Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Joojums
    • By Joojums 7th Feb 18, 4:01 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Joojums
    Delivery insurance on Internet purchase
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:01 PM
    Delivery insurance on Internet purchase 7th Feb 18 at 4:01 PM
    I bought an item online two days ago and was given the option of adding delivery insurance at £0.88. I have never seen this before, I shop on line a lot, and would like to know if I am wrong in thinking the responsibility for the safe delivery of an item should be with the retailer and covered by the postage cost.
    Can anyone help - is this legal, and as I have not taken it will I still have recourse if it doesnít arrive. Itís only a simple beauty product not the Crown Jewels !
    Thanks .
Page 1
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 7th Feb 18, 5:19 PM
    • 11,896 Posts
    • 9,158 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:19 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:19 PM
    I bought an item online two days ago and was given the option of adding delivery insurance at £0.88. I have never seen this before, I shop on line a lot, and would like to know if I am wrong in thinking the responsibility for the safe delivery of an item should be with the retailer and covered by the postage cost.
    Can anyone help - is this legal, and as I have not taken it will I still have recourse if it doesnít arrive. Itís only a simple beauty product not the Crown Jewels !
    Thanks .
    Originally posted by Joojums
    Did it state the insurance was for missing/damages parcels?

You are indeed correct that items are at the retailers risk (providing its the retailer whos instructed the courier and not the consumer instructing their own courier). But retailers often do things they shouldn't - which is part of the reason we have consumer rights in the first place.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 7th Feb 18, 6:48 PM
    • 861 Posts
    • 1,794 Thanks
    seashore22
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:48 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:48 PM
    I sometimes see this when buying online, not too often, but now and again. I just ignore the option, as you are right, postal insurance is for the benefit of the sender, not the customer. It's usually smaller companies and one man bands that tend to do this and is probably due to naivety or ignorance. I buy a lot online and have received 2 broken items and one parcel went missing and I had refunds or replacements very easily. Problems are usually rare and you should be fine
    Last edited by seashore22; 07-02-2018 at 6:51 PM.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 7th Feb 18, 6:51 PM
    • 917 Posts
    • 788 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:51 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:51 PM
    Thanks .
    Originally posted by Joojums
    Indeed I would take it as a warning of the bad policys of the companys and not buy from tham as you are just asking for hastle in the case of issues.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 7th Feb 18, 6:57 PM
    • 861 Posts
    • 1,794 Thanks
    seashore22
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:57 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:57 PM
    Indeed I would take it as a warning of the bad policys of the companys and not buy from tham as you are just asking for hastle in the case of issues.
    Originally posted by Carrot007
    I tend to agree. Along with missing addresses and no telephone numbers, it's one of the things I look for when deciding to buy. I wouldn't stop me though if there weren't any other options for buying and if that was the only issue.
    • Joojums
    • By Joojums 7th Feb 18, 8:32 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Joojums
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:32 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:32 PM
    Thanks everyone. I!!!8217;ve never seen it before and just think it!!!8217;s a way to extort more money out of people. I didn!!!8217;t take it and would fight hard if anything went wrong but I can!!!8217;t help but feel it underhand. Really appreciate all your help !!!55357;!!!56397;!!!55356;!!!57340;
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 7th Feb 18, 8:57 PM
    • 1,077 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:57 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 8:57 PM
    Is this retailer UK-based?

UK and EU law gives you rights relating to delivery but other countries may not (or you may not be able to enforce them).

88p is an odd amount but almost exactly 1 Euro.

If it's a dodgy Chinese retailer for example it may be better to pay for the insurance regardless of the legal position.
    • Forwandert
    • By Forwandert 7th Feb 18, 10:31 PM
    • 1,018 Posts
    • 1,126 Thanks
    Forwandert
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:31 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 10:31 PM
    Only sites I've seen that you pay extra for insurance like that have been Chinese sites.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 7th Feb 18, 11:32 PM
    • 9,738 Posts
    • 10,947 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:32 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 11:32 PM
    If it's a dodgy Chinese retailer for example it may be better to pay for the insurance regardless of the legal position.
    Originally posted by dj1471
    Then again, a dodgy seller may well not pay out for a lost or damaged package irrespective of whether or not the insurance was paid for.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 8th Feb 18, 11:45 AM
    • 7,920 Posts
    • 5,769 Thanks
    pmduk
    Cotton Traders used to do it. It's certainly put me off them
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,638Posts Today

8,558Users online

Martin's Twitter