Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BananaRepublic
    • By BananaRepublic 7th Feb 18, 4:10 PM
    • 1,174Posts
    • 851Thanks
    BananaRepublic
    Pain in thigh
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:10 PM
    Pain in thigh 7th Feb 18 at 4:10 PM
    A few weeks back I started getting a pain in the left leg whenever I rolled onto that side in bed. It was a sharp pain. Yesterday when I got up from a hard seat, I had sharp pain at the top of the left leg, roughly where it meets the pelvis. I was unable to put weight on it, and when I did, I was in agony. I lifted my left knee up to my chest a few times to stretch, and the pain went away. The same thing happened at the ice rink after I put my skates on. And again it went away after some stretching, and I skated for a few hours without issues. But today there is some discomfort.

Has anyone here experienced this and if so what was the cause? I assume it is not a torn muscle or tendon since it is usually okay. So maybe a trapped nerve?

Yes I know the answer might be to see a doctor, however in the meantime I'd appreciate comments, if only because it takes ages to see a doctor, and I'd like to know how to look after my leg in the interim period.
Page 1
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 7th Feb 18, 6:48 PM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 2,059 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:48 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:48 PM
    You cannot ask for medical advice on the forum.

Can you self refer to the physio service in your area, or see someone privately?
    • BananaRepublic
    • By BananaRepublic 7th Feb 18, 7:27 PM
    • 1,174 Posts
    • 851 Thanks
    BananaRepublic
    • 7th Feb 18, 7:27 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 7:27 PM
    A quick look at threads in this forum shows that other people regularly ask health/injury related questions.
    • BananaRepublic
    • By BananaRepublic 8th Feb 18, 8:12 PM
    • 1,174 Posts
    • 851 Thanks
    BananaRepublic
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:12 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:12 PM
    I saw a doctor,it is almost certainly a trapped sciatic nerve, common, very painful and not serious.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 10th Feb 18, 1:08 PM
    • 1,493 Posts
    • 1,303 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:08 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 1:08 PM
    I saw a doctor,it is almost certainly a trapped sciatic nerve, common, very painful and not serious.
    Originally posted by BananaRepublic
    So what did they do to fix it?
    • BananaRepublic
    • By BananaRepublic 10th Feb 18, 6:41 PM
    • 1,174 Posts
    • 851 Thanks
    BananaRepublic
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:41 PM
    • 10th Feb 18, 6:41 PM
    So what did they do to fix it?
    Originally posted by parking_question_chap
    I was told to see my own doctor. I went to a walk in clinic near where I work to save taking a half day off work to see my own doctor. In retrospect I suspect the person I saw was not a doctor, but a nurse known as a senior clinician. They also checked my heart, including an ECG, and said I would need a pacemaker, that I was banned from exercise until I had seen my doctor. I have since found out that a nurse is not allowed to make a diagnosis from an ECG, and that it was not done correctly (no removal or hair at the electrode contact points) hence I intend to make a formal complaint against this person.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 11th Feb 18, 4:13 AM
    • 1,493 Posts
    • 1,303 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:13 AM
    • 11th Feb 18, 4:13 AM
    Wow, I was just asking as I had the same thing a few years back.

Went to a sports physio and got fixed with some leg/back adjustments and manipulation. It has not come back since.

Dont get me started on walk in clinics! Been several times, and not had a correct diagnosis yet, all turned out to be something totally different.
    Last edited by parking_question_chap; 11-02-2018 at 4:17 AM.
    • BananaRepublic
    • By BananaRepublic 11th Feb 18, 5:58 PM
    • 1,174 Posts
    • 851 Thanks
    BananaRepublic
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:58 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 5:58 PM
    Yeah, I asked on an ice hockey forum, and i was advised to do various stretches and exercises. They have massively improved my leg. I know have a dull ache at the base of my spine, which is far preferable to the severe pain. I was able to do one hour ice skating and one hour ice hockey yesterday and one and a half hours skating today, no pain at all. What really really hurts is the comfly chair. I!!!8217;m not kidding.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 11th Feb 18, 6:20 PM
    • 35,850 Posts
    • 46,167 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:20 PM
    • 11th Feb 18, 6:20 PM
    I was told to see my own doctor. I went to a walk in clinic near where I work to save taking a half day off work to see my own doctor. In retrospect I suspect the person I saw was not a doctor, but a nurse known as a senior clinician. They also checked my heart, including an ECG, and said I would need a pacemaker, that I was banned from exercise until I had seen my doctor. I have since found out that a nurse is not allowed to make a diagnosis from an ECG, and that it was not done correctly (no removal or hair at the electrode contact points) hence I intend to make a formal complaint against this person.
    Originally posted by BananaRepublic
    You only suspect she is not a doctor.
    She is not a nurse she is much much senior to a nurse and so will probably have the qualification to make a diagnosis. Please get your facts right before you start making sprious accusations because you only suspect. Something.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • Socajam
    • By Socajam 11th Feb 18, 7:06 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Socajam
    I find stretching really helps and if you can have a sauna.

As I get older, I find that when I get up in the morning, I really have to stretch, also when I exercise.
    Before I never stretch, now it is a must.
    I have started taking saunas after exercising and this have helped too.
    Sitting for too long as well, I can feel it in my lower back. Now I have a timer and set it for 90 minutes, after that time I get up and do some stretching.
    • BananaRepublic
    • By BananaRepublic 15th Feb 18, 7:34 AM
    • 1,174 Posts
    • 851 Thanks
    BananaRepublic
    You only suspect she is not a doctor.
    She is not a nurse she is much much senior to a nurse and so will probably have the qualification to make a diagnosis. Please get your facts right before you start making sprious accusations because you only suspect. Something.
    Originally posted by McKneff
    I see the keyboard warrior has arrived.

The person was a he. Not all nurses are female.

A senior clinician is a nurse, and not a doctor. They are entitled to make diagnoses of the more common illnesses, but not to tell someone they need a pacemaker.

Having spoken with people, I have found that it is quite common for fit people to have a low pulse rate. This person reached a spurious diagnosis from an ECG. It was not done correctly. When I had one done at my local health centre, they shaved the areas of the chest where the electrodes went. He also tore off the printed notes, which meant that when my doctor saw the ECG he gave me, it was meaningless. The senior clinician told me that I needed a pace maker fitting. He told me to take no exercise, and that if I had any chest pain, I ws to dial 999. That was thoroughly irresponsible. My own doctor drew no hasty conclusions. She thought the second ECG was fine, but rang a cardiologist to check. In future I will see my own doctor and avoid these walk in centres.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,816Posts Today

7,091Users online

Martin's Twitter