5 pound note 7th Feb 18 at 5:36 PM
    It won't mean much to all you Sassenachs but i have 6 RBS £5 notes with a picture of Jack Nicklaus on and I'm wondering if I should continue to keep a hold of them.

They are in used but good condition but with even the mint ones on ebay are slow to shift I am doubting if they will rise in value during my lifetime as I had originally hoped

I was reminded that I had them today on reading that paper money will no longer be accepted by shops and I would need to take them to the bank to cash them.

I also have 4 RBS £1 notes in my collection
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 78.7
    Total so far - 530.8
Page 1
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 7th Feb 18, 7:58 PM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 3,282 Thanks
    ceredigion
    • 7th Feb 18, 7:58 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 7:58 PM
    Wrap notes around a golf ball and play a round, then sell as conceptual art.
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 7th Feb 18, 8:22 PM
    • 2,321 Posts
    • 4,224 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:22 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:22 PM
    When i was on the Cabs i hated it when someone wanted to pay with Scottish notes. I know they maybe legal tender, but there are so many of them, different designs and colours, they could have been giving me money from a Monopoly box and i wouldn't have known.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 7th Feb 18, 8:24 PM
    • 3,030 Posts
    • 11,861 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:24 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:24 PM
    When i was on the Cabs i hated it when someone wanted to pay with Scottish notes. I know they maybe legal tender, but there are so many of them, different designs and colours, they could have been giving me money from a Monopoly box and i wouldn't have known.
    Originally posted by SamsReturn
    I was a pools collecter for a while and I hated getting English notes for the same reason, there was also the added danger of a forged English note which never seemed to happen with the Scottish notes.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 78.7
    Total so far - 530.8
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 7th Feb 18, 8:30 PM
    • 22,673 Posts
    • 56,534 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:30 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:30 PM
    I was reminded that I had them today on reading that paper money will no longer be accepted by shops and I would need to take them to the bank to cash them.
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    ????
    Or do you mean, as opposed to the super-bouncy non-folding plastic notes that have been introduced?

The £1 notes were always handy to put in an envelope for the Oban Times "Spot the Shinty" (spot-the-ball) entries
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real in 2018

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,657Posts Today

9,678Users online

Martin's Twitter