Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ryanm8655
    • By ryanm8655 7th Feb 18, 1:34 PM
    • 62Posts
    • 8Thanks
    ryanm8655
    Estate agent fees payment - credit card?
    • 7th Feb 18, 1:34 PM
    Estate agent fees payment - credit card? 7th Feb 18 at 1:34 PM
    Hi all,

Am moving flat and had references accepted etc.

Paid a holding fee by credit card, had planned to pay the balance by credit card (around £5k more to pay). To my surprise the agent has said they aren't able to accept payment by credit card...

I explained I paid the holding deposit (£500) by credit card and they then said it must've been one of the final payments they accepted before the change in legislation...though the payment was made 2 weeks after the legislation change...

I had forgotten about the legislation change, which means they aren't able to charge a fee for credit cards anymore...so I can understand why they aren't keen...they'd be losing around £100 effectively (though I'd happily take the hit)...

I understand they are perfectly entitled to turn down payment by credit card if they wish, but is there any point in pushing the point? Does their initial acceptance have any implications?

The main issue is one of cash-flow...I have £3k tied up in my deposit on the current flat...I could pay cash at a stretch but would rather not if possible...

Thanks,
    Ryan
Page 1
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 7th Feb 18, 2:52 PM
    • 5,829 Posts
    • 5,573 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:52 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 2:52 PM
    If you've entered into a contract, and the contract allowed you to pay by credit card (e.g. because the agent told you that), and now they are refusing to allow it - that would be breach of contract/misrepresentation, so you might have a case.

Otherwise, some credit cards allow money transfers into your bank account (but I guess you know this).

I guess this is an 'unintended consequence' of the new legislation. People are also complaining that government departments will no longer accept credit cards - so they can't put their tax bill on a credit card!
    • ryanm8655
    • By ryanm8655 7th Feb 18, 3:12 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    ryanm8655
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:12 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:12 PM
    Hmm...that's an interesting point re: contract.

We made an offer for the flat and with that off paid the holding deposit by credit card...I'm not a lawyer but iirc there is something about past relations in contract law but not sure if that would apply here. Also I guess you could argue we made an offer, that offer was accepted and our deposit taken by credit card which constitutes consideration and therefore a contract is formed...hence it's implicit that credit card is an acceptable form of payment...so by not accepting they are breaching contract. I'm not a lawyer so that could be completely wrong...

I am yet to sign the tenancy agreement, so probably even less applicable.

Yes, exactly...I am happy to pay credit card fees as a price of convenience.

Thanks.
    Last edited by ryanm8655; 07-02-2018 at 3:27 PM.
    • RADDERS
    • By RADDERS 7th Feb 18, 3:31 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    RADDERS
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:31 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 3:31 PM
    I believe that if the contract was entered into before the legislation then you can still pay the balance by the credit card as you had paid the deposit by credit card.
    The same is if you had booked a holiday last year then you can pay the balance by credit card as the contract was entered into before the legislation.
    • ryanm8655
    • By ryanm8655 7th Feb 18, 6:51 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    ryanm8655
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:51 PM
    • 7th Feb 18, 6:51 PM
    It wasn't - we made the offer and paid holding deposit post legislation and the tenancy agreement will be signed/begin post legislation also.

So I guess the answer is no and I should just pay in cash...

Essentially my plan was to make use of a 0% credit card offer and stick some cash in investments...just means I can't do that...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,430Posts Today

8,817Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Happy Birthday Jordon. 21 today. Wish you as good a day as you can, and hope you are out of hospital and on the m? https://t.co/G0V9q9agzT

• Got a Help to buy ISA? You have an urgent decision to make or risk missing out on £1,000s. I explain in detail here? https://t.co/W5OJieZddJ

• URGENT warning to all prospective first time buyers. You need to decide NOW if you are moving your help to buy ISA? https://t.co/BDK21rkLL4

• Follow Martin