Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mrsteryiaki
    • By mrsteryiaki 7th Feb 18, 5:12 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mrsteryiaki
    POPLA code expired - advice welcome
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:12 PM
    POPLA code expired - advice welcome 7th Feb 18 at 5:12 PM
    Hi,

I am seeking advice on how to move forward from a PCN from Smart Parking. The POPLA code was originally issued December 28th but no longer works.

What is the best thing to do from here?

I originally appealed because I thought it was a PCN from my work car park (which I had not long before successfully registered the vehicle as exempt). Turns out it was from somewhere else - silly me.

In my second appeal, I requested a copy of the contract between Smark Parking Ltd and the car park owner. To which they replied with their 'commercially sensitive and is therefore exempt' spiel.

I am aware that I have not handled the situation ideally, even after reading the Newbie thread.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 7th Feb 18, 5:19 PM
    • 5,706 Posts
    • 4,426 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:19 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:19 PM
    You could've killed this at PoPLA.

You will now have to wait up to six years to see if Smart decide to take court action.

Meanwhile, as you read in the Newbie thread, ignore all debt collector's letters and post back on this thread if you ever get a Letter of Claim or official court paperwork.

If you change address in that six years you must inform Smart of your new address or risk them obtaining a County Court Judgement without you having the opportunity to defend yourself.

Keep all paperwork.
    Last edited by KeithP; 07-02-2018 at 5:24 PM.
    • mrsteryiaki
    • By mrsteryiaki 7th Feb 18, 5:45 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mrsteryiaki
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:45 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:45 PM
    Thank you, Keith.

I assume it is pointless responding to SP?
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 7th Feb 18, 5:46 PM
    • 5,706 Posts
    • 4,426 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:46 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:46 PM
    I assume it is pointless responding to SP?
    Originally posted by mrsteryiaki
    Yes. Pointless.

Meanwhile, see what you are up against:

Smart haven't been prolific litigants, but judging by this year's figures so far, it looks like that may be changing.
    Last edited by KeithP; 07-02-2018 at 6:10 PM.
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 7th Feb 18, 6:39 PM
    • 40,946 Posts
    • 81,735 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:39 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:39 PM
    Bear in mind that the Alternative Dispute Resolution Act (ADR) 2015 states that ADR must be made available for not less than one year.

Complain to your MP and the landowner that your rights as dictated by the UK Government are being denied.

You could also point this out to PoPLA and the BPA.

Have a read in the NEWBIES what MPs said in parliament last Friday about this unregulated business, especially the bit that says The BPA are as much use as a multi-storey car park in the Gobi desert, and ask them (the BPA) what they are doing to rectify this with the Government and the motoring public. Allowing an independent appeal as prescribed by the ADR Act must be high on the list of improvements they must make or else they will be out of business soon.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 7th Feb 18, 7:01 PM
    • 8,228 Posts
    • 7,547 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 7th Feb 18, 7:01 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 7:01 PM
    Gladstones are scammers, an MP said so in the House last week He has reported them to the SRA who, hopefully, wiill not ignore his representations as they did mine.

Watch this

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and then write a robust letter of complaint to your MP.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 7th Feb 18, 8:14 PM
    • 54,103 Posts
    • 67,768 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:14 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:14 PM
    No-one here pays Smart parking any money, so I hope that's not even at the back of your mind!
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

760Posts Today

7,063Users online

Martin's Twitter