Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 7th Feb 18, 3:38 PM
    • 8,110Posts
    • 7,386Thanks
    The Deep
    Ban Judge Rinder
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:38 PM
    Ban Judge Rinder 7th Feb 18 at 3:38 PM
    This programme gives a totally false, and somewhat intimidating, impression of the small claims court.

All the courtrooms I have been in comprise a table and chairs. around which both sides and the judge sit and thrash the matter out. A bit like a PATAS adjudication. .

No flags, dock, lecterns, gowns, ushers, shouty Dancing Queens, just a shrivelled retired solicitor in a bad suit.

Is it any wonder that the timid Timothys and doddering Delias who come here are so in awe of them
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
Page 1
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 7th Feb 18, 3:44 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,278 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:44 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:44 PM
    but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, its tv , and bloody daytime tv at that
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 7th Feb 18, 3:49 PM
    • 8,110 Posts
    • 7,386 Thanks
    The Deep
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:49 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:49 PM
    But I go to bed at seven.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • StaffsSW
    • By StaffsSW 7th Feb 18, 4:22 PM
    • 5,426 Posts
    • 5,508 Thanks
    StaffsSW
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:22 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:22 PM
    Some combined court centres are like that though - I took one of my admin team to a hearing a while back, and told her it would just be like our MDs office, and nothing like the TV courtroom dramas.

It was full on wood panelling, crests on the wall, red leather chairs and pews behind us. The DJ even quipped that it made him feel like a proper judge, as he usually feels like a headmaster overseeing a schoolboy squabble.

Very impressive, slightly imposing, but somewhat overkill for a £180 parking ticket claim!

Anyway - I like Judge Rinder - his "contestants" make me realise that my life isn't so bad after all.
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
    • StaffsSW
    • By StaffsSW 7th Feb 18, 4:23 PM
    • 5,426 Posts
    • 5,508 Thanks
    StaffsSW
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:23 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:23 PM
    But I go to bed at seven.
    Originally posted by The Deep
    Is that when the nurses put you to bed....?!

Are you turning into Moz?!

Last edited by StaffsSW; 07-02-2018 at 4:38 PM.
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 7th Feb 18, 4:28 PM
    • 2,683 Posts
    • 4,020 Thanks
    fisherjim
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:28 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:28 PM
    but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, its tv , and bloody daytime tv at that
    Originally posted by pappa golf
    Yes I agree, but TD is probably right, some people believe Walford exists, and the huge city of Holby including it's international airport, two main hospitals, port, and seafront etc are real!
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 7th Feb 18, 5:17 PM
    • 3,964 Posts
    • 4,017 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:17 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:17 PM
    It's just a British Judge Judy ....
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • sleepymans
    • By sleepymans 7th Feb 18, 5:20 PM
    • 665 Posts
    • 986 Thanks
    sleepymans
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:20 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:20 PM
    I dislike the way he tries to milk the participant's emotions....embarrassing!
    Goddess
    • waamo
    • By waamo 7th Feb 18, 5:24 PM
    • 2,608 Posts
    • 3,195 Thanks
    waamo
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:24 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:24 PM
    Crown Court was much better.
    This space for hire.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 7th Feb 18, 5:29 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,278 Thanks
    pappa golf
    Crown Court was much better.
    Originally posted by waamo
    the woodentops was better as well

and that was daytime tv
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
    • muleskinner
    • By muleskinner 7th Feb 18, 5:58 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    muleskinner
    I had one small claims hearing that was in a full-on massive wood-panelled room, judge behind lectern, that kind of thing. Claimant and Defendant in the 'gallery' below just like you see it on TV.

Others were just round a table.

I think it just depends what's on at the court and what space happens to be available.

I was winding up my wife about the hearing we have coming up next week (she's Defendant and I'm lay rep) by saying there's going to be a jury and she should pack a toothbrush and pyjamas in case things don't go so well.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 7th Feb 18, 6:11 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,278 Thanks
    pappa golf
    I had one small claims hearing that was in a full-on massive wood-panelled room, judge behind lectern, that kind of thing. Claimant and Defendant in the 'gallery' below just like you see it on TV.

Others were just round a table.

I think it just depends what's on at the court and what space happens to be available.

I was winding up my wife about the hearing we have coming up next week (she's Defendant and I'm lay rep) by saying there's going to be a jury and she should pack a toothbrush and pyjamas in case things don't go so well.
    Originally posted by muleskinner

I think"pack a toothbrush" HAS been said by a judge in one case , however it was not to the defendant

someone might recall it and link to it

edit , link suplied

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=16231
    Last edited by pappa golf; 07-02-2018 at 6:48 PM.
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 7th Feb 18, 6:20 PM
    • 6,936 Posts
    • 9,019 Thanks
    beamerguy

Originally posted by muleskinner
    HAHA ...... don't mention the stale bread and water will you
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 7th Feb 18, 6:24 PM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 9,278 Thanks
    pappa golf
    ahh , dont mention lunch at Greggs?
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 7th Feb 18, 6:27 PM
    • 6,936 Posts
    • 9,019 Thanks
    beamerguy
    This programme gives a totally false, and somewhat intimidating, impression of the small claims court.

All the courtrooms I have been in comprise a table and chairs. around which both sides and the judge sit and thrash the matter out. A bit like a PATAS adjudication. .

No flags, dock, lecterns, gowns, ushers, shouty Dancing Queens, just a shrivelled retired solicitor in a bad suit.

Is it any wonder that the timid Timothys and doddering Delias who come here are so in awe of them
    Originally posted by The Deep
    Rinder had a small horse in court today and was talking to him

Guess it must be similar in the CC where a judge finds
    he is talking to donkeys about their claims
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Johnersh
    • By Johnersh 7th Feb 18, 6:28 PM
    • 815 Posts
    • 1,550 Thanks
    Johnersh
    Next you'll be complaining that Rob Rinder isn't even a real judge!

In fairness, opinion IS divided in the profession - see here for example: https://www.legalcheek.com/2018/01/qc-launches-scathing-attack-on-judge-rinder-for-denigrating-the-law/ but most agree it's harmless fun...

When the credits roll at the start, you'll also see the disclaimer that it's not a Court at all and that the parties have agreed to mediate the settlement. There's a lot to be said for reading small print...

And on a final point. Only auctioneers use gavels. The Courts really don't...
    "The best advice I ever got was that knowledge is power and to keep reading."
    DISCLAIMER: I post thoughts as & when they occur. I'm unlikely to respond to DMs seeking personal advice. It's ill-advised & you lose the benefit of a group "take" on events.
    Your home is at risk if you don't meet mortgage payments or other loans secured on it
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 7th Feb 18, 6:31 PM
    • 16,619 Posts
    • 25,965 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    I think"pack a toothbrush" HAS been said by a judge in one case , however it was not to the defendant

someone might recall it and link to it
    Originally posted by pappa golf
    http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=16231)

Yes I agree, but TD is probably right, some people believe Walford exists, and the huge city of Holby including it's international airport, two main hospitals, port, and seafront etc are real!
    Originally posted by fisherjim
    Or Corrie’s Weatherfield A&E, High Dependency and Infirmary, the Weatherfield Gazette, Weatherfield FC, Weatherfield Crown Court, Weatherfield Prison ........ need I go on? We’ve yet to see a Weatherfield ANPR car park infested by one of our favourites - but there’s still a few months left until Sir Greg Knight kills them off!
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 7th Feb 18, 6:36 PM
    • 2,608 Posts
    • 3,195 Thanks
    waamo
    ITV pay out rather than the so called defendants. A cheeky pair found this out and successfully got £5000 over a made up case.
    This space for hire.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,664Posts Today

9,717Users online

Martin's Twitter