Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JennyP
    • By JennyP 7th Feb 18, 5:23 PM
    • 773Posts
    • 448Thanks
    JennyP
    Buying a house with solar panels
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:23 PM
    Buying a house with solar panels 7th Feb 18 at 5:23 PM
    We're buying a house that has solar panels on the roof generating a few hundred a year.
    (Another thread about this was really helpful and we have asked our vendor about the right forms!)

Does anyone know: the vendor uses ecotricity for the electric supply. Are we tied to them because of the panels? Or can we switch to another company? Can it be any company or do only some of them have arrangements with solar panels? I like Avro Energy as they have been good in the past. I have emailed them too to see what the position is.
Page 1
    • hammy1988
    • By hammy1988 7th Feb 18, 5:59 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 65 Thanks
    hammy1988
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:59 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:59 PM
    This should be covered during the conveyancing period. Make sure you solicitor looks into this and the vendors have all the relevant paperwork and contracts.

My in-laws purchased a house with solar panels, they were tied into the original contract with the company that put them on that was something like 25 years that can be passed on to new house buyers. I'm guessing there may be a similar clause but definitely worth investigating during the purchase process.
    • sleepymans
    • By sleepymans 7th Feb 18, 6:59 PM
    • 667 Posts
    • 998 Thanks
    sleepymans
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:59 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:59 PM
    FIT contracts entered into some years ago would likely be very very profitable........just make sure you, as the new property owners, are legally entitled to the FIT payments once the house has become yours. Get your solicitors written opinion and read the small print.
    Goddess
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 7th Feb 18, 7:20 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    Mnd
    • 7th Feb 18, 7:20 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 7:20 PM
    When you are sorted you can use any electric company for your power, you don't have to use the same company for your FIT payment
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 7th Feb 18, 8:48 PM
    • 641 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    ProDave
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:48 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:48 PM
    It's only the big 6 that do the FIT, Ours was with SSE, and it stayed there when switching electricity suppliers.

Make sure your solicitor correctly complete the process of assigning the remainder of the FIT contract to your name.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 7th Feb 18, 9:24 PM
    • 930 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    sevenhills
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:24 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 9:24 PM
    It's only the big 6 that do the FIT, Ours was with SSE, and it stayed there when switching electricity suppliers.

Make sure your solicitor correctly complete the process of assigning the remainder of the FIT contract to your name.
    Originally posted by ProDave
    I am with Good Energy, I understand the FIT payment is the same, which ever company you use. Maybe some just give you the money quicker.
    I am thinking 8 panels save me £200 per year, and I should get between £300-£500 in the bank.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,275Posts Today

7,300Users online

Martin's Twitter