Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Oddjob
    • By Oddjob 7th Feb 18, 2:02 PM
    • 397Posts
    • 120Thanks
    Oddjob
    memory sticks/flash drive
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:02 PM
    memory sticks/flash drive 7th Feb 18 at 2:02 PM
    I need a memory stick to back up pictures and documents, so I need a good one.
    Has anyone had a Toshiba memory stick.
    Otherwise, which brand is best, SanDisk, Integral, Cruiser or Kingston?

TIA
Page 1
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 7th Feb 18, 2:06 PM
    • 2,562 Posts
    • 2,790 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:06 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:06 PM
    Don't use memory sticks as a backup - even the good ones fail. Use them for short term storage or moving files.

For backup use a proper external drive and have a second back up elsewhere (maybe cloud based).
    • Oddjob
    • By Oddjob 7th Feb 18, 2:22 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    Oddjob
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:22 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:22 PM
    I do have an external drive - a Samsung 1TB . I am trying to do a back up of my photos using the Kaspersky back up feature onto it but it seems to be spending hours 'preparing data' and I don't think its doing much. It didn't take this long to back up my Data(D) drive, I used Macrium Reflect to do that. Will the photos, music, videos be in the backup on there anyway I can't seem to see what is in there.
    Thanks for your help
    • Oddjob
    • By Oddjob 7th Feb 18, 2:26 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    Oddjob
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:26 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:26 PM
    Don't use memory sticks as a backup - even the good ones fail. Use them for short term storage or moving files.

For backup use a proper external drive and have a second back up elsewhere (maybe cloud based).
    Originally posted by TonyMMM
    I don't know how you do a cloud based back up, sorry, not very technical.
    I'm still trying to find out if pictures in Google get deleted if you delete them off your phone.
    There are some on my phone that I want to put on my laptop, then delete from my phone. Google isn't linked to my laptop.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 7th Feb 18, 3:21 PM
    • 3,287 Posts
    • 2,401 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:21 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:21 PM
    Google isn't linked to my laptop.
    Originally posted by Oddjob

Just log into google from their home page
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 7th Feb 18, 3:25 PM
    • 9,987 Posts
    • 7,467 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:25 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:25 PM
    I used Macrium Reflect to do that. Will the photos, music, videos be in the backup on there anyway I can't seem to see what is in there.
    Thanks for your help
    f you used Reflect to create an image of your drive, you have to re-instate that image onto a drive to see what's in that image, you can't just open the macrium-created image file.
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • Oddjob
    • By Oddjob 7th Feb 18, 4:26 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    Oddjob
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:26 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:26 PM
    f you used Reflect to create an image of your drive, you have to re-instate that image onto a drive to see what's in that image, you can't just open the macrium-created image file.
    Originally posted by GunJack
    Thank you but how do I do that?
    • Oddjob
    • By Oddjob 7th Feb 18, 4:33 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    Oddjob
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:33 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:33 PM
    Just log into google from their home page
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    I have logged into Google from their home page but my photos from my phone aren't there yet my phone says they are.
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 7th Feb 18, 4:41 PM
    • 5,727 Posts
    • 2,205 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:41 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 4:41 PM
    have you got back up & sync switched on?
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 7th Feb 18, 4:43 PM
    • 8,409 Posts
    • 6,340 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    I have logged into Google from their home page but my photos from my phone aren't there yet my phone says they are.
    Have used the same email that you used on your phone?
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 7th Feb 18, 4:45 PM
    • 17,144 Posts
    • 27,896 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    By any chance do you pay for Amazon Prime? If you do, there's unlimited photo storage online available
    • Oddjob
    • By Oddjob 7th Feb 18, 4:53 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    Oddjob
    have you got back up & sync switched on?
    Originally posted by dipsomaniac
    Have I got it switched on where? The photos on my phone come up that they are on Google, they seem to go on there on their own but my laptop photos aren't.
    • Oddjob
    • By Oddjob 7th Feb 18, 4:59 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    Oddjob
    Have used the same email that you used on your phone?
    Originally posted by debitcardmayhem
    I thought I had but when I try to log in with my email address that I thought I had used it says it doesn't exist.

When I log in with my phone its going to my gmail address but there are no photos there when I go to images.
    • Oddjob
    • By Oddjob 7th Feb 18, 5:00 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    Oddjob
    By any chance do you pay for Amazon Prime? If you do, there's unlimited photo storage online available
    Originally posted by ringo_24601
    No I don't do Amazon Prime.
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 7th Feb 18, 5:04 PM
    • 17,144 Posts
    • 27,896 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    Why don't you just copy over the photos manually from your PC onto the external 1TB drive? There is no need to do it using software

In terms of memory sticks.. I've never really had any problem with any brands. I have a 128GB USB stick that's taken quite a beating, and that was just a cheap one - https://www.mymemory.co.uk/mymemory-128gb-usb-3-0-flash-drive-25mb-s-red.html
    • Oddjob
    • By Oddjob 7th Feb 18, 5:29 PM
    • 397 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    Oddjob
    Why don't you just copy over the photos manually from your PC onto the external 1TB drive? There is no need to do it using software

In terms of memory sticks.. I've never really had any problem with any brands. I have a 128GB USB stick that's taken quite a beating, and that was just a cheap one - https://www.mymemory.co.uk/mymemory-128gb-usb-3-0-flash-drive-25mb-s-red.html
    Originally posted by ringo_24601
    Thank you, it has now finished putting the photo file on the external hard drive but it took ages, it is now taking ages to do the same to the video folder and I think there is only a tiny video of a couple of minute long on there. I might have to try and put the music on manually. I don't know if they would have been moved over anyway when I copied the Data (D) drive onto it. I can't get in to the backup file to look.
    • kwikbreaks
    • By kwikbreaks 7th Feb 18, 5:37 PM
    • 8,855 Posts
    • 4,432 Thanks
    kwikbreaks
    Originally posted by GunJack
    I felt sure I'd seen the option to mount a macrium reflect image and browse it so i looked and found https://www.howtogeek.com/226436/how-to-mount-a-macrium-reflect-backup-image-to-retrieve-files/ there are limitations as mentioned but you may well be able to access and retrieve individual files.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 7th Feb 18, 9:04 PM
    • 9,987 Posts
    • 7,467 Thanks
    GunJack
    Thank you but how do I do that?
    boot the pc with the Reflect DVD/USB you should have already created, plug in the external drive you have the image saved on, and restore the image to the drive of your choice
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 7th Feb 18, 9:08 PM
    • 9,987 Posts
    • 7,467 Thanks
    GunJack
    I felt sure I'd seen the option to mount a macrium reflect image and browse it so i looked and found https://www.howtogeek.com/226436/how-to-mount-a-macrium-reflect-backup-image-to-retrieve-files/ there are limitations as mentioned but you may well be able to access and retrieve individual files.
    Originally posted by kwikbreaks
    Ooh, looks like I may need to get a newer version of Macrium, I'm pretty positive my (somewhat older) version doesn't support this - nice find kb
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 8th Feb 18, 8:17 AM
    • 5,727 Posts
    • 2,205 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    Have I got it switched on where? The photos on my phone come up that they are on Google, they seem to go on there on their own but my laptop photos aren't.
    you need to either download google backup & sync on your laptop or upload the images on your laptop to google photos.

they won't back up themselves like on your phone
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

171Posts Today

1,624Users online

Martin's Twitter