Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tjdetweiler
    • By tjdetweiler 7th Feb 18, 2:14 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    tjdetweiler
    No BT Fibre available at new property
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:14 PM
    No BT Fibre available at new property 7th Feb 18 at 2:14 PM
    I'm due to move in to a new rented house on March 1st, and I've annoyingly discovered that it is in the 5% of the country which still doesn't have access to BT's 'Superfast Broadband'.

From the BT website it looks like I'll only be getting 3MB speeds over their Standard Broadband, which isn't really enough for the household.

Virgin Fibre is available, but at £29 per month is pretty pricey and I've also not had great experiences with them in the past.

We've signed a 12 month contract on the property so ideally I want to try and synchronise a 12 month broadband contract with it as closely as possible (so that I'm not paying for extra weeks/months after I've moved out).

Is there anything I can do other than accept slow speeds or go with Virgin? If I sign up for BT and then their Superfast Broadband becomes available in the next 12 months would I be able to upgrade to it hassle free? Or would I still be tied to the slower speed broadband?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 7th Feb 18, 2:31 PM
    • 10,177 Posts
    • 4,227 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:31 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:31 PM
    Yes you should be able to upgrade but starting a new contract .
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 7th Feb 18, 5:11 PM
    • 2,636 Posts
    • 721 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:11 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 5:11 PM
    new virgin contracts tend to be 18 months (or 9 months for student)
    Therefore if you leave after 12 months, and your new place doesn't have virgin connection, you have have to pay termination fee's of £monthly amount x 6 months.

P.S The last 6 months tends to be more expensive too.

example here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73845613#post73845613
    • J B
    • By J B 7th Feb 18, 6:30 PM
    • 2,570 Posts
    • 862 Thanks
    J B
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:30 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:30 PM
    I'm due to move in to a new rented house on March 1st, and I've annoyingly discovered that it is in the 5% of the country which still doesn't have access to BT's 'Superfast Broadband'.
    Originally posted by tjdetweiler
    Welcome to the rural world!!

Our exchange has just been 'fibre enabled'

I asked my ISP about it and they suggested that our 2½ meg speed would double to 5 meg if we went with Fibre ... we declined!

• Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 8th Feb 18, 8:00 AM
    • 13,559 Posts
    • 17,787 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:00 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:00 AM
    This?

http://www.three.co.uk/Store/Mobile_Broadband
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • Lokolo
    • By Lokolo 8th Feb 18, 8:41 AM
    • 19,937 Posts
    • 15,057 Thanks
    Lokolo
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:41 AM
    • 8th Feb 18, 8:41 AM
    Usually when you change package with BT they make you take out a new 12/18 month contract.
    • tjdetweiler
    • By tjdetweiler 8th Feb 18, 1:51 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tjdetweiler
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:51 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 1:51 PM
    Thanks for all your responses! They've definitely cleared up quite a few things for me.

That's really annoying that BT make you sign up for another 12 month contract to upgrade. Signing up for slow broadband and then having to pay for additional months of superfast broadband isn't very appetising.

4G Internet is really appealing to me (it's a shame Relish isn't available outside of London) however the data cap on most contracts is a real issue for me.

Has anyone had any experience negotiating with Virgin to try and get a 12 month contract as opposed to an 18 month one? If this could be possible then it might be worth considering.

P.S. Sadly I'm still not a member of the rural world (as much as I'd like to be)! I'm moving to central Oxford which is why I was so surprised at the lack of fibre.
    Last edited by tjdetweiler; 08-02-2018 at 1:54 PM.
    • Chrishazle
    • By Chrishazle 8th Feb 18, 4:15 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    Chrishazle
    • 8th Feb 18, 4:15 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 4:15 PM
    Usually when you change package with BT they make you take out a new 12/18 month contract.
    Originally posted by Lokolo
    And beware, they often do not tell you - and it's not just when you change package! Last October I had a problem with my Youview+ box (8 months old), after a 30 minute call with their tech help people they sent a replacement box, but did not tell me they were also starting a new 12 month contract from that date - not just for my BTTV, but also for my line rental and infinity 2 fibre broadband!! This only came to light 20th December when my monthly statement arrived, I'm still trying to sort out the mess with BT, but have at least been able to negotiate a new contract for 50p/month more (for the entire identical package) than I've been paying for the past 12 months.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 8th Feb 18, 6:40 PM
    • 8,810 Posts
    • 5,237 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:40 PM
    • 8th Feb 18, 6:40 PM
    Welcome to the rural world!!

Our exchange has just been 'fibre enabled'

I asked my ISP about it and they suggested that our 2½ meg speed would double to 5 meg if we went with Fibre ... we declined!

Originally posted by J B
    It's not just rural areas that have no fibre. We are well within a city, a mile from the exchange which has been enabled for about 2 years and all premises beyond our estate have access.

We do get about 5 Mbps ADSL, though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

403Posts Today

4,599Users online

Martin's Twitter