Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dnb1
    • By dnb1 7th Feb 18, 4:58 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    dnb1
    Car Insurance - claim - advice please?
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:58 PM
    Car Insurance - claim - advice please? 7th Feb 18 at 4:58 PM
    Hello
    This is my first post on a forum of this nature so I hope it's in the right place and in the right style. Forgive the length!
    I'm hoping for information and possibly advice.
    I was an innocent victim of a road accident,noone was hurt but my car was swiped at an angle across the front and suffered severe damage - the front bumper pulled off forwards, both wings & bonnet and lights damaged and a cross member ripped partly off. My insurance company, through their claims management business has arranged repair and hire care for the duration etc

My questions are:
    1 - can I expect a detailed description of all work carried out and parts replaced as part of the repair?
    2 - can I expect all filament bulbs (headlights) to be replaced as impact is known to shorten their life?
    3 - can I expect that wiring will have been checked as it was yanked forward in the impact?
    4 - can I have the repair independently inspected at the 3rd party's cost?
    5 - can I expect some cash compensation as my nice previously faultless 18-month old car is now accident repaired? WHen I lived abroad years ago and was hit from behind at traffic lights this was automatic as part of the process
    6 - Who do I approach for the last two questions. I don't have legal on my motor insurance
    7 - I have protected NCD but worried this crash will bump up my premium next year - how can I avoid this?

Thanks for your patience reading this and hope for some positive suggestions :-)
    Nigel
Page 1
    • Ionkontrol
    • By Ionkontrol 7th Feb 18, 5:42 PM
    • 779 Posts
    • 443 Thanks
    Ionkontrol
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:42 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:42 PM
    Who is repairing the vehicle? Is it one of the insurance company's approved body shops? If yes, then it will be a no to most your questions.

Your best bet is to find a body shop YOU know are good or is recommended to you by someone who has had work done there.

That way you will get answers to your questions.
    Never use insurance company's recommended body shops is my advice.
    • dnb1
    • By dnb1 7th Feb 18, 6:07 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dnb1
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:07 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:07 PM
    Thanks, Ionkontrol, My insurer arranged the repair through one of their body shops.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,430Posts Today

8,817Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Happy Birthday Jordon. 21 today. Wish you as good a day as you can, and hope you are out of hospital and on the m? https://t.co/G0V9q9agzT

• Got a Help to buy ISA? You have an urgent decision to make or risk missing out on £1,000s. I explain in detail here? https://t.co/W5OJieZddJ

• URGENT warning to all prospective first time buyers. You need to decide NOW if you are moving your help to buy ISA? https://t.co/BDK21rkLL4

• Follow Martin