Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Catpuss66
    • By Catpuss66 7th Feb 18, 1:35 PM
    • 37Posts
    • 33Thanks
    Catpuss66
    Kitchen refurb ... need help
    • 7th Feb 18, 1:35 PM
    Kitchen refurb ... need help 7th Feb 18 at 1:35 PM
    Ok want to refurb a Shriber/ hygena kitchen would like painted doors, seems that this is not possible, got quotes coming in only a small kitchen (11 doors)first quote 6k with basic equipment , people only want to change to vinyl wapped doors already had those ! Don't need to change sink , taps or worktop, but end panels need to go. Any tips greatly received. Just waiting for refurb companies to give quotes.
Page 1
    • Furts
    • By Furts 7th Feb 18, 2:51 PM
    • 3,876 Posts
    • 2,466 Thanks
    Furts
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:51 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:51 PM
    If everybody is offering you vinyl wrapped doors then two things are evident. First you are not doing your homework - you set the Specification and you call the shots. Second you are dealing with cheapskate companies who have no interest in quality, sustainability, workmanship or no doubt, anything else.

You only have to go to B&Q to establish how cheap kitchen units are. Just an approx example is a corner base unit is a big and expensive unit because it is 90 degrees. This can be cheap and nasty or you can pay for the better quality range. The better one is about £60 so why are you talking about £6000 for a small kitchen?

If you are not over fussy a handyman service could refurb/upgrade your kitchen for a piffling amount relative to £6000.
    • Niv
    • By Niv 7th Feb 18, 2:53 PM
    • 1,572 Posts
    • 1,357 Thanks
    Niv
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:53 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:53 PM
    So is it just doors and end panels you want changed? Couldn't you just buy the doors yourself and switch? They would already be predrilled for the hinges, all you need to do it sort the door sizes. End panels could maybe be primed and painted?

To me this does not sound like a 6k job, but I guess it depends on the doors (and how many).
    YNWA

Target: Mortgage free by 58.
    • cranford
    • By cranford 7th Feb 18, 3:45 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    cranford
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:45 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:45 PM
    If you look at DIY Kitchens you can find painted doors.
    http://www.diy-kitchens.com/kitchen-doors/painted/
    This will show you the price if you put in the sizes. However you many need to buy/hire a Hinge jig from them to drill the holes.
    They will send you samples at a returnable cost.
    They also do end panels etc but you need to select a kitchen style first to view.

http://www.diy-kitchens.com/kitchen-units/end-panels/

I was going to a refurb but when I saw their pre assembled units I went for the complete kitchen. Seven years ago a painted door kitchen with 11 units was about £2k including plinths,pelmets cornices etc but no end panels needed as units are colour coded.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

207Posts Today

1,486Users online

Martin's Twitter